Moroccan wins first annual Holocaust cartoon contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smileys
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Maybe if we fed Ahmadinejad Danish feta, he's arteries would clog, causing his head to implode?
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

No. Lets lure him to visit Norway and attach moose horns to him with superglue
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

I checked out the 'Latuff' toons that Spiff linked and thought they were all crap.
          All the same, repetetive, victim theme, mostly with the tired old image of the evil Zionists murdering babies ...

Comment

Some of those are actually quite good and far better as political cartoons than the one that won.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Erm, not really.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I agree with Imran from a purly *warning totaly made up word ahead* "cartoon-o-forensic" point of view several of these are better. My favorites are number 5 and 6 for the fact that they take aim at the meta-debate surrounding their own publication, quite fresh and clever.

In my book a good political cartoon needs to be imediatly desiferable, if it takes any real analysis to "get it" the cartoon isn't being clear enough. Meaning should be conveyed using strong visual symbols in preference to text. If text is part of the cartoon it should be short concise and funny dialog spoke by a charactrue to achive the punchline of the comic or in a caption below the comic FarSide style.

I've found that many poor cartoons use excesivly stretched visual metaphors that require actualy labels to understand what symbolizes what. The use of black and white holocaust pictures in several comics was a good visual way to comunicate a complex idea. The winning cartoon realy feels like its missing a caption and it just dosn't instantly click the way all of the runner ups cartoons do.

A Great cartoon is both funny and comunicates some non-trivial point to the viewer. I've always found that forign cartoons are hit or miss on being funny, it dosen't seem that unfunny political cartoons are viable in the US but they are in other places. Regardless of what a cartoon is trying to say being funny enhances it by making the viewer remember the cartoon longer. Their also seems to be something about humor that "lowers the mental firewall" so to say and makes you more condusive to new ideas.

On the subject of a cartoons point I find that a most of these Haulocaust comics are shallow in that they dont realy bring any new thoughts or angles to the debate. They simply re-hash the same rather tired rhetoric of the political establishment. Take for example the Israli-Gasoline-on-Burning-Baby-Lebonon comic. This cartoon gets a 10 for use of visual metaphor the five key visual sysmbols I named it after imediatly comunicate the comic without the need for any words. It sumarizes the message its "Isreal is cruly attacking an inocent Lebanon" their realy nothing very original or though provoking about that message. It dosn't realy get "under the skin" so to say, it has a very "preaching to the choire" feel as do all the cartoons. The very mainstream messages seen in these comics probably reflects the Iranian goverments selection criteria, their obvosly selecting comics that translate into their chossen sound bites, this gives the impression of a ham handed use of a medium that has historicaly never need directly used by goverment, comics may be inherently subversive.

Another interesting point is that non of the comics seem to be blatant halocaust denials, rather they reflect a general "The Isralias exploit the Halocaust to commit crimes" tone. This might have been a high level desision by the Iranian goverment to reject comics that had a denial tone to them as I'm shure they got lots of submisions of that nature.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

I'm hooked on monkey phonics!

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I don't think the cartoons posted here are hard at all to understand. They are not making a joke about the Holocaust or even denying it, but stating the view that many Muslims feel that Israel is using it to cover up for atrocities and land grabbing. I think the first one makes the point just fine without being offense. The second one is a little more offense with the guy with the axe, but really nothing more that what can be found on many other topics of violence and inequality.

The main problem with at least 2 of Latuff's cartoons is that they are comparing the Holocaust to Islam directly. They imply that we should either consider the Holocaust as an enthic relgious group or Islam as a horrible human atrocity. He's trying to show Western hypocrisy but the execution is poor. His others point out the plight and suffering of the Palistinians, but really don't add much. Cort Haus and Impaler cover this well.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      The main problem with at least 2 of Latuff's cartoons is that they are comparing the Holocaust to Islam directly..
                      Yes, I found that odd. The cartoons were saying "Uh, it's ok in teh West to laugh at Islam but not at the Holocaust :not-fair:".

This misses the point - that for a start the Holocaust isn't funny, (unless you're are murderous anti-semite) and neither it is it a religion. If the moronic artist had thought for half a second about how the mocking of Christianity in the West is part of the furniture, he'd have realised how small-minded he was.

No matter. He obviously thinks the Holocaust is a laughing matter, so we know where he's coming from.

Comment

The cartoon implies that A. Israelis are murdering palestinians, in a way comparable to the Shoah
                        and B. The world cant see it, because memorialization of the Shoah gets in the way.
                        oops, now I get it. The 2nd cartoon made it more clear to me. But to say a cartoon is invalid because its an exaggeration kinda misses the point of a cartoon.

Comment

That's an awesome synchronised vomiting.

Comment

What a great cartoon they choose

Seriously, it's a very, very well thought-out concept. Easy to understand and quick on the symbolism - it only falters in artistic stature (and obviously enough, the theme argued)

Sorry Spiff, but the contest was not "Tasteless". It was deliberately provocative, yet still something that has to be put up with. I absolutely love the Jews, especially those who ran parallel versions of this contest in response

People who are capable of creating a work like this winner are the ones who need to be at the forefront of logical debate regarding the Israeli question. They're confused on the issue, but still entirely competent, entirely talented - in eventual potential of logical debate to reach understanding.

Now the cartoon that's pictured beside this article.. holy f*cking wow, that's a useless piece of garbage if ever there were.

"Oh! Real Holocaust Lies Here!"

ha ha ha ha ha! Oh! Not only so funny! Me real English speaking like monkey!

That's the kind of person that can be picked out as a target. Not only confused, but completely worthless in mind and capability. No potential in that human being.

The contest itself must be tolerated. It's the entries within that gauge whether or not the individuals are primitive lemmings who need to be struck down. So don't bash the media concept. However misdirected, use it as a tool!

Comment

Why are so many of them from Brazil? Last I heard Brazil was in danger of a complete takeover by the Pentacostals, not by the muslims.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

over a quarter million germans emmigrated to brazil in the late XIX early XX century, there are millions of brazilian germans nowadays, the most famous one is the supermodel Giselle Bundchen.

I imagine it must be because of that (not that all germans are nazis, )
                                I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                                X