No announcement yet.

Moroccan wins first annual Holocaust cartoon contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, Israel is walling itself in so that the image of a death camp faces her. Is the artist sending a message - leave or this awaits you? Or is he saying, let go of the past or it will consume you... And why did he win? I'd like to hear the judges take on the cartoon.

Comment

For reference, here are some drawings made by the Brazilian second-rank winner. The first one seems to be the drawing that made him a winner.

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

BTW, I've seen this cartoon by the winner, and I think it is better than the one in the OP. At least it has something cartoonish to it

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I think the cartoon is quite clever actually. And I don't mind about the topic being displayed. We can't deny them the freedom of speech that allowed the Muhammad cartoons to be published...
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
            I think the cartoon is quite clever actually. And I don't mind about the topic being displayed. We can't deny them the freedom of speech that allowed the Muhammad cartoons to be published...
            Indeed. BTW, a Danish newspaper (don't know if it's the Jyllands Posten or not) chose to publish some of these cartoons. I expect quite a few newspapers in the west to follow suit.

Comment

If I were to post a "YAWN" in this thread, would I be a bigger or smaller hypocrite than Ahmadinejad?
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Dutchmen print Mohammed cartoons, therefore the Jews did it. Therefore there is:
                a) No Holocaust
                b) A Palestinian Holocaust perpetrated by the jews that is worse than the original
                c) Both a) and b), contradictory and retarded though it may seem.
                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

In related news, we've made it all the way to second place on the list of Egypt's worst enemies... or to be precise, the most hostile countries in the minds of Egyptians.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Isn't moron misspelled in the thread title?
                    Blah

Comment

Meh.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a Moroccan embassy to firebomb...

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

This rumor exists in Syria too?

Among Jews, the Iranian Jews have the reputation of being very "savings-oriented" as well
                        I know precisely one affluent Iranian Jewish rug dealer, and hes one of the most generous people I know.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

this inspires me to, to

1. Go out and by yet more Danish cheese

2. Go out and buy something from Israel.

3. Give more money to Zionist causes.

Sure they have the right to publish it. And the cartoons should be reprinted here.

The advantages to reprinting, beyond our own commitment to freedom of speech are
                          A. It gives us a chance to deconstruct the assumptions behind the cartoons, to respond
                          B. It shows the muslim world we are serious about freedom of speech
                          C. It shows us what we are dealing with in Iran.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                              BTW, I've seen this cartoon by the winner, and I think it is better than the one in the OP. At least it has something cartoonish to it
                              I know you are only suggesting it by way of comparison, so dont take this as directed at you.

The cartoon implies that A. Israelis are murdering palestinians, in a way comparable to the Shoah
                              and B. The world cant see it, because memorialization of the Shoah gets in the way.

A is false, as you and I have discussed before.
                              B is also false - even here in the US we hear considerably more about every bad thing that happens to Palestinians, than we do about say, what happens in Congo, or Burma, or Darfur, or - well the list goes on and on. And AFAICT the publicity to the bad things that happen to Palestinians is far greater in the rest of the world.

Comment

- and I shall continue to consume copious amounts of Danish Bacon every week in solidarity. I shall also get down to the music stalls in Camden Market and buy some more Israeli Psychedelic Trance albums.

The advantages to reprinting, beyond our own commitment to freedom of speech are
                                A. It gives us a chance to deconstruct the assumptions behind the cartoons, to respond
                                B. It shows the muslim world we are serious about freedom of speech
                                C. It shows us what we are dealing with in Iran.

Comment

Working...
                                X