When would you like to live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
    Well, I consider the most essential aspect of civilization to be grand, glorious Modern Plumbing, so there's no way I'm leaving the 20th century.
    QFT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

Sports Betting seems a much quicker way to wealth, and considering how hard it was for many people to get a job in the 1970s it would be better to have something that can snowball a lot more quickly.
      Yeah, but when you get suspiciously lucky with Microsoft stock, Vinnie the Geek doesn't come around to break your legs...
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yeah, but when you get suspiciously lucky with Microsoft stock, Vinnie the Geek doesn't come around to break your legs...
          As strange as it seems a winning sports bettor is an asset to a bookie. The only enemy is the loser who won't or can't pay his debts. This is because you really aren't betting against the bookie when you bet, you are betting against other bettors, with the bookie taking his cut of the action from the losers. It is his job to find bettors to bet against the others, by adjusting his line if necessary or sometimes by "laying off" an over-investment on one side of a line with another bookie who has the opposite problem. A connected bookie could always join you by betting with other bookies if he thought you were always going to win. And finally, you could always bet in Las Vegas where it was legal throughout the period in question.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Well, I consider the most essential aspect of civilization to be grand, glorious Modern Plumbing, so there's no way I'm leaving the 20th century.
            So you don't want to go to a public bathroom and carry your butt cleaning stick everywhere.
            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
            The video may avatar is from

Comment

Answering for MRT:

Anytime where there are no STDs.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                Don't know about others, but I had one in '74, and again in '77.
                I remember having to wait for the shower both years. Man you're slow.
                What?

Comment

Does anybody have the transparent aluminum formula?
                  What?

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                    I remember having to wait for the shower both years. Man you're slow.

But clocks weren't even invented, what could I do?

Comment

If I go back to the 70s can I speak to my younger self? You see there were two instances where I could have initiated a sexual relationship and didn't -- two that I regret. I figure if I could speak to myself, I could get a do-over.

Would it really warp the timeline too much?
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I wouldn't mind a "do-over" on the 60's, but I don't think I would want to go back there at this age. Like Flubber, there are a few relationships I would do differently, and a few choices I would like to have another shot at. The problem is you lose the good with the bad once you change course back there.

However, if I got one chance to go to any era, I think I'd like to jump ahead (say 2100, nothing too weird) and then read the history of now to then. That would be fun.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Sports Betting seems a much quicker way to wealth, and considering how hard it was for many people to get a job in the 1970s it would be better to have something that can snowball a lot more quickly.
                          1987 stock market crash, you could have turned 12 dollar puts into 10k dollar puts, and built a margin pyramid so massive it would have broken the exchange to pay you
                          Last edited by Whoha; October 26, 2006, 12:43.

Comment

2000-200BC

But this is only if I could go back with the knowledge I have now.

And if I could adequately prepare myself for going back... i.e. going through more rigorous physical training, survival training, fighting skills, etc...

I would be able to take control and organize effective leadership of an administration. I could build an empire.

I'd also have about 1,000 children. I'd put Ramses to shame.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sports betting? perhaps . .. But what if your peresence in the past causes the spouse of a key athlete to be just a few minutes late and get in a big accident. Would her now distracted hubbie now actually hit the winning homerun for [ insert past underdog winner here]--

Most things would still probably procede exactly the same but the smallest influence might turn a given sporting event-- Once X team instead of Y team wins a given superbowl that probably c hanges the trades and signings and management decisions of a couple of teams.

My advice bet big on a variety of events to start and try to keep your bets to things more geographically distant. Once you spot the first divergence from your records, bet way more conservatively.

Its all in my Book

How to Bet Effectively After Time Travel

Stocks would likely be much better/safer. the timing of certain events or a big invention could get varied but some of the fundamentals are too strong
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh and going back to the 70s I would want a knapsack containing

a sports almanac
                                a stock history
                                as many condoms as I could conceivably use before their expiry
                                Perhaps a detailed map of some of the biggest petroleum and mineral strikes made in the 80s and 90s

I figure the betting and stocks could make me rich and then I could go into natural resources and have an UNCANNY string of successes. I am just wondering how much all this activity would change history . . .

and the dilemmas-- do you warn people about

9-11
                                that Iraq is a political quagmire
                                tsunami
                                Katrina
                                Darfur/other genocides

etc etc

Leaving aside the fact that people won't believe you at first . . . Do you change history that much?

Comment

Working...
                                X