Violence in the N F L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
    ok then if these guys dont expet to get hurt then they need to not make a living worth millions a year playing a violent contact sport. If they want to be safe then they should just play golf. Because football isnt safe,it never has been, the league decides what the proper punishment is and i think its becoming softer and softer
    Are you actually reading my posts or just pretending you do and making **** up (like "guys don't [expect] to get hurt")? I get that you don't understand the law, but try to comprehend that 'reckless disregard for the safety of others' is far greater standard than simply "getting hurt".
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No Imran im reading ur posts. I dont see where the courts need to be brought into a viloent contact sport where thee fellows sign a contract knowing what to expect. If im mising something other then the fact that what this guy did was what folks say as delebriete and needs to go to jail for it? cause im sorry when u sign a contract knowing u can be hurt then i do believe u leave the courts on the curb
      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I think courts have dealt with enough cases to know what is reckless disregard or willful behavior in going beyond the scope of the game.
        Let me ask you Imran, what do you think these players are getting paid millions of dollars for? To play tiddlywinks? Football and hockey are rough games, and are meant to be such. The players know they might get seriously injured at any point in time.

Do you consider the NHL's lawyers so horrid that they can't make this case?!
        Why should they even have to defend themselves? What have they done wrong in permitting fights?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So basically you want a "[violent] contact sport" to be above the law, because that is just what you said. They sign a contract knowing what to expect... NO ONE EXPECTS THAT! If you sign a contract to be a football player, do you expect if another player beats you half to death with his helmet, leaving you in a coma? We are not talking about a hit here. We are talking about using a 1 inch cleat (since the game was on grass) to scrape across another player's face while he's lying on the ground after a play.

And btw, the courts 'need to be brought into' it because its the law. And courts are the things that kind of deal with the law.

Then again, your opinion on this doesn't matter because there are decades of case law dealing with it. And the Tennessee police have said if the Cowboys player wants to press charges they will do so. And they may also be able to press charges in a civil suit if they wish.

The law is settled on this issue. Period.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I think this means Haynesworth is attributing his actions to a severe case of the dumbass.

Haynesworth reaching out to Gurode

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer
            11 minutes ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Albert Haynesworth wanted to say he's sorry. All he got was a lot of unanswered ringing and a voice mailbox that was full.

Determined to apologize to the man whose face he tore open with his cleat, the
            Tennessee Titans defensive tackle spent Tuesday trying to reach Dallas center Andre Gurode's cell phone, and his agent said he won't give up until he does.

"Albert will continue until he gets through to him," said his agent, Chad Speck.

Haynesworth was suspended five games without pay Monday by the NFL for kicking Gurode's helmet off, then swiping his cleated foot on the center's face while he lay on the ground. Haynesworth was ejected and apologized immediately after the 45-14 loss to Dallas on Sunday.

Speck said he's given his client's cell phone number to Gurode's agent and the Cowboys, hoping Gurode either would call Haynesworth — or at least pick up his calls to hear his apology personally. Gurode's agent, Kennard McGuire, did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Gurode, who needed 30 stitches to repair the cuts, plans to talk with his family about whether or not to press charges, his agent told Nashville police Monday.

The Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday that Gurode still had blurry vision Monday. Gurode said after the game Sunday that he would have gone back on the field if his vision had been clear.

But fans and even people who pay no attention to sports condemned Haynesworth's actions; many said five games wasn't enough. Haynesworth was replaced by a rookie teammate on his weekly radio show Tuesday night, which airs live from a shopping mall south of Nashville.

Speck had no comment when asked if Haynesworth might appeal the unprecedented suspension, and Haynesworth said after the game he deserved to be suspended, whatever the punishment was.

"For what I did, whatever they give me, I deserve it. I did it, and it's wrong," Haynesworth said Sunday.

The NFL Players Association is studying the suspension, which is more than twice as long as the previous punishment for on-field behavior.

"We're just in the fact-finding stage right now," NFLPA spokesman Carl Francis said.

The Titans spent Tuesday trying to find a replacement for Haynesworth on the defensive line. His suspension leaves Tennessee with veteran Robaire Smith, Randy Starks in his third season and rookie Jesse Mahelona, who sprained a knee against Dallas.

"I let my team down," Haynesworth said Sunday. "I'm not saying that I'm the heart of this team, but I definitely let the team down."

The Titans asked the league to clarify the restrictions that would be on Haynesworth during the suspension, which will keep him off the field until Nov. 19, when the Titans visit Philadelphia. Players suspended for substance abuse violations cannot work out with their teams nor attend , but it was not clear if those rules applied to Haynesworth.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said because there is no precedent for a suspension of this length for on-field activities, the NFL was researching what might apply and will get back to the team.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              Let me ask you Imran, what do you think these players are getting paid millions of dollars for? To play tiddlywinks? Football and hockey are rough games, and are meant to be such. The players know they might get seriously injured at any point in time.
              Let's imagine after a goal, if a hockey player uses his skate to cut an opposing player deliberately. You think that should just be handled "in house"?! What if said player dies? What then?

I'm sorry, but simply saying they are rough games and letting anything go is absolutely ridiculous. They consent to playing a rough game, not to get gashed while lying on the turf or to get their neck slashed at like its a pinata from a two handed overhand slash by a hockey stick (McSorely).

Why should they even have to defend themselves? What have they done wrong in permitting fights?
              Nothing, which is why if someone sues them for it, they can easily make the case of why it is part of the game and hockey fights do not involve reckless disregard and get a summary judgement.

Comment

Good folks

To clarify to one and all:

I appreciate the conduct represented here in regards to defending one anothers point of view

Please continue and if we need to we will start Thailand fighting fules, where we wrap our bare knuckles with clothe, dip them in tar and then allow them to be coated with broken chardes of glass

But looks like we can continue with the current course as all are behaving admirably
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

No imran, i just think that in the midst of a footbal game which is indeed a contact event that the rules upheld as suspensions and such should be upheld within the league and not any other way.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

So and in all honesty, i go into a sand volley ball league for fun and the person on the other side of the net comes down on my ankle which they did and i can sue
                    hell yeah were do i sign up? cause i wasnt smart enough to know when i signed up with my league that i could be hurt on purpose and that the team and the park cover their own behinds

Comment

Bring back the biff!

Comment

Re: Good folks

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                        To clarify to one and all:

I appreciate the conduct represented here in regards to defending one anothers point of view

Please continue and if we need to we will start Thailand fighting fules, where we wrap our bare knuckles with clothe, dip them in tar and then allow them to be coated with broken chardes of glass

But looks like we can continue with the current course as all are behaving admirably

Oh, blow it out your ear.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                          So and in all honesty, i go into a sand volley ball league for fun and the person on the other side of the net comes down on my ankle which they did and i can sue
                          hell yeah were do i sign up? cause i wasnt smart enough to know when i signed up with my league that i could be hurt on purpose and that the team and the park cover their own behinds

You have an amazing ability to either not read others' posts or to simply not register them. Please make a case for how the person on the other side of the net has acted with reckless disregard or willfully and deliberately hurt you by landing on your ankle.

Yeah, try again. Better yet, don't. You obviously aren't paying attention here.

No imran, i just think that in the midst of a footbal game which is indeed a contact event that the rules upheld as suspensions and such should be upheld within the league and not any other way.

The player committing this act takes out the other player's eye, rendering him blind. Ending his professional career. A suspension and fine enough? No civil or criminal charges? What if he keeps stomping on this guy and gets him into a coma? Keep it within the league?

Is the league above the law?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            And it was worse than the hit on McMahon, IMO.
                            I think you need to see Martin's assult on McMahon again. This situation, while deplorable, was done right around the time the whistle was blown and in the srcum. It was done in the heat of the moment. Hell, I dout that he really even realized he did it.

When McMahon was attacked, it was a good 5 seconds AFTER the whistle and with no one else within 30 yards of the two. It was NOT done in the heat of the moment. It was an oppertunistic assault.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                              I think you need to see Martin's assult on McMahon again. This situation, while deplorable, was done right around the time the whistle was blown and in the srcum. It was done in the heat of the moment. Hell, I dout that he really even realized he did it.

When McMahon was attacked, it was a good 5 seconds AFTER the whistle and with no one else within 30 yards of the two. It was NOT done in the heat of the moment. It was an oppertunistic assault.
                              I know about the hit on McMahon. But I think this one was worse. I mean he BARELY missed the Cowboy player's eye. This one was much more violent, IMO, especially since Haynesworth actually kicked off the player's helmet before he stomped on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                And it was worse than the hit on McMahon, IMO.
                                McMahon wasn't hit. He was picked up after the play was dead and the ball being spotted and body slammed to the ground on his weak shoulder, taking him out for the rest of the season. He never fully recovered from that.
                                Last edited by chequita guevara; October 3, 2006, 20:08.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X