No announcement yet.

Violence in the N F L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Reds that generally there should be a strong bias to letting the league handle things (ie in-house). There are some actions which of course are beyond the pale and for which no possible league action could be stringent enough to deal with, and these are things that are generally actionable by the district attorney and should be prosecuted. The league should always keep in mind that they'd prefer to handle most incidents themselves though, and in that spirit should police their sport diligently.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

While i see that everyone agrees that what this player did was insane and wrong. But to simply address this as an assault and battery is something im not grasping. Take for instance the philly kicker that threw himself at a coach two weeks ago, and two players attacked him for a fight, does he have a right to file crimminal charges for the fight that ensued? I dont understand, all this stuff fights and **** happen in a game and when one gets punched in the face they want to call the DA knowing that it is heat of the game and emotions going on when they themselves know that they have been one to throw a punch beforehand. I mean this is not liek a barroom brawl we are talking about a football game where emotions flare and tempers get out of control. What do u think will happen if on the field antics lead to the arrests of the players? My guess is we will be watching just the cheerleaders dancing on the sidelines
      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

BURN HIM!
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

we are talking about a football game where emotions flare and tempers get out of control

Uh... this isn't just your garden variety fight which can be explained by, oh, emotions and tempers. After the play he kicked the guy's helmet off, then stomped on his HEAD with his cleat, barely missing his eyes. That's a bit more premeditated than heat of the moment, especially since he kicked the helmet off.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            premeditated
            Clearly, he planned to kick the guy's helmet off and stomp on his head... clearly.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Football players a bred to be competitive, conditioned to be competitive, and are raging with testoterone when they play... the good ones more than others. And, the good ones play in the NFL. It is to be expected that at that level of competition such "acts of violence" will, while be it rare, happen. All those who play know this.

IMO, the punishment for such acts should be very, very harsh. Yearly suspension, huge fines, etc. However criminal charges should be addressed on an individual basis. If I were to get in a cage with a lion should I blame the lion if it attacks me? Or sue whatever zoo let me in there? No...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I think we are basing it on an individual basis. Saying this individual act is so beyond the pale, that charges should be something considered. You don't forsee that happening to you on a football field.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

My question is what do u forsee to happen on the football field? Im not trying to say what this guy did was right but im sure that when these guys step on that field they know the game isnt gonna be a tiptoe thru the tulips. I mean come on fights enue all the time, this guy stomped on the guys head and was cleary bounds for suspension and heavly fined which he was. But to actually think of making this game a bounds for legal action outside the league is just asking for probems that wont be fixed if allowed. Cause you and i both know that the next guy that breaks a nail will start cryng im suing and want this monster in jail. These players know the risks going in and they make more money in one year then u will in a lifetime. To bring the legal system in this is like why dont u let me hold ur hand and see if u can tackle that guy, if he hurts you then we will sue.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

Do you really forsee a guy ripping off your helmet after a play is whistled dead and then stomping on your head with his cleats? Do you? Really? Can you ever? There is a reason there was such outrage over those actions. Because they were so foriegn to the game.

This is totally beyond the pale and something that the legal system should handle in addition to the NFL. Just because you are playing sports doesn't mean you are not subject to the law.

After McSorly was prosecuted, I didn't see hockey players who broke a nail crying they want the guy jailed, did you?

Comment

Sava, I'm just stopping by long enough to tell you to go pet your stuffed bear.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sava, come on dude.

We all know you just watch for the cheerleaders.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Imran I dont watch hockey i dont know what the deal is there. Im just saying i think these players dont forseeanything when going into a game. they should however expect some things as being a contact sport they are playing. Now if u ask me should the 500,000 thousnad dollar fine this guy got should go to the hurt player id say hell ya. But to get the courts involved is different.

Comment

You don't expect that in a contact sport though. Sports exist within the law, not outside of it. If something is so egregiously out of the sport's sphere, then the law should step in or augment whatever the sport has done for punishment.

I mean what if during a baseball brawl, a player pulls out a bat and starts beating another player with it visciously and puts him into a coma and ends his career. Is a lifetime ban enough?! No, the courts need to intervene. Obviously that is well beyond what went on here, but the principle is the same. Sometimes the courts need to be involved when things go well beyond the scope of the game.

Comment

I would vote No, but for the "heavy hand" part. Punishment, yes, but let it fit the incident. I am fine with the 5-game suspension to Haynesworth, which is going to take about $190K out of his paycheck. I think the NFL goes overboard on some of the helmet-to-helmet hit fines: they punish some players for their rep. If the ball carrier ducks his head, he might be putting himself into a situation that the tackler can't avoid.

As far a legal actions, if Gurode wants to press charges, I'm OK with that. He was down on the ground, helmetless, and got raked above and below the eye. If there's no eye damage, then I don't think that warrants any civil suit - stick to criminal court.
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I've just seen it on YouTube, that sort of thing happens every game in international rugby.

Comment

Working...
                                X