This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    I propose we do the Poly Top 10 again this year, but we wait until after Week 6, when most teams will have played half their schedule.

Didn't we start after Week 4 last year? I think that is a good time to start it this time. A month of games has gone by and there are still 8 weeks of fun poll movement.

Most of the fun is seeing where the polls go week to week, rather have 8 weeks of it than 6 .

Next week some things will shake out when OSU and Texas meet again. I think the road teams wins again in a close one. Colt McCoy looked good against North Texas, but I don't think he's got the experience to take down OSU. He's no Vince Young.

Fair enough.

I'm not so sure about OSU-Texas. OSU's defence looked shaky against the one-man show of NIU; if nothing else, this game should provide the offensive fireworks the Canes-Noles game sorely lacked.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
      Another boring, underwhelming performance by Miami and Florida State, apart from the FSU defence.
      Meh. I thought both defenses were impressive.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

OSU D gave up 171 yds rushing to N. Illinois TB.

However, Texas (starting) CB Brown faces drug, weapon charges.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

NIU's tailback is a helluva player. The MAC produces outstanding skill players on a regular basis. The bigger problem was that the OSU D couldn't come up with a scheme to limit the screen passes and running yards given their huge advantage on the line.

Comment

NIU's tailback is a helluva player. The MAC produces outstanding skill players on a regular basis. The bigger problem was that the OSU D couldn't come up with a scheme to limit the screen passes and running yards given their huge advantage on the line.
            They lost a lot of starters on D, so I wouldn't say it was a "huge advantage."
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

Even with all-new starters, the OSU DL should dominate any MAC OL.

Comment

Even with all-new starters, the OSU DL should dominate any MAC OL.
                As it turned out, it was only on paper. "That's why they play the game."

BTW, I read that the clock rule changes resulted in 10-15% fewer plays. Bad if it's a close game, or if a blowout, bad for getting your 2nd or 3rd stringers some PT.

Comment

So any final predictions for OSU-Texas, or the stealth big game of the week, ND-PSU?

I think one of two things is going to happen in OSU-Texas. Either OSU wins a close one, or the Buckeye D gets absolutely shredded and the Horns win a blowout. I'm leaning towards the former, but hoping for the latter. (I don't care if I'm an OSU employee; people around here are positively insufferable about the Buckeyes and need some perspective.)

I think people are writing off the Lions too easily against the Irish; I think ND wins in another ultimately underwhelming performance.

Comment

I don't have much insight into the OSU - Texas game, but my guess is pretty close to conventional wisdom. OSU will win a squeaker, the advantage being gained by having the more experienced quarterback. Watch for interceptions of Smith, which could indicate that OSU is going down to defeat.

As for ND - PSU, it seems to depend on whether ND can solve the OSU defense. Everybody watched OSU's effective defense against ND during the Fiesta Bowl and will emulate it until ND comes up with a solution.

One good thing about ND is that it doesn't make many mistakes and turn the ball over. That's why it can grind it out and win the close games. There wasn't a single turnover for either side in the GT game, which is pretty amazing.

Edit: It should be pointed out that ND had some down weeks last year with regard to offense and bounced back fine. E.g., the Michigan game.
                    Last edited by DanS; September 8, 2006, 11:19.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm thinking OSU wins the match against Texas. Ginn will have a great day, making up for last year's game. Troy Smith is better passer this year it looks like and he doesn't have to share time with the other dude like he did last year (OSU may have won last year if Smith played the entire game).

As for Penn State and ND, I think Penn State pulls off the upset. Morelli is a very good QB and most people don't know about him yet. He'll do well against the ND defense and now Penn State knows how to rattle Quinn's cage. It'll be close, but I think Penn State wins by 7.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

On Wisconsin! Wisconsin's head coach has NEVER lost a game as head coach! How many Div I head coaches can say that and not lie!!!! (OK, the Northwestern guy..... ).

I gotta cheer for Wisconsin while I can...
                        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I'm going to buck the prevailing trend and pick Texas over Ohio State. They have home-field advantage, a great defense and an offense that is talented enough to run all over OSU's revamped D as long as McCoy doesn't make any major mistakes. I think that will be enough.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Christ, I hope you're right, Drake.

Comment

Hook 'em 'Horns!

Ohowihate
                              Ohio State

Edit
                              Texas CB Brown has drug charge dropped
                              Texas cornerback Tarell Brown had the drug charge against him dropped Friday, but the gun charge remained and a team spokesman said Brown would not play Saturday against No. 1 Ohio State.

Brown has tested negative on a drug screening for cocaine and marijuana administered by the university, his attorney Jamie Balagia told ESPN's Joe Schad on Wednesday.

Brown was arrested with backup junior linebacker Tyrell Gatewood and former Texas linebacker Aaron Harris. Gatewood and Harris were charged with the same drug misdemeanor.

Balagia told ESPN late Wednesday that Gatewood also tested negative for marijuana and cocaine in a university-administered test. Gatewood has been suspended for Saturday's game as well.

"He came back clean as a whistle," Balagia said of Brown's test results. "I'm afraid it may be too late to help him play on Saturday, though. I wish Coach [Mack] Brown had waited before he made his decision, but I understand coach was upset that Tarell was out at 3 in the morning. I'll advise Tarell to go make one more personal plea to Coach Brown to play this week."

The university will not comment on any drug test results, school spokesman John Bianco said.

"I'm just trying to get through Saturday," Mack Brown said Tuesday when he announced the suspensions of Tarell Brown and Gatewood. "As a head coach, No. 1 you have to look at the legal system and cooperate with the authorities completely. No. 2, you must go through the university because that's who we work for. No. 3, you are concerned about distractions for your football team. We want to move forward because it's No. 1 playing No. 2 and it's such an exciting game for all of us.

"No. 4, you care about the three young men involved and their families. We will try to help the families individually and move forward with our team for the ballgame on Saturday."

Mack Brown did not say if the suspensions would extend beyond Saturday's game.

The loss of Brown, a senior and Texas' top cover corner, represents a huge blow to a defensive unit considered the Longhorns' strength this season. He was likely to draw the assignment of covering Buckeye wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., one of Ohio State's top playmakers.

The Longhorns could start junior Brandon Foster or sophomore Ryan Palmer. Foster has played in 22 games and Palmer in 10 last season. Neither has been a starter.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
                              Texas cornerback Tarell Brown had the drug charge against him dropped Friday, but the gun charge remained and a team spokesman said Brown would not play Saturday against No. 1 Ohio State.
                              Last edited by Lord Avalon; September 8, 2006, 20:19.

Comment

OGs playing college football.

Comment

Working...
                                X