Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of things could be said about that game, boring is not one of them. I partly agree that the referee wasn't good. However, neither of the red cards where wrong. But the second yellow card was. And then both sides could have had a penalty each. The US for the hands, and azzuri for the shirt pulling incident towards the end. Good performance by the US. Sure it was just a matter of time before Italy started underperforming in the tournament, but that souldn't dimish the americans will to win. Nice to see that all teams can reach the knockout stages prior to the last round of group matches.

Comment

• This is great because now both the Czechs and Italians have to play to win in their finishing game, and Ghana can even be group winners if the result of Czechs - Italy is a draw. Interestingly enough, if USA beat Ghana and Italy beat the Czechs then the USA are through!
      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

• Yep, Ghana winning earlier throws the whole group into chaos.

I thought the Italians played it well, they kind laid low until the last 5 minutes of regular time, then tried to blitz the US defense.

The US got some good goalplay and good bounces at the end to hold on to the tie.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Originally posted by Footie Mad
          This is great because now both the Czechs and Italians have to play to win in their finishing game, and Ghana can even be group winners if the result of Czechs - Italy is a draw. Interestingly enough, if USA beat Ghana and Italy beat the Czechs then the USA are through!
          Doesn't Italy advance with a tie?
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by Footie Mad
            This is great because now both the Czechs and Italians have to play to win in their finishing game, and Ghana can even be group winners if the result of Czechs - Italy is a draw. Interestingly enough, if USA beat Ghana and Italy beat the Czechs then the USA are through!
            Yep.. and that's the hope . Gonna be hard rooting for the Italians, but I'm up for it . Hopefully we can pull our end of the bargain and beat the Ghanians.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• CR v Italy & Ghana v USA games are at the same time on Thursday, so no one will know a result in advance.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

• Ghana v Brazil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon

Doesn't Italy advance with a tie?
                  Yep, and the USA would have to win by at least 5 goals, I think, to advance.

ACK!

Comment

• Congratulations for the USA! A fully deserved draw, and had your 2nd goal counted, even a victory would have been justified. That said, I disagree with the anti-referee chorus in this thread. The referee did quite well. The red against Mastroeni may have been borderline (it was a yellow at the very least), but it could be given without doubt. The yellow-red against Pope was justified as well - both glide-tacklings, which is very prone to injuries if you hit the player and not the ball, which was both times the case. And the card against De Rossi was of course dark red.

Overall a strange game to say the least, but well worth the time watching. I wish you (USA) the very best for the 3rd game. Nothing is lost yet. A really amazing group!

Comment

• I'll be rooting for the Czechs, I hope they beat the Italians by at least 2 goals difference, that gives both Ghana and the US a chance to go through as well. As far as that match goes, may the best team win (and go through, the sooner the Italians are gone the better)...
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski

I thought the Italians played it well, they kind laid low until the last 5 minutes of regular time, then tried to blitz the US defense.

The US got some good goalplay and good bounces at the end to hold on to the tie.

ACK!
                        Imran, can you translate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski

Yep, and the USA would have to win by at least 5 goals, I think, to advance.

ACK!
                          If we beat Ghana (& CR loses), then we tie with Ghana and advance on head-to-head result, no?

Comment

If we beat Ghana (& CR loses), then we tie with Ghana and advance on head-to-head result, no?
                            Yes we advance, but that would be because we have 1 more point than Ghana.

ACK!

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever

Imran, can you translate?
                              What's so hard to understand?

The Italians played soft a lot of the second half, and then put a lot of pressure on the US defense at the end.

ACK!

Comment

It's points, then goal difference, then goals scored, then the result of the game between the two, then a coin toss (believe it or not).

But Ghana would then only have 3 points, so you couldn't tie with them. But you can still top the group with 4 points, provided you can put enough away against Ghana to have a much better goal difference than Italy (+1) or the Czechs (0), and they draw.

Comment

Working...
                                X