is powerded milk evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is powerded milk evil?

I don't drink a lot of milk but I like it on breakfast cereal. Not infrequently however even when I just buy half a gallon of the stuff it begins to smell sour and taste funny before I've used it all even before the "sell by" date has passed. The thermometer I put in my fridge seems to indicate it's not a refridgeration issue so I'm looking for alternatives.

Mostly I've just opted to not buy milk and not have breakfast cereals for breakfast but I miss the stuff largely because it's so easy to prepare and fast to consume at a time of day when my ambition and time to spare is at it's absolute minimum.

So what about powdered milk? I've never tried the stuff but does it taste worse than milk that has begun to smell 'sour'? Does it work ok in breakfast cereal if you quickly prepare it from chilled water in the bowl then add some cereal or does it tend to be almost impossible to make it taste much like regular milk has been added to the cereal?

Surely the stuff takes a lot longer to spoil than 'fresh' milk if you only reconstitute it immediately before use.

Has anybody used powered milk much?
    Last edited by Geronimo; June 13, 2006, 02:29.

I don't know about evil, but it's gross.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

all milk is evil.

Real men can't digest lactose.

Comment

It IS evil. It contains a fraction of the nutrients contained in whole milk, it gives mothers the fake feeling they are provinding their kids with a "natural" food while actually giving up breastfeeding (which is a key part of the development of the child's personality), plus it costs much more than it should cost
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

ok I guess I'll stick with occasionally prematurely soured 'fresh' milk then. oh well if it was a good substitute I guess it would be popular.

Comment

powdered milk is different from baby formula I believe...

Comment

I prefer powdered toast.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                all milk is evil.

Real men can't digest lactose.
                The gene responsible for lactase doesn't in fact demonstrate linkage with any of the various genes conferring the Real men traits.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                  I prefer powdered toast.
                  how is it reconstituted? do you need to toast it after it's reconstituted?

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

The gene responsible for lactase doesn't in fact demonstrate linkage with any of the various genes conferring the Real men traits.
                    says you.

Comment

Asians can't digest lactose!
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

how is it reconstituted? do you need to toast it after it's reconstituted?
                        It's joke from the early episodes of "Ren & Stimpy." They'd just shake it out of the box and it would magically reconstitute as toast. And, of course, there was Powdered Toast Man!
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

What kind of choice is that? Over here we have sterilized which has a much longer shelf life, so you don't need to worry about spoiling so much. It tastes a bit differently, though. People used to pasteurized milk often don't like sterilized milk and vice versa.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

That's right. He'd scrap it off his body and it would form into toast.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

says you.
                              try

Genetics of Lactase Persistance and Lactose Intolerance

Vol. 37: 197-219 (Volume publication date December 2003)
                              (doi:10.1146/annurev.genet.37.110801.143820)

First published online as a Review in Advance on July 11, 2003

it's not free to view online but your local biomedical library should allow free access to a copy.

an inferior online alternative might be:

Lactase Hapolotype Diversity in the Old World

However that paper doesn't discuss the function of it's closely linked genes in any great detail.
                              Last edited by Geronimo; June 12, 2006, 17:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X