Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking: Ben Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident... no helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    I'm just going to call you an assmunch on general principles...

Cool! I was afraid I was losing my touch...
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I don't have a problem with people taking risks with their own lives. I want to go skydiving one day. I could be the most conscientious person in the world, yet still die from that. As long as people understand the risks I'm fine with it, especially as motorcyclists in general are less of a danger to those around them than car drivers are.

Motorcycle riding is still dumb. Just like skydiving. Just like drinking heavily. Just like everything else that's fun.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Exactly. Ever tried safe sex? Never again!
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Yeah, it's only barebacking random street people from here on out for me
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Random? Choose the ugliest first.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              From a personak standpoint I was run over by a motorist who didn't stop or slow down. People came up the road and helped me.
              I spent a year in therapy and on crutches and cane.
              Thank God I had a helmet on. Was it me? No. Was it my bike? No. It was a dumb mother****er not paying attention.
              There are dumb drivers in cars and there are dumb drivers on bikes. The difference is a bike offers no real protection against that -- which is why it's stupid.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                The point to keep in mind about the stats is that a good percentage of those fatalaties are from young guys in their teens / early 20's doing stupid crap (or "risk taking" athletes with no helmet).
                Same with cars. That's why my insurance rate was insanely high.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Because Asher and KH decided to. Simple. Read up.
                  I didn't blame anyone. I'm simply observing it is stupid to ride a motorcycle.

I really don't care who is at fault. There are plenty of bad drives of cars on the road, and that's a fact of life. Which is precisely why I think it's stupid to drive a motorcycle, you're putting your life into their hands. Their stupid mistake has a high chance of killing you.

Comment

I accept the higher risk...and the fun! Life is full of such choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Sloww,

It really wouldn't surprise me if the driver of the car was at fault here. That doesn't change what I'm saying.

Example:

A person decides to walk home through a crime-ridden slum at 3am. They get mugged.

Is it their fault they got mugged? No.
                      Did they deserve to get mugged? Certainly not.
                      Was their decision to walk home through a slum at 3am smart? No.

edit: should making the slum less slummy and crime-ridden be a priority? Yes.

And that's all I'm saying. Of COURSE it's all about people being stupid... that's true for lots of stuff.

-Arrian

Yep. I had a buddy and a friend of his who were riding their bikes and were minding their own business sitting at a stop light. Guy fell asleep at the wheel of a pickup truck and clipped them from behind.

My friend wasn't wearing his helmet and is lucky to be alive. He did have brain damage in that he has lost his sense of taste and has some memory loss. Other than that though he is for all intents and purposes normal. All in all extremely lucky. He would have been spared all this if simply he had his helmet on.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Doh.

Similiarly, lots of folks get hurt/killed each year because they do not wear their seatbelt.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

There, too, I'm on the side of safety. I'm religious about my and my family's using the seatbelts. I won't leave the driveway otherwise. Yet I ride a motorcycle. It's all a matter of how we choose to try to thread our way through the needle of life. Frankly, if I didn't have at least one risk outlet in my life, I'd fall into depression and probably end up dead one day from being so safe and predictable.

Comment

I too always wear my seatbelt. I signal. I try to avoid tailgating (in CT, however, this is simply an invitation for someone else to change lanes).

Yet I speed.

Hell, for ~10 years, I smoked. That's ****ing stupid, I think we can all agree.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I speed like a ****ing sonofa*****.

Life begins at 80
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hey, I'm in CT, too. When somebody tailgates me (when I'm in the car, that is). I slow down. Love it! One time a guy pulled over for a fight. When I got out and called him a Stupid ***** somehow it wasn't worth his getting out of the car. It was really funny, too.

Jerk Off (sitting in his car): We gonna settle this here and now *******?!

Yin (out of his car at the guy's window): Depends, you gonna get out of the car, *****?

One of those Kodak guy moments. When I get tailgated when I'm on the motorcycle (which seems rare because I think people actually understand when it's a motorcycle that tailgating is stupid), I usually change lanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X