Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking: Ben Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident... no helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking: Ben Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident... no helmet?

Just heard on sports radio...

no internet link or anything yet...

Apparantly it happened in a tunnel... they say he wasn't wearing a helmet. I don't know how bad it was.

He was just on an interview on Chicago radio earlier today I think...

Motorcycles + athletes - helmet = bad news

I hope he's not seriously hurt.

I'll post something when I find it...
    To us, it is the BEAST.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06163/697655-100.stm

Monday, June 12, 2006
    By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured when his motorcycle was involved in a crash on the 10th Street Bridge today.

Roethlisberger was injured shortly after 11:30 a.m. at the Second Avenue side of the bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel.

Steelers' spokesman David Lockett confirmed Roethlisberger was involved and is being treated at Mercy Hospital.

An eyewitness said she saw a motorcycle headed outbound on Second Avenue as a car was coming inbound. The car made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist. The motorcycle hit the car and the operator flew into the windshield and then hit the ground.

The witness said she went to the aid of the motorcyclist and asked his name. He said it was "Ben" and tried to get up, but she told him to stay still.

The victim was bleeding heavily from a head injury.

Roethlisberger has been known to refuse to wear a helmet when operating his cycle.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Apparantly, Ben's motorcycle and lack of helmet usage has been an issue in the past. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05127/500755.stm

I think the site is being flooded right now... the page isn't loading.

But they read a quote on the radio.

Ben said something to they effect of, "They make you wear a helmet in football..."

"The state of Pennsylvania doesn't feel people need to wear helmets..."

Pennsylvania doesn't have a helmet law for motorcycles...

Didn't Kelly Winslow get injured from a motorcycle?

In Chicago, former Bull, Jay Williams had his career ended from a motorcycle accident.

idiots

good news, despite the grim reports, they just reported that his injuries are not life threatening...
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Can always tell a rider that's never been down. No helmet.
        Live (hopefully) and learn.

Roethlisberger serious but stable after motorcycle crash

01:06 PM CDT on Monday, June 12, 2006
        Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet, was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash and taken to a hospital Monday.

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital, said Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition in an operating room Monday afternoon. He was talking before he went into surgery, Jones said.

A pool of blood was found at the accident site.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.

Roethlisberger, 24, has said that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck. Police were detouring traffic around the crash scene as onlookers and media gathered.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl championship last season.

Calls to Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, were not immediately returned.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

No helmet=idiot

In non-stupid countries, the use of helmets is compulsory
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

We like to allow people to be idiots in this country.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The use of a helmet is compulsory in the States as well... Yet if somebody's shooting for the Darwin, the law can't save them...
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Not in PA, apparently. And if I had to guess, I'd guess that it's optional in New Hampshire (of "Live free or die!" fame... err, live free and die?) too.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well, the fact is that you could probably get away with not wearing a helmet in most states in the union. Although I am surprised about PA, if so.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You had to predict (at a karmic level, at least) that something like this would happen after that interview where he cried out against using helmets became public.

I wish the big guy nothing but a speedy recovery, but seriously, I hope he learned a lesson from this, and I hope the Steelers make him pay for said lesson.
                      CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                      Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                      Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                      Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

I think the majority of states now have helmets as optional. Another method for culling the herd of morons.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've known three people to have head injuries while not wearing a helmet on a bike in an accident. One had severe neurological damage and was basically retarded (I only knew him after the accident). The other two were never quite the same, even if they otherwise seemed fine. Their personalities were a little off. Whether that was from suriving a near death experience or neurological damage, I can't say.

Then of course there's Gary Busey, who became an über freak after his no-helmet crash, though he was always kinda weird.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I hear the driver of the car was a Bengals defensive lineman!!!!!!
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              Apparantly, Ben's motorcycle and lack of helmet usage has been an issue in the past. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05127/500755.stm

I think the site is being flooded right now... the page isn't loading.

But they read a quote on the radio.

Ben said something to they effect of, "They make you wear a helmet in football..."

"The state of Pennsylvania doesn't feel people need to wear helmets..."

Pennsylvania doesn't have a helmet law for motorcycles...

Didn't Kelly Winslow get injured from a motorcycle?

In Chicago, former Bull, Jay Williams had his career ended from a motorcycle accident.

idiots

good news, despite the grim reports, they just reported that his injuries are not life threatening...
                              who cares about life threatening, are they career threatening?

Comment

Working...
                              X