Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking: Ben Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident... no helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloww,

It really wouldn't surprise me if the driver of the car was at fault here. That doesn't change what I'm saying.

Example:

A person decides to walk home through a crime-ridden slum at 3am. They get mugged.

Is it their fault they got mugged? No.
    Did they deserve to get mugged? Certainly not.
    Was their decision to walk home through a slum at 3am smart? No.

edit: should making the slum less slummy and crime-ridden be a priority? Yes.

And that's all I'm saying. Of COURSE it's all about people being stupid... that's true for lots of stuff.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      Who said it was the motorcyclists' fault?

It's a simple statement about risks. If you ride a motorcycle you are taking your life in your hands. Motorcycles are less visible, motorcyclists take certain risks which people in cars can't take (splitting lanes, etc), and when a motorcyclist is struck by another vehicle or skids out then the motorcyclist is far more likely to die than if he'd been in a car. Those three factors combine to make motorcycle riding a fairly dangerous hobby.
      Then correct the problem, son't just say it's more likeluy. You sit in your house, where most accidents occur, what then? Outlaw houses?

Put the blame where it belongs. Is that so difficult?

Another thing KH, don't ever call me a silly little man to my face. We clear on that?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

People are the problem
        I agree with this. Which is why we should have cars drive themselves. It would make motorcycles much less dangerous, even if they were driven by human beings.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why has this become about blame? Oy.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Because Asher and KH decided to. Simple. Read up.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sigh... I see some real PERSONAL crap being thrown around in this thread... Enough!

Discuss the topic and take your cat fights to some other site...
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                as a car driver
                Well, I'm more than a car driver. I can speak from both sides of the issue. A good motorcycle rider is ALWAYS aware of the cars' blind spots, for example. Again, if there IS a crash, there's no question you'd rather be in a car. I just think it's too easy to assume that the motorcycle by default is going to be in more crashes. In this case, I think the skill level and attitude of the rider plays a huge part in the equation that statistics and non-rider views might make plain.

EDIT: And back to that safety trainer I quoted -- the guy has 100,000 miles logged in on his bike with no crashes. This can't be luck. It must have to do with his focus on safety. Again, more often than not, a fatal motorcycle crash has more to do with the rider than the machine. That said, things like getting hit from behind at a light suddenly become life-threatening on a motorcycle than in a car. You might be surprised to know, therefore, when I'm stopped, I always watch the car coming up from behind me so I can ditch out if needed. Those are things you usually don't think about in a car but MUST if you care to live long and ride.
                Last edited by yin26; June 13, 2006, 12:53.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Turns out he doesn't even have a license to roide a motorcycle, according to ESPN.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

... therefore, when I'm stopped, I always watch the car coming up from behind me so I can ditch out if needed.
                    Smart of you. Of course, people in general aren't all that smart. Cars do a better job of protecting people from their own stupidity and the stupidity of others.

That doesn't mean we should ban motorcycles.

-Arrian

Comment

the guy has 100,000 miles logged in on his bike with no crashes

So? My father has 400 000 miles on various automobiles with no crashes.

As I said before, an extremely safe motorcycle rider just might have less accidents than the average car driver (per vehicle mile). But the fatality rate for the motorcyclist is still going to be higher. In comparison to the car driver he's practically naked when an accident does come along.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes, conceded. So I guess we agree?
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Looks like it.

-Arrian

Comment

I'm just going to call you an assmunch on general principles...

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              Smart of you. Of course, people in general aren't all that smart. Cars do a better job of protecting people from their own stupidity and the stupidity of others.

That doesn't mean we should ban motorcycles.

-Arrian
                              That's right. I do think it crazy, though, how easily people can get on a bike without proper training. Then again, if people want to kill themselves, we should leave that time-honored option fully available.

Comment

What. What. Did a discussion just end peaceably on Apolyton? No, this can't be so.

Yin... you're a stupid head for riding a bike!
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X