Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking: Ben Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident... no helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcyclists are 34 times more likely to be killed in an accident than those driving cars, per vehicle mile travelled.

So pull your head out of your ass, sloww. Asher's right.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes, he is. Hey, it's their right to take the risk, but it doesn't change the odds.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Wrong. You leave out people in cars too. You also leave out bicycling and walking. Both of which are struck down by people not paying attention.

Another thing, don't let me hear either one of you speak of loss of personal liberties again.
        I'll refrain from the same name-calling you've both done.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Wrong. You leave out people in cars too.

What the **** are you talking about?
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Motorcyclists were 34 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a crash in 2004, per vehicle mile traveled.

If I drive to work and back every day for a year in a motorcycle, then I am 34 times more likely to die from an accident than I would be if I'd taken a car.

What's so hard to understand about that?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What's with the random personal attack on Asher? He's an arrogant driver who hits people? What?
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

From a personak standpoint I was run over by a motorist who didn't stop or slow down. People came up the road and helped me.
                I spent a year in therapy and on crutches and cane.
                Thank God I had a helmet on. Was it me? No. Was it my bike? No. It was a dumb mother****er not paying attention.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Another thing, don't let me hear either one of you speak of loss of personal liberties again.

Why not, you silly little man? When did I say that motorcycles should be outlawed?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nobody here is claiming that people shouldn't be allowed to ride motorcycles, AFAIK. We're just pointing out that it's very risky behavior.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Who said it was the motorcyclists' fault?

It's a simple statement about risks. If you ride a motorcycle you are taking your life in your hands. Motorcycles are less visible, motorcyclists take certain risks which people in cars can't take (splitting lanes, etc), and when a motorcyclist is struck by another vehicle or skids out then the motorcyclist is far more likely to die than if he'd been in a car. Those three factors combine to make motorcycle riding a fairly dangerous hobby.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The point to keep in mind about the stats is that a good percentage of those fatalaties are from young guys in their teens / early 20's doing stupid crap (or "risk taking" athletes with no helmet). I ride a motorcycle almost exclusively these days and can repeat a great phrase from one of the safety trainers I spoke with once:

"Never be in a hurry."

Is it still more dangerous than driving a car? Of course. But a smart, safe motorcycle rider has a better chance of avoiding problems than does an idiot car driver. And let's just mention, too, that motorcycle riding is a HELL of a lot more fun...but it takes training and commitment to be safe.

That said, even as a motorcylce rider, I wouldn't be against high risk groups paying more in various types of insurance. But before I would ever support this, I'd first want the fat, smoking blobs of human flesh charged way more for all their heart disease risk, etc.
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

But a smart, safe motorcycle rider has a better chance of avoiding problems than does an idiot car driver.

Avoiding problems? Maybe. Avoiding death? Probably not. There's a big difference between getting into an accident surrounded by 2000 pounds of crumple zones, steel safety cages, restraint harnesses and airbags and getting into an accident sitting on top of a souped-up bicycle seat.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Obviously! But I'm betting the idiot car driving will enounter death with higher frequency.
                            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

It's also much easier to miss that motorcycle in your blind spot than it is to miss the Camry in your blind spot.

Let me tell you that as a car driver I get nervous whenever I see a motorcyclist getting near me. I pay far more attention to the motorcycle than I do to other cars, because I don't ever want to lose track of one and change lanes into it.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Nobody here is claiming that people shouldn't be allowed to ride motorcycles, AFAIK. We're just pointing out that it's very risky behavior.

-Arrian
                                Bikes, cars, helicopters, airplanes, skateboards are not the problem. People are the problem, and no, not one's who choose an alternate mode of transportation solely. Stupid people.

I get sick of arrogant people who don't pay attention and blame "the other person".
                                This guy may be at fault, but that doesn't mean his bike was. If it turns out the old bat in the car was at fault, then spin that.

SlowwHand, over and out.

Comment

Working...
                                X