Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Palestinian Authority declares war on Israel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandman

How many Israelis support the extremist policy of 'transfer'? A hefty percentage, isn't it?
    I sometimes wonder if that policy got it's inspiration from 19th century US government policies toward native american peoples.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
      israel is a European colony eh?

You are well aware there is more than one definition of the word "colony." Don't be deliberately obtuse. It doesn't become you.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
        I think the land was taken from Israel in 60 AD, and it took until 1948 for it to be returned. That was 1,888 years ago.

More than enough time for squatters' rights to take effect.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          israel is a European colony eh?

You are well aware there is more than one definition of the word "colony." Don't be deliberately obtuse. It doesn't become you.
          yes there's the useful definition and the useless one.

Comment

Actually, there are multiple useful ones - Taras wasn't a Spartan colony in the same sense as Namibia was a German one.

Please don't misconstrue this a defense of che's use of the term.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Meanwhile, there seems to be very little Authority left.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

what a bunch of morons
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Yeah, it seems like the long awaited Palestinian civil war has begun.

Comment

it's insane. it seems nobody ever manages to take any action that will actually improve the situation in that whole 'country' (israel + west bank/gaza).

This Fatah vs Hamas conflict is precisely what the palestinians do not need in order to tackle their predicament.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    As you point out, the Christian Sudanese, i.e., the Nubians, were there first. That is their homeland. It's not really comparable to Arab natives fighting against a European colony.

Except the "natives" weren't Arabs. The Canaanites and the Hebrews were of common North Semitic ancestry, as are the Syrians who were moved into Samaria (along with Phoenicians) by the Assyrians. Arabs are South Semites, late-comers even compared to the Greco-Romans who moved there. Arabs typically owned land worked by native tenant farmers. Same for the Turks who displaced the Arab owners.

The Arabs didn't even let the natives convert to Islam for almost 200 years because they considered Islam the religion of the conquerors. So, really, the Arabs were and are just as much "colonizers" as the Europeans.

Perhaps we should consider all North Africa as being Greco-Roman cultures oppressed by rapacious Arabs. The Europeans fought them over these colonies for 1000 years and conquered them back. That makes them "non-viable" according to Aggie. That means Europeans were wrong to release them back to the Arab colonizers after WWII.

But back on topic in Palestine. For most (if not all) of the last 1900 years Jews have held a plurality of ethnicity among residents of Jerusalem. Jews began migrating to the northern coast of Palestine in the late 1800s, and in great numbers since WWI.
                    More than enough time for squatters' rights to take effect.

Exactly.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

This Fatah vs Hamas conflict is precisely what the palestinians do not need in order to tackle their predicament.
                      It seems they're first and foremost unable to tackle their predicament of being Palestinians.

Comment

Delivering a nuke (or two) in a way calculated to decapitate the entire israeli government would prevent a nuclear response and could be followed up with nuclear warhead missle attacks with impunity.
                        Unless Israel is attacked by the US, I seriously doubt that a nuclear strike on Israel will go unpunished.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Unless Israel is attacked by the US, I seriously doubt that a nuclear strike on Israel will go unpunished.
                          who would do the punishing?

Comment

who would do the punishing?
                            What about the US. Aren't you allied with Israel?
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

What about the US. Aren't you allied with Israel?
                              The US has never punished a nuclear power. If it can't prevent them from going nuclear in the first place then nothing decided afterward really seems to matter.

Comment

The US has never punished a nuclear power. If it can't prevent them from going nuclear in the first place then nothing decided afterward really seems to matter.
                                As far as I know, no nuclear power has ever triggered MAD. MAD has been a solid enough deterrent that even the most trigger happy countries have avoided nuking anybody, since MAD begun.

Comment

Working...
                                X