Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iraq's My Lai

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Official: Evidence points to unjustified killings by Marines...

This shames me as an American.

Why? Were they doing this under high orders? Is this American policy? No.

The truth will out, and so will justice (as far as we mortals can frame it).
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Because they, as Marines, represent America where they are.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You have no frame of reference.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          You have no frame of reference.

You provide no intelligent thoughts on this issue.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

Quite right. And it works. Actually, this was my greatest fear about Iraq. In a war of this sort, the enemy blends with the civilian population, making it seem to the US troops that everyone is the enemy.

In 'Nam, anyone approaching a US position was considered hostile, even if they were female or young.

This is why I thought the original plan to use the Iraqi Army to police the nation was the right one. Unfortunately, the Defense Department was overruled by Bremer who worked for State. Blair, in the recent newsconference, identified this as the one mistake the US and Britain made.
            You've missed the obvious conclusion.

You can't win at this game: ever.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                Except our cowardly media is frequently too scared to touch it. Until Murtha said anything, you heard nary a peep about this in the "anti-American" MSM.
                "Cowardly media," huh? What the hell ever. I work for a newspaper company, and we've had people maimed and killed over in Iraq, thankyouverymuch. My fellow journalists over there (and in Washington, D.C.) have done a helluva lot of work exposing corruption, shining light on issues faced by our troops, by a crappy VA system that does our veterans no favors and, well, good God, the list goes on and on.

"Cowardly media," my ass. More like you're just selective in your reading, Che.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

You seem to be confusing the cowardice of not putting oneself in harm's way with the cowardice of toeing the Bush Administration line for the past 6 years. We have no idea who you work for since you're not allowed to say anyway. FOX, CBS, CNN, ABC etc. I'm sure between them, they've lost people on the ground in Iraq too, but unless you've been asleep for the past 6 years, they haven't exactly chided the Bush Administration until very recent months with scandals breaking left and right. The dam is burst, and the MSM seems to be waking from its stupor.
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

This is a tragic event and those particular Marines did in fact murder the innocent civilians in cold blood

The Marines are the greatest infantry force around but they should never EVER be used for "peacekeeping" operations.

The same things that make them so good at fighting are the same things that make them the absolute worst peacekeepers
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                      A strange game. The only winning move is not to play
                      Yeah, kinda like nuclear war, except we figured that out before we ever played that one
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

My fellow journalists over there (and in Washington, D.C.) have done a helluva lot of work exposing corruption
                        You're a funny man
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

toeing the Bush Administration line for the past 6 years

So's DRose...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
                            Well if they are guilty, they will spend the rest of their lives in a Brig, guarded by Marines. I would not want to be one of them. The Marines guarding them, will not be their friends. After a few months, they will wish they were dead and not in the brig.
                            Lt. Calley got a mere 2 years for ordering the slaughter of ~ 100+ civilians at My Lai, and he didn't even serve the full sentence. AFAIK he was not mistreated in prison.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

You realize that it was the GOP that cut and run in Vietnam, right?
                              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

You've missed the obvious conclusion.

You can't win at this game: ever.
                                Yes you can. The Brits did it several times.

And, to some extent, we successfully withdrew from South Vietnam. That success was then tossed when a Democrat Congress betrayed the South Vietnamese.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X