Iraq's My Lai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    not accustomed to that? What is that, some racist **** you claim with a serious face or trolling?
    Pekka, you are late for your appointment at the center of the nearest highway - please hurry.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

If this stuff is right, I hope the unit (at least the commanders) goes away from a loooong time .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Absolutely. They can pass by unidentifed people and be killed. They make mistakes almost daily in that regard.
        Yeah, they should shoot anyone who doesn't identify themselves!
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Is it Vietnam yet?
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It's even worse - it's bushys fault.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              Is it Vietnam yet?
              Depends on whether the Dems gain power and cut and run.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Before anyone spouts theories, it might be relevant to their case, and viewpoint, to have a frame of reference.

Easy to sit and swill beer in an air conditioned house somewhere, and shake your head.

Its easy to murder someone when you have an assault rifle, too.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

Depends on whether the Dems gain power and cut and run.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

I cope much better with news of acts of depravity by individual soldiers. However this sure as hell sounds like an entire unit of rotten apples or at the very least a unit with multiple rotten apples and an entire lot of complacent bastards who couldn't bring themselves to turn in or at least anonymously tip off the authorities on the saddistic psycopaths in their unit.
                    You might remember that one of the Marines was killed the day before by a road side bomb in this area. None of us were there to see what happen.
                    Think about this for a second, these kids are walking and riding around these streets each day and someone is being killed or being wounded each day. Would you be able to keep your cool.

I was in the Navy and did not go to Nam.
                    But when we were in Korea, and I was on watch, my gun was loaded and I was told if anything move out by the water to shoot and they would sort it out later if I did the right thing. We also had a boat in the water and I had to go over to them every few minutes and may sure the 3 guys were my guys. They to were told to shoot at anything in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
                      You might remember that one of the Marines was killed the day before by a road side bomb in this area. None of us were there to see what happen.
                      Think about this for a second, these kids are walking and riding around these streets each day and someone is being killed or being wounded each day. Would you be able to keep your cool.

I was in the Navy and did not go to Nam.
                      But when we were in Korea, and I was on watch, my gun was loaded and I was told if anything move out by the water to shoot and they would sort it out later if I did the right thing. We also had a boat in the water and I had to go over to them every few minutes and may sure the 3 guys were my guys. They to were told to shoot at anything in the water.
                      if by keep my cool you mean refrain from murdering unarmed women and children yeah I probably could. By all accounts the kids killed weren't even involved in typical provocations like pelting the soldiers with rocks and bottles.

This wasn't a case of split second decision gone bad either. There was nothing to indicate the presence of armed hostiles among the victims or even in the general vicinity at the time of the incident.

Let me ask you, do you think it's never possible to judge the conduct of soldiers in war? Would it be ok to judge the conduct of SS troops on the eastern front in ww2?

I have a lot of respect for our soldiers as a group. Each and every one of them volunteered to put themselves in harms way to serve our country. But by no means do I feel complelled to extend that respect to every last person who volunteers. Once soldiers abandon their discipline and begin to commit such crimes I can't see why those 'solidiers' are any more deserving of our respect than deserters. And yet traditionally nobody objects to branding deserters as scum.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

if by keep my cool you mean refrain from murdering unarmed women and children yeah I probably could. By all accounts the kids killed weren't even involved in typical provocations like pelting the soldiers with rocks and bottles.

This wasn't a case of split second decision gone bad either. There was nothing to indicate the presence of armed hostiles among the victims or even in the general vicinity at the time of the incident.

Let me ask you, do you think it's never possible to judge the conduct of soldiers in war? Would it be ok to judge the conduct of SS troops on the eastern front in ww2?

I have a lot of respect for our soldiers as a group. Each and every one of them volunteered to put themselves in harms way to serve our country. But by no means do I feel complelled to extend that respect to every last person who volunteers. Once soldiers abandon their discipline and begin to commit such crimes I can't see why those 'solidiers' are any more deserving of our respect than deserters. And yet traditionally nobody objects to branding deserters as scum.
                        Well if they are guilty, they will spend the rest of their lives in a Brig, guarded by Marines. I would not want to be one of them. The Marines guarding them, will not be their friends. After a few months, they will wish they were dead and not in the brig.

Comment

If the basic facts are correct then those men are ****bags. Basically an IED went off killing one Marine so the rest went on a rampage and killed a bunch of villagers to get even. That is very typical of the us vs them mentality people complained the Marines had when I was over there.

That said I remember Hyditha being mentioned as a particularly hostile town full of cowardly insurgents who would attack from crowds. Crowds who would never admit to knowing who the triggermen were.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"The Marines guarding them, will not be their friends. After a few months, they will wish they were dead and not in the brig."

Judging by Abu Ghraib, it seems more likely to us in the R.O.W. that they'll be spending their time signing autographs and indulging in 'frat boy pranks'.
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

You seem to be assuming that dishonour to the uniform plays well with American servicemen, Seeker.

I'll take bets that it does not.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Iraq's My Lai

Originally posted by Kidicious
                                I think you took what I said the wrong way. I'm not ashamed, because I don't consider myself one of those people.
                                "... one of those people."
                                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                                X