No announcement yet.

Help with English-French translation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with English-French translation...

How do you say the following in French?

i) "To Whom It May Concern"

I got the suggestion "A qui concerne", but it doesn't sound right to me. Some web translators suggest "A qui de droit", which doesn't make sense either...

ii) "Department of Economics"

Is "Faculté de l'Economie Politique" ok? In Sweden a "faculty" is a much broader concept that encompasses several "departments". For example, a faculty of the social sciences includes a department of economics, a department of political science and so on. Not sure about the french equivalents, though...

iii) "Sincerely"

How about "Meilleurs salutations"?

iv) "Internship programme"

I propose "Un stage"...

v) "Certify"

I would use "Certifie", is that ok?

Be nice; no foul advice!

Many thanks in advance!

Carolus

1) A QUI DE DROIT

2) (la) Faculté des sciences économiques

4) un stage

5) not sure in what context.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

3) is good but you can also write

Je vous prie d'agréer, Monsieur/ Madame X, l'assurance de ma haute considération.
      Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; May 10, 2006, 05:34.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

For example, a faculty of the social sciences includes a department of economics, a department of political science and so on. Not sure about the french equivalents, though...

same in french. and within they have different branches (econometrics, economic history, public and environmental economics)

Comment

Far from being an expert, but I think the good answer is it depends.
          The problem is not in French, but in the English.
          It can be "concerne", "de droit", "interesse",or even put it in the passive form "...quil soit aplicable".
          As I see it, the safest is "interesse".
          Best regards,

Comment

3 is good, but a bit short. The usual phrase, in France, is pompous but at least it goes everywhere:

"je vous prie d'agréer, Monsieur/Madame (if you know the person), mes meilleures salutations"
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

mais, je suis un véritable gangster en français eh spiff - et en plus, elle n'est même pas ma langue natale!

Comment

Clair. Tu te démerdes pas mal du tout

Ca m'a l'air putain d'efficace l'immersion totale
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

langue maternelle, not natale

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

chui en suisse

Ca m'a l'air putain d'efficace l'immersion totale

je te dis, c'est la meilleure façon d'apprendre une langue.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                      je te dis, c'est la meilleure façon d'apprendre une langue.
                      Certes.

J'aurais vraiment du faire ça quand j'étais en Allemagne, au lieu de traîner tout le temps avec mes potes français

(En même temps, les potes en question sont excellents. Des vrais copains pour la vie )

Comment

ouais, ici j'ai que des potes genevois. dès que j'endends qqun qui parle en anglais, je fais marche arrière. chui pas venu ici pour améliorer mon anglais.

le problème pour tous les ptits ricains qui viennent ici c'est qu'ils logent tous ensemble et ne font pas l'effort de rencontrer des genevois. donc, ils apprennent rien du tout. (parceque ce n'est pas facile de faire des copains dans une ville étrangère)

moi j'ai trouvé mon propre logement avec une suissesse. maintenant, j'ai des potes vraiment sympas, avec qui je parle en français. c'était pas facile, mais aujourd'hui je suis trop heureux. si j'avais le choix, je ne rentrerai pas en californie.

Comment

Merci à tous! Je crois que ça va aller maintenant.

Ah, Geneva... I've lived there for about a year and a half... Very nice! Unfortunately, also very expensive...

Carolus

Comment

Oh, and "certify" as in "This letter certifies that..."... Would "Cette lettre cértifie que..." be ok?

BTW, should that be "certifie" or "cértifie"? Sigh...

Carolus

Comment

you can write

"par la présente, j'atteste que"

Comment

Working...
                              X