Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you guys seriously calling Whyte Avenue the "Blue Mile"...? That's what some of the articles I've read called it.

If so, that's pretty sad.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Go Oil!!

Bring on the Sabres/Hurricanes

/me
      Last edited by Sparrowhawk; May 28, 2006, 19:34.
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        Are you guys seriously calling Whyte Avenue the "Blue Mile"...? That's what some of the articles I've read called it.

If so, that's pretty sad.
        Not as sad as the Flames losing to a team the Oilers dispatched in 5.

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
        "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
        "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

• Why is Don Cherry dipped in lemon juice the same as Asher's last post?
          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
            And if you want to junk everything other than RT wins and losses, why not turn it on the head and look at RT losses?

The Oilers have fewer RT losses (28) than the 2000 Devils (29) the 1993 Canadians (30) the 1992 and 1991 Penguins (32 and 33)...
            You can't effectively compare those teams to this year's Oilers because of the ties. You don't know how many of the those ties would have become losses or wins under the current rules.

The current makeup of NHL rules means that there will be more points than in previous years... meaning that 93 points now is not as good as 93 points was before the rule changes.

For example, the 1991-1992 Penguins were 39-32-9. Even though ties only counted for 1 point, if they were playing under current rules, some of those tie games would have been wins (because that team won the Cup and no doubt would have won some of those games in OT), thus, their point total for the season would have been higher.

The Oilers of this season have all their OT wins counted into their win total already. The games they lost in OT are counted, obviously, in the OT loss total.

The new rules make the points in the standings higher than they have been historically, thus making mediocre teams seem better than they are in the standings.

There are no more ties. There's no more confusion as to winning percentage. The 91-92 Penguins had a winning percentage of .549. But because of ties, the equation is 39/71 because you take wins divided by games that came to a decision, not total games played. Had all games been forced to a decision like under the current rules, then the equation would be the same as how things are decided now.

Also, if you want to compare the overall talent of the 91-92 Penguins to this year's Oilers team, as relative to the rest of the NHL in their respective leagues, by all means, let's do so.

1991-1992 Pittsburgh Penguins stats

Lemieux had 131 points in 64 games.
            Stevens had 123 points in 80 games... 54 goals.
            Joe Mullen had 42 goals

a young Jagr had 69 pts in 70 games

Ron Francis was on that team, Tocchet was acquired late in the season and had 30 pts in 19 games. Coffey and Murphy on D.

The caliber of talent on that team was great. And then you look at the Oilers this year.

Ales Hemsky... Horcoff... Smyth...

meh

'nuff said.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by cinch

Not as sad as the Flames losing to a team the Oilers dispatched in 5.

Do you know anyone other than the CBC that call it that?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava

You can't effectively compare those teams to this year's Oilers because of the ties. You don't know how many of the those ties would have become losses or wins under the current rules.

The current makeup of NHL rules means that there will be more points than in previous years... meaning that 93 points now is not as good as 93 points was before the rule changes.
                That's true. There are more points out there for all teams to grab.

For example, the 1991-1992 Penguins were 39-32-9. Even though ties only counted for 1 point, if they were playing under current rules, some of those tie games would have been wins (because that team won the Cup and no doubt would have won some of those games in OT), thus, their point total for the season would have been higher.
                And teams this season playing under old rules would not have played for overtime so much, since they wouldn't have had the chance at two points.

The point is that you can only evaluate a team under the rules they played under.

The Oilers of this season have all their OT wins counted into their win total already. The games they lost in OT are counted, obviously, in the OT loss total.

The new rules make the points in the standings higher than they have been historically, thus making mediocre teams seem better than they are in the standings.
                Not so. The teams have to be judged within the standings of their season. Everyone got the extra points from shoot outs and OT wins. By these rules, the Oilers finished better than 18 other teams and tied with another.

There are no more ties. There's no more confusion as to winning percentage. The 91-92 Penguins had a winning percentage of .549. But because of ties, the equation is 39/71 because you take wins divided by games that came to a decision, not total games played. Had all games been forced to a decision like under the current rules, then the equation would be the same as how things are decided now.
                That's not how TSN shows pct. They go points divided by maximum possible.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by techumseh
                  Why is Don Cherry dipped in lemon juice the same as Asher's last post?
                  Anyone?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• I have no idea what you're talking about.

And I loved the Calgary Herald headline about the rioting in Edmonton: "Whyte Trashed".

Don't recall anything like that on the Red Mile in 2003-2004...Guess this is what happens when the true hick city celebrates.

As the celebration passed midnight on Saturday, some fans began breaking windows. Others threw wood onto a growing bonfire in the middle of the street. Two phone booths were also trashed, 15 people were arrested and crews had to put out fires in garbage containers.

There have been stabbings, women cavorting semi-nude while being held aloft in shopping carts, arrests for vandalism and drunkenness and people using a schoolyard as a public toilet.

One senior got spat at for not returning a besotted high-five.

Several of the business owners who had their windows smashed declined comment.

"This just seems like a big locomotive chugging down the track, and there's nothing that can stop it," she said.

"This is not the cost of doing business on Whyte. This is crime, and this is trashy."

Lowe said police and emergency workers are doing a fine job trying to keep a handle on the celebrations, but the problem has "become an unmanageable monster."
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• We had alot of that vandalism stuff 13 years ago, but I don't recall reports of using schoolyards as public toilets, or spitting at old people.

Maybe Montrealer old people had more sense than to be in the way though.
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Nothing excuses the people who go overboard. They obviously don't represent the majority of fans.

That being said:

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                        "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                        "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

• Originally posted by techumseh
                          Why is Don Cherry dipped in lemon juice the same as Asher's last post?
                          'Cause they're both "sour grapes".

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• I can't decide what's worse, Edmontonians spitting on seniors, starting bonfires downtown, smashing windows, stabbing people, etc ... or their sense of humour.
                            Last edited by Asher; May 29, 2006, 14:29.

Comment

• We were ignoring you for a reason, Chumpseh.
                              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Man, you're a real dick, Joncha.
                                Ditto.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                                X