No announcement yet.

Religion in Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've worked sundays, seems lately that is the day I am more likely to work then any other.

There are some jobs that actually don't mind folks taking different days of the week in order to stagger the shifts. My delivery job was one such job, unfortunately everyone worked Fridays and Saturdays due to the increased traffic. The senior guy always got Sunday-Monday off and I never was quite senior enough to get that shift.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by mactbone
      The point is that most employers treat Christmas as a paid holiday and most employees of other faiths take off for their holidays using their own vacation or not getting paid.
      That's because everybody gets Christmas off. Indeed, to most people Christmas is just a public holiday with little religious connection.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        hypothetical: You are hiring for a position, interviews are set for the same day for all three... two guys show up, one doesn't and claims it was against his religion.

what do you do?
        Choose one between the two who showed up.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeah, what kind of ass would schedule an interview for a day when he knew he wouldn't be able to go?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Japher's real issue with this isn't even religion or anything. He's just mad that someone is trying to take credit for something they didn't do. I'm really confused why the reason he didn't do what he's trying to take credit for is even an issue. Would it be as bad or worse if the guy didn't work that day because he was at the zoo, at a funeral or just boinking some chick? It's all the same - he didn't do the work so he doesn't get credit.
            I never know their names, But i smile just the same
            New faces...Strange places,
            Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
            -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Yeah but a funeral is seen as a legitmate excuse. You can't really organise a funeral time solely around your working hours, whereas you can boink a chick anytime you want outside of work hours.

Comment

So no they're not really the same. Though I agree you shouldn't turn up the next day at work taking credit when you obviously had nothing to do with it.

Comment

I don't think Lee tried to take any credit though. First off, his team lost, so there wasn't really any credit to be taken. Second, he flat out said that A) he wasn't in a position to make any judgements on who performed best or worst and B) he knew that missing two tasks wasn't good and was prepared to accept being fired for it.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

he's getting the credit though
                    he should be fired for not showing up!

Granted Trump can do what ever he wants but the whole "Religion" excuse crap is annoying, and if Trump fires him and that dude says he was fired for being a jew Trump will lose a lot of buisness.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Meh, he'll be fired because he's not very good. No need to rock the boat on the whole holiday thing. Although I do agree with your broader point, and one that's been raised in the interview scenario here - he would have known that this season would conflict with the Jewish holidays, so maybe he shouldn't have accepted the offer to compete in the first place.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                      X