No announcement yet.

A horray for capitalism!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also realize that it doesn't make sense for me to force a good employee to do something absolutely unreasonable. I'm not going to piss off a good employee by making him/her clean the toilets - that's ridiculous, and would cost me either the employee or that employee's productivity in the long run.

Managers, or at least good ones, recognize that there is no incentive to "screw over" good employees.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
      Managers, or at least good ones, recognize that there is no incentive to "screw over" good employees.
      Trouble is, there's a lot of bad managers out there who like to screw over the employees just for the visceral rush of exerting power over another human being.

Comment

Well, theoretically they won't/shouldn't be around much longer, but I recognize that bad management exists and have dealt with it myself in the past, both above and below me.

Either way, though, refusing to carry out an assignment while on the clock is and should be grounds for termination.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
          ... refusing to carry out an assignment while on the clock is and should be grounds for termination.
          Insubordination is not good and is cause for discipline, up to and including termination.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Really? What's the position would you put on the employment contract?

What employment contract?
            An evil Brit tradition, I surmise.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              See, that's where the differences come in. Restocking the shelves may or may not be work related, depending on your PoV.

No one is hired as a "cashier". When I worked at CVS, I was an "associate". That meant I mostly worked at the register, but a lot of times I restocked shelves, I took out the trash, etc.

And even 'cashiers' (if any are still hired) still may be required to do other store related duties, especially because almost all (if not all) say they must do so. If they don't read it, then it's their fault.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

See, that's where the differences come in. Restocking the shelves may or may not be work related, depending on your PoV.

Do you live in the real world?

Let me give you a real world example. I work at Super Target as a cashier -- we have a strong teamwork ethic here at Super Target. Part of this teamwork ethic is a willingness to do tasks and jobs that are not ordinarily part of your primary responsibility.

My primary responsibility is cashiering. Other tasks I have done the past year and a half at Super Target include gathering carts outside in the parkiing -- including when it was COLD out, and wet, helping replace reshop items after the store has closed for the night, and helping guests with carrying out large items or large cart loads of items.

I don't complain about doing these other tasks because it's all about doing what we can do to, to provide quality service for our guests. And, I know that it would be unreasonable for me to have this selfish notion that I am only to do cashiering, and to hell with what my superiors, and my co-workers want me to do.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Super Target. Sorry, I just find the name funny.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    Super Target. Sorry, I just find the name funny.

You heretic -- there is nothing to laugh at the name of Super Target.

Super Targets have a grocery, deli, bakery, and pharmacy all in one building! It's something to respect and worship -- not to laugh at.

Comment

[q=MrFun]And, I know that it would be unreasonable for me to have this selfish notion that I am only to do cashiering, and to hell with what my superiors, and my co-workers want me to do.[/q]

Those type of people (ones that just stand at the register all the time) are the ones HATED by other employees. Just absolutely HATED!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        [q=MrFun]And, I know that it would be unreasonable for me to have this selfish notion that I am only to do cashiering, and to hell with what my superiors, and my co-workers want me to do.[/q]

Those type of people (ones that just stand at the register all the time) are the ones HATED by other employees. Just absolutely HATED!
                        Exactly -- because those type of workers are self-centered and lazy.

Comment

If they don't want to stock the shelves when you need them to, then you fire them and get someone that will. When someone has an additude like that they lessen their value to the organization.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Well the key is to help your brother get another job. Hopefully, he will learn from this experience. At the first sign of an unfair/unreasonable supervisor, he will begin preparing an exit strategy.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Fool, if she was beatiful, you should have tried to seduce her and then maybe you would understand her...

Comment

Working...
                              X