Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to Kenobiville... a great place to live!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well freedom of speech is different, and I believe malls are as well since they were deemed to be public squares. A pharmacy doesn't meet that same criteria I don't think. Nor would that ruling apply to contraceptives.

Freedom of speech isn't really different . Just because it is #1 doesn't mean its greater than any other Bill of Rights rights. It may fall under 'unconscionable' contracts. If a contract says you can't sell contraceptives, and that is considered a privacy right under the Bill of Rights, it may be seen as violating public policy and something you aren't allowed to contract into.

It may also be considered a restriction on alienability (if the provisions says you can't sell it to anyone unless they agree to restrict as well).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Depends. After all, malls can't ban freedom of speech (ie, they can't prevent you from wearing an anti-war shirt), indicating that certain private property takes on public responsibilities. If there is a Florida law that requires pharmacies to sell contraception, then he can't prevent that. It may also be an unconscionable contract (certain things you can't contract for because they are so opposed to public policy).
      When I lived in Pittsburgh in the mid-90s, a group was prohibited from handing out leaflets in a mall. (They were handing out leaflets that detailed Disney's use of child labor in the 3rd world -- in front of a Disney Store.) Their removal was deemed legit because the mall was private property and the mall management ordered the removal. Has something changed since then?
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Jokes and trolls aside..

So... if you are on Ben, would you live there?
        If I wanted that life Aggie, I would have chosen to enter the monastery, and live as a monk. I had an opportunity to do so last year on a retreat, to see what the life was like, and whether I enjoyed my time.

I remember a friend of mine laughing at me when I wasn't even cold in their chapel! I was quite happy for few days, but I didn't believe then, or now that my calling lies there.

My patron saint is the saint of exiles, he engaged the world, and so it seems to be my fate also.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          When I lived in Pittsburgh in the mid-90s, a group was prohibited from handing out leaflets in a mall. (They were handing out leaflets that detailed Disney's use of child labor in the 3rd world -- in front of a Disney Store.) Their removal was deemed legit because the mall was private property and the mall management ordered the removal. Has something changed since then?
          They can prevent certain things as long as they are viewpoint neutral, just like your public park or courthouse can (time, manner, place restrictions). They can say NO ONE can hand out flyers outside the steps, but they can't say that just one group can't.

Malls are semi-public, so I think they have some extra rights in excluding people, but I still don't think they can do it on viewpoint, but on the act itself.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Didn't Pullman try that over a century ago, building a town where it's employees could rent houses, shop in the company store and go to work? Trouble was, once the employer has financial dominion over every aspect of your life, you have no chance to advance yourself. You won't even be able to buy a condom.
            Yes, there have been a wide variety of towns and colonies constructed precisely along the lines of this town. None have been successful, they either wither and fade away, or they grow and expand to the point where you cannot retain the qualities which made this place special.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

If there is a Florida law that requires pharmacies to sell contraception, then he can't prevent that.
              Since he can build a town almost anywhere he wanted & money was no object, isn't it logical he would have researched in advance for the best location in the US where he would least need to worry about laws hindering his utopia?
              I would be surprised if he picked an area in Florida because he had coupon. Although, I would have suspected a midwest state before Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                the aclu and planned parenthood should leave them alone - lets see if it works.
                A smarter thing to do would be to leave them alone but pass a state law requiring all pharmacies to fill all valid perscriptions. Don't want to do it? Then get out of the pharmacy business.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If I wanted that life Aggie, I would have chosen to enter the monastery, and live as a monk. I had an opportunity to do so last year on a retreat, to see what the life was like, and whether I enjoyed my time.

So you say you don't want to live in a place that is built especially to conform with your moral values... weird.

Anyway, any folks up for a whip round so that we can buy Sava an apartment in this town?
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Well freedom of speech is different, and I believe malls are as well since they were deemed to be public squares. A pharmacy doesn't meet that same criteria I don't think. Nor would that ruling apply to contraceptives.

Freedom of speech isn't really different . Just because it is #1 doesn't mean its greater than any other Bill of Rights rights. It may fall under 'unconscionable' contracts. If a contract says you can't sell contraceptives, and that is considered a privacy right under the Bill of Rights, it may be seen as violating public policy and something you aren't allowed to contract into.

It may also be considered a restriction on alienability (if the provisions says you can't sell it to anyone unless they agree to restrict as well).
                    I'm just saying that I know the case you were referring to, and I doubt it is applicable to other issues. For contract issues you have apartments refusing to rent to individuals with pets or guns or any number of things. Those are permisible.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      I'm just saying that I know the case you were referring to, and I doubt it is applicable to other issues. For contract issues you have apartments refusing to rent to individuals with pets or guns or any number of things. Those are permisible.
                      It depends. The courts are just wary of 'private towns' and what they prevent their citizens from doing.

And refusing to rent to individuals with pets or guns has never been something considered unconscionable (ie, against the public policy of a state or the country - for example, I believe there was a case that struck down a contract saying you have to stay a certain religion in order to continue to rent X property). And we are talking about selling property and you can't put other conditions on it for sale (can't say "you can't sell it to X").

Comment

So you say you don't want to live in a place that is built especially to conform with your moral values... weird.
                        I don't know if I can make it more understandable. Might be better to do this via pm...

Comment

Makes sense to me. Christians are suppose to go out into the world to spread God's love.

Hiding away all your life is a bad thing, it keeps you from sharing God with your fellow man. Although some time away can be a good thing to regroup.

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

IThe legal details are probably going to be a moot point - the social pressures in such a town are going to override in practice any laws. Pharmacies wouldn't stock any contraceptives because it wouldn't make any economic sense.

Besides it's not too far from other towns.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                            X