Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else here seen the cartoons that are run on Al Jazeera daily?
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• No, but I heard that Kofi Annan said in a comment that the press has an obligation to be respectful of people's religion.

And I've noticed on cnn.com that "CNN has chosen to not show the cartoons in respect for Islam."

Comment

• Originally posted by Winston

And I've noticed on cnn.com that "CNN has chosen to not show the cartoons in respect for Islam."
        If that is true, then it's the most stupid move a news channel has ever made. It has sold it's integrety.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yet another proof of the Beeb's superiority
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• I've seen the images on CNN, but the head of the Prophet was blurred

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
              Where's the 'Poly Muslims, BTW? Shouldn't Imran be defending the Al-Aqsa Brigades' constitutional right to limit freedom of speech in foreign countries?
              There aren't many, which is why the constant drumbeat of "Islam " keep coming.

NOw, as an aethist, I think all belief in some deity is stupid.

Also as an aethist, I don;t give a **** about the Danes or their silly papers. These things were posted simply to offend. And people got very offended. NO **** SHERLOCK!.

Freedom of the press is great, fine. But it has consequences. You seek to stir a hornets nest, don't act pissy when they come sting you.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by VetLegion
                I've seen the images on CNN, but the head of the Prophet was blurred
                "CNN has chosen to not show the cartoons in respect for Islam." - End of the 4th paragraph.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap

There aren't many, which is why the constant drumbeat of "Islam " keep coming.

NOw, as an aethist, I think all belief in some deity is stupid.

Also as an aethist, I don;t give a **** about the Danes or their silly papers. These things were posted simply to offend. And people got very offended. NO **** SHERLOCK!.

Freedom of the press is great, fine. But it has consequences. You seek to stir a hornets nest, don't act pissy when they come sting you.
                  As per usual, you my friend are talking out of your arse.

Comment

As per usual, you my friend are talking out of your arse.
                    Says the bigot.

Comment

• Post reported.

Comment

I don't know how the Danish Muslim community reacted originally in Sept 2005 (Winston said there was a civilized debate, and the matter was largely forgotten till the Saudis meddled in)

But here's how the reaction of the French Muslim community looks like:

From Le Monde

Les musulmans de France dénoncent un acte raciste
                        LE MONDE | 02.02.06 | 13h55

Le Conseil français du culte musulman (CFCM) a condamné, mercredi 1er février, les caricatures de Mahomet parues le même jour dans le quotidien France Soir comme "une provocation", "une atteinte au sacré (...) insupportable". Dans un communiqué, l'instance représentative dénonce un "acte fomenté par des cercles racistes et xénophobes (qui) met une nouvelle fois en exergue l'islamophobie envers les musulmans et leur religion".

L'ambassadeur du Danemark en France devait se rendre, jeudi 2 février, à la Mosquée de Paris afin de rencontrer le recteur Dalil Boubakeur, dans un geste d'apaisement. Mais, pour l'instant, les responsables musulmans de France semblent se cantonner à une protestation largement symbolique. "La majorité des grandes fédérations est dans l'expectative", confie un membre du CFCM. Seul Mohamed Bechari, président de la Fédération nationale des musulmans de France (FNMF), semblait décider à mener une action en justice contre France Soir, avant d'apprendre le limogeage de son directeur. Les représentants des autres fédérations font valoir que M. Bechari entretient de nombreuses relations dans le monde arabe.

Saïd Branine, l'un des animateurs du site oumma.com, principal site Internet musulman francophone, affirme que son média ne réagira pas à ce qu'il considère comme "une provocation". "Le mouvement de protestation contre les caricatures est parti de l'Arabie saoudite, pays qui se place toujours dans la surenchère religieuse. En France, il y a des sujets plus importants pour les musulmans."

Le ministère des affaires étrangères a souligné, dans un communiqué, mercredi 1er février, l'attachement de la France à la liberté d'expression, mais condamné "tout ce qui blesse les individus". Le ministre Philippe Douste-Blazy a appelé la presse à "un esprit de tolérance, dans le respect des croyances et des religions".

Basically, the French Muslim community uses harsh language to denounce a "provocation" that is an "unbearable attack againt the holy". It accuses the whole thing to have originated from "racist and xenophobic circles, which extol Islamophobia toward the Muslims and their religion".

But past this verbal outrage (which they are entirely entitled to do, what with them being religionists and all that), the Muslim Community hasn't done squat yet. Only one of its prominent members pondered suing the newspaper France-soir, that reprinted the pics, but that was before the editor was fired. According to one of the main animators of Oumma.com (the reference website for Francophone Islam), his media won't reply to the provocation. Also, "the protestations against the cartoons have originated in Saudi Arabia, a country which always overblows reliigious matters. In France, there are more pressing matters to the Muslims."

I think this kind of reply can allow for a democratic debate about the matter of not provoking the public. Such debate would be nice actually, if you consider that the US didn't have a broad debate about it, and is now the home of PC-ness gone wild.

The **** comes, unsurprisingly, from the Saudis. When it first printed the pics, I don't think Jylland Posten expected the debate to go beyond the borders of Denmark.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Post reported.
                          Go ahead. You were the one making anti-Arab statements.

Truth hurt?

Comment

• BTW, it's not the first time there have been cartoons about Mohamed. Le Monde has interviewed several French cartoonists, including people who did cartoons of Mohamed in the past, which were just as non-nice as those in the Jyllands Posten. However, they resulted in some complaint letters, and that was about it.

Comment

• From what has been posted, obviously someone decided to make political hay from this. Editorial cartoons in small market papers are not going to cause global protests unless someone goes out of their way to make an issue of them.

Comment

Go ahead. You were the one making anti-Arab statements.
                                You're unpleasant and a liar. I have never done any such thing.

You, on the other hand storm into this thread with all your patented opinions and try to cause as much commotion as possible, then when somebody calls you on it, you play the time-honoured GePap tactic of calling him a bigot. In your 2nd post to the thread. Real classy.

So yes, you were reported.

Comment

Working...
                                X