This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clash of civs, Pt.1: Denmark vs Islam

News, analysis from the Middle East & worldwide, multimedia & interactives, opinions, documentaries, podcasts, long reads and broadcast schedule.

Denmark's prime minister has said his government cannot act against satirical cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed after Libya closed its embassy in Copenhagen amid growing Muslim anger over the dispute.

The newspaper Jyllands-Posten had not intended to insult Muslims when it published the drawings, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Danish prime minister said on Sunday, referring to an editorial on the paper's website in Danish and Arabic.

But while Rasmussen tried to assuage Muslim anger, Libya on Sunday closed its embassy in Denmark in protest at the drawings.

Earlier this week, Saudi Arabia recalled its ambassador from Denmark and Saudi religious leaders have urged a boycott of Danish products.

"Because the Danish media had continued to show disrespect to the Prophet Mohammed and because the Danish authorities failed to take any responsible action on that, Libya decided to close its embassy in Copenhagen," the Libyan Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Libya also threatened to take unspecified "economic measures" against Denmark.

Islam considers images of prophets disrespectful and caricatures of them blasphemous.

Since Jyllands-Posten published the drawings in September, the Danish government has repeatedly defended the right of free speech.

"The government can in no way could influence the media. And the Danish government and the Danish nation as such cannot be held responsible for what is published in independent media," Fogh Rasmussen said.

The newspaper has not apologised for publishing the drawings, which have caused widespread anger among Muslims around the world.

In a demonstration on the West Bank, members of Fatah's al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades threatened Danes in the area and told them to leave immediately, the Danish news agency Ritzau reported on Sunday.

The demonstrators burned the Danish flag and called on the Palestinian authorities to cut diplomatic ties with Denmark, Ritzau said.

Discuss
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Denmark
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh boo ****ing hoo.

Denmark
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Jack Bauer is on his way to Denmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
            Oh boo ****ing hoo.

Denmark
            QFT

Could one of our Danish posters (or anyone near enough to get a copy) post a pic of this cartoon?
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yeah, what does the cartoon look like?
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

LOL I bet half these bozos have trouble FINDING Denmark, let alone attacking it.

On the bright side...hey Israelis at least Hamas found something else to ***** about for a few hours before 'we return to our regular scheduled programme'?
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Over a newspaper cartoon? Whaaa?
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

The cartoons were easy to find with a little Googling, but here's a link for those who don't bother or know how to. My personal favorite is number 7. http://www.di2.nu/files/Muhammed_Car...ds_Posten.html
                    Last edited by Patriqvium; January 30, 2006, 04:58.
                    Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

"You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                      Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

If they don't like this place, just leave, nobody is forcing them to stay here
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

PRAISE ALLAH for Danish feta
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Well, prohibitions in Islam against any images of people notwithstanding, I can see the first one being very offensive. I'm not a Christian, but I would find a cartoon of Jesus of Nazareth as an abortion clinic bomber to be highly offensive. Not enough to declare "Jihad!!1" on the cartoonist, but enough to be digusted with him/her. The second one is pretty funny. Some of the others I understand, but they aren't amusing, they're just commentary. The rest are just dumb and easily dismissed.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X