CANPOL: Today is election day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Let's see what happens after a government and a campaign where a weasel like Martin can't haul out abortion as a campaign issue.
    I'd say about 15-20% of our national congressional elections (in America) are decided mostly on that issue
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369

JM, I think it is no longer tied to that, it's mostly just old names for parties, same as the GOP or the elephant symbol are not particularly relevant any more, and some (elderly) people call Republicans "Whigs" due to centuries-old party groupings (back when we had more than 2 parties...)

Tories back in the 1700s were the King's Loyalists, now they probably don't have much in the way of a stance toward the Queen (though I could be wrong) ... but they're still the Conservatives, just the same, as "King's loyalist' meant conservative politics back a few centuries.
      Someone calls Republicans Whigs?

Really? Whigs died out before Republicans existance in 1840.

The US has never really had more then two parties (we have had movements.. which gnerally don't last a decade). Initially we had Federalists and Republican Democrats. Then we had Whigs and Democrates, then a decade or so of just Democrats. Then Republicans and Democrats, which we have had for ~150 years.

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

A win in which they will be able to do precisely jack, since all the other parties are well to their left, as I said when the campaign began.
        The other three parties will have to grant a first budget (within 3 months) where things mentioned in the platform are enacted, or they risk getting a Conservative majority that is not honed by compromise in response to a premature election trigger.

They'll also get support from the Bloc and NDP for Parliamentary reform.

If the Liberals can't **** up the works, the Tories will enact their major planks before the next vote. Then they'll run on 'we said it, we did it'. and then you can flush the Liberal strategies of the last two campaigns ('ahhh, the barbarians are at the gates') and then you can throw open the doors of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver and see a majority if the issues are right.

Flattery will get you nowhere.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Must go to bed now, must be awake at 6:30am!

See ya all canadian folks.

Let wish us, a good 4 years government.
          bleh

Comment

• Anybody know anything about this Independent? Is he potential Speaker material?

Comment

• If the Liberals can't **** up the works
              Liberals always **** the works...
              Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

• What does the lower percentages say about the results of this election?

And is the right/left thing the biggest deal? Did liberals have similiar problems getting anyone to work with them?

It seems as if NDP/Liberal might both be left. But the Bloc defies left/right description it seems to me.

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• The subplot will be the RCMP, and what they do when the Liberals are not at the controls of Justice and SolGen.

Do you find it curious that not a single officer of the Liberal Party of Canada has been charged after millions were stolen from the taxpayer that went directly into the coffers of the Liberal Party of Canada?

How soon do you think the Bloc and NDP want the curtain to go down on that show?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• A win in which they will be able to do precisely jack, since all the other parties are well to their left, as I said when the campaign began.
                    125 Conservatives, that's a gain of 25 seats. They lost some in BC, and picked some up in Quebec, and Ontario.

Not too shabby. This is what we would have liked to see 18 months ago, and what we expected.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The Bloc seems to go right more often than not, which is weird for a separatist party. It seems the Conservatives will need to rely on them to get things done in their minority.
                      Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

• The independent is a well known Quebec radio commentators... his names is André Arthur. Just give a look on google with his names, he is a little 'demagogic.

My dad listen at him really often. He is very popular in the working class... like many others radio commentators that you have in english canada.

He is really more near the tories. He was very controversial(like any demagogic speaker). I think his question will be very interesting at Ottawa. And he is a libertarian-right wing.
                        If you can translate it:
                        bleh

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                          Tories back in the 1700s were the King's Loyalists, now they probably don't have much in the way of a stance toward the Queen (though I could be wrong)
                          You're wrong. We are conservative.

It ain't broke, don't fix it!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

• I have noticed Liberals/Democrats/Labour all acting very conservatively.

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Fair to good victory speech. Harper is definately speaking better this election.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                                I have noticed Liberals/Democrats/Labour all acting very conservatively.

Jon Miller
                                That happens.

But not if the winds shift.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X