Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher

Racism is done to death. It's boring.

It is slightly more interesting than Plato, who has been done to death^4.

If we know everything we need to know about racism why do we still have societal problems when it comes to race?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Because we can't let go of the past. Dwelling in it even more won't fix that.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Tell you what guys -- Asher and Imran can go ahead and solve the world's problem with race, and then I promise to quit my interest in historical issues related to race and find something else.

Can't wait to see how Imran and Asher will solve this problem with their magical powers.

Comment

• MrFun, you're not going to solve problems with race any more than I am or Imran is. Studying racism in the past won't change that.

Racism is more of a psychological ailment than anything else.

Frankly, racism isn't an issue where I live. That's mostly an American phenomenon, and sociologists and psychologists are more apt to studying that than a historian is.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• And I won't make it too difficult -- we're dealing with the entire world, after all.

So I think 20 years should be enough for Asher and Imran to work on this.

Comment

MrFun, you're not going to solve problems with race any more than I am or Imran is. Studying racism in the past won't change that.

Racism is more of a psychological ailment than anything else.

Frankly, racism isn't an issue where I live. That's mostly an American phenomenon, and sociologists and psychologists are more apt to studying that than a historian is.
              Studying the historical issues of race draws the relevancy and connections with the problems of racism that we still deal with today, in our contemporary society.

You can't chop the past of our world from the present. And of course there are areas of the world where racism is much less of a problem than in United States, South Africa, or elsewhere.

Comment

• You wanna know why we have racism today?

White guys look on the news and see black gang bangers shooting things up.
                Black guys look on the news and see white cops beating black kids.

It doesn't have anything to do with the civil war anymore, we're past that.

Comment

You wanna know why we have racism today?

White guys look on the news and see black gang bangers shooting things up.
                  Black guys look on the news and see white cops beating black kids.

It doesn't have anything to do with the civil war anymore, we're past that.

Ah -- I remember when I was a naive kid, and made gross oversimplifications such as yours, of a dynamic, complex, societal problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by St Leo
                    WTF is an ounce?:P
                    It's what you do one time in Britain or any of the Commonwealth with proper spelling.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• NYE -- just stick to the Canpol threads, ok?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
                        Ah -- I remember when I was a naive kid, and made gross oversimplifications such as yours, of a dynamic, complex, societal problem.
                        I just wanted you to implicate the fields actually responsible for this type of research -- sociology.

Carry on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I heard that plumbers make loads more than college grads. Is that true?
                          Yes, and increasing.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                            Yes, and increasing.
                            How much does the average plumber get as a starting wage/salary?

The average starting salary last year for a fresh-out-of-university compsci student with no internship was ~$49,000/year from my school. They ramp up pretty fast as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Great post . The economy has changed greatly and the physical labor jobs that used to earn good pay aren't there anymore. They've mostly been robot-ized. For decent jobs now, employers want workers who are more skilled.
                              Crap post. It completely ignores trades where a good wage can be had and college is not required.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
                                What is boring about any of those subjects? Racism is a compelling subject, as United States STILL has a hang-up when it comes to race.
                                Wha?

Racism happened in the past. Ok, we get it. Does every minute pratice about the act have to be instantly compelling?
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X