New study shows college students lack common skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New study shows college students lack common skills

WASHINGTON - Nearing a diploma, most college students cannot handle many complex but common tasks, from understanding credit card offers to comparing the cost per ounce of food.

Those are the sobering findings of a study of literacy on college campuses, the first to target the skills of students as they approach the start of their careers.

More than 50 percent of students at four-year schools and more than 75 percent at two-year colleges lacked the skills to perform complex literacy tasks.

That means they could not interpret a table about exercise and blood pressure, understand the arguments of newspaper editorials, compare credit card offers with different interest rates and annual fees or summarize results of a survey about parental involvement in school.

The results cut across three types of literacy: analyzing news stories and other prose, understanding documents and having math skills needed for checkbooks or restaurant tips.

"It is kind of disturbing that a lot of folks are graduating with a degree and they're not going to be able to do those things," said Stephane Baldi, the study's director at the American Institutes for Research, a behavioral and social science research organization.

Most students at community colleges and four-year schools showed intermediate skills, meaning they could perform moderately challenging tasks. Examples include identifying a location on a map, calculating the cost of ordering office supplies or consulting a reference guide to figure out which foods contain a particular vitamin.

There was brighter news.

Overall, the average literacy of college students is significantly higher than that of adults across the nation. Study leaders said that was encouraging but not surprising, given that the spectrum of adults includes those with much less education.

Also, compared with all adults with similar levels of education, college students had superior skills in searching and using information from texts and documents.

"But do they do well enough for a highly educated population? For a knowledge-based economy? The answer is no," said Joni Finney, vice president of the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education, an independent and nonpartisan group.

"This sends a message that we should be monitoring this as a nation, and we don't do it," Finney said. "States have no idea about the knowledge and skills of their college graduates."

The survey examined college and university students nearing the end of their degree programs. The students did the worst on matters involving math, according to the study.

Almost 20 percent of students pursuing four-year degrees had only basic quantitative skills. For example, the students could not estimate if their car had enough gas to get to the service station. About 30 percent of two-year students had only basic math skills.

Baldi and Finney said the survey should be used as a tool. They hope state leaders, educators and university trustees will examine the rigor of courses required of all students.

The survey showed a strong relationship between analytic coursework and literacy. Students in two-year and four-year schools scored higher when they took classes that challenged them to apply theories to practical problems or weigh competing arguments.

The college survey used the same test as the National Assessment of Adult Literacy, the government's examination of English literacy among adults. The results of that study were released in December, showing about one in 20 adults is not literate in English.

On campus, the tests were given in 2003 to a representative sample of 1,827 students at public and private schools. The Pew Charitable Trusts funded the survey.

It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Disturbing, but not very suprising( at least in my experiences). Most students in my university don't even try to get better than a C. Not to mention most of them stay away from sciences and math.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Arts students This never happens with those who do science/numerate disciplies...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well those that can't understand news articles are probably the engineering majors who have "huge papers to write" that are about a paragraph in length but take them all evening to finish.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

This is because you can get a degree in picking the butt and 'what smell is this'-leadership.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I've met biology students who believe in Bigfoot and the aquatic ape theory, and a physics student who thought Mars was red because it was red-shifted. Stupidity can thrive in the sciences as well.

Comment

...what's the aquatic ape theory?
            B♭3

Comment

A theory that humans are descended from a species of apes/hominids that were adapted for an aquatic lifestyle. It's superficially compelling - it 'explains' the upright human posture and lack of hair, for example.

Comment

The Aquatic Ape theory may be merely factually wrong, but it has the overwhelming advantage of being AWESOME!!
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                  I've met biology students who believe in Bigfoot and the aquatic ape theory, and a physics student who thought Mars was red because it was red-shifted. Stupidity can thrive in the sciences as well.
                  The aquatic ape theory (descended from a population shore living, wading apes) might not truly explain any observations about humans, possibly suggests a few predictions about humans which aren't borne out, and lacks any compelling fossil evidence but like bigfoot believing in it would not be contrary to modren biology, rather it just wouldn't pass occams razor. Neither belief in the recent existence of a large humanoid species as accounting for "bigfoot" nor belief in an unsupported 'aquatic ape' theory are stupid, they just lack sufficient evidence to invite serious scientific exploration.

Comment

Is't that Elaine Morgan lady who popularised that Aquatic Ape BS a Feminazi with an ax to grind?

Comment

I find it disturbing that the article bemoans the low level of literacy amongst college grads and then states that its great that college grads are more literate than those who did not, meaning of course that the situation amongst those graduating from High School must be attrocious.

The survey showed a strong relationship between analytic coursework and literacy. Students in two-year and four-year schools scored higher when they took classes that challenged them to apply theories to practical problems or weigh competing arguments.

This statement more than anything shows why Universities must remain bastions of the liberal education model, instead of just bieng trade schools whose sole purpose is passing on job skills.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Well considering that a college degree is considered the same as a high school degree a few decades, is this any surprise?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

My ex had English essays to mark twice a term, and it was astonishing how absolutely gobsmackingly awful some of their command of the language was. Spelling mistskes are inexcusable in an English essay typed on a computer, and especially for those who are good enough to turn spellcheck off (like me ), but those with no idea of grammar are the worst. I, like, particularly, like, like the person who used like in the sense illustrated so beautifully in this sentence. There is an important difference between a text message and an essay on American literature, but some of the students these days seem unable to make this distinction.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Well considering that a college degree is considered the same as a high school degree a few decades, is this any surprise?
                            Elected school boards = schools worrying about angering parents by giving too many kids bad grades = dumbed down K-12

College departments making professors give "how well did you like this class" questionares at the end of the semester does the same thing because students that did poorly will give the Prof bad marks.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              Arts students This never happens with those who do science/numerate disciplies...
                              If that actually was the case, then it'd be rather amazing, since science students do need math...

I have little need for maths, and I don't mind. It doesn't hinder my way of life in any way!

Nearly everything I learned at high school involving math I have forgotten entirely, because it's absolutely useless to me. I don't use it - therefore I don't remember what it's all about
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                              X