No announcement yet.

New study shows college students lack common skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fact that you think that reading done in liberal arts classes is the same as reading "Dune" for pleasure is the ridiculous part.

Now you are trying to make some sort of distinction between 'studying' and 'reading' as you back away from your previous statement. Funny. What exactly did you think they were doing in that literature class, btw?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
      Reading is different than studying. Reading is reading literature, studying is reading and understanding textbooks.

In undergraduate school and graduate school with majors such as history, you need to read the material and comprehend what you're reading in order to prepare for any discussion, papers, and exams to test you on information, or to look more in-depth at a particular issue, perspective, or argument.

Espcially in graduate school, history courses are conducted with more advanced discussion of historiographical issues, and other historians' arguments and perspectives.

It's not just busy-work as you so obtusely put it.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        The fact that you think that reading done in liberal arts classes is the same as reading "Dune" for pleasure is the ridiculous part.
        How is reading done for a literature class any different from reading "Dune" for pleasure? The only difference is you need to pay close attention so you can analyze it later effectively.

Now you are trying to make some sort of distinction between 'studying' and 'reading' as you back away from your previous statement. Funny. What exactly did you think they were doing in that literature class, btw?
        My statement was in the context of a literature class, reading literature.

They certainly aren't studying when reading trashy French literature.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• How is reading done for a literature class any different from reading "Dune" for pleasure? The only difference is you need to pay close attention so you can analyze it later effectively.

That's a tiny difference? Reading for pleasure and analytically reading a text (or in other words, "studying" a text) are vastly different things.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

In undergraduate school and graduate school with majors such as history, you need to read the material and comprehend what you're reading in order to prepare for any discussion, papers, and exams to test you on information, or to look more in-depth at a particular issue, perspective, or argument.
            Oh, I see the problem. I guess in the science fields, comprehension is implied by reading, while apparently in the arts world they are different ideas.

Espcially in graduate school, history courses are conducted with more advanced discussion of historiographical issues, and other historians' arguments and perspectives.

It's not just busy-work as you so obtusely put it.
            I think if you're assigned 100 novels as part of a french history course, it's busywork.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

That's a tiny difference? Reading for pleasure and analytically reading a text (or in other words, "studying" a text) are vastly different things.
              Only if you speed read or have poor reading comprehension skills. Which I guess ties into the original topic of this thread, many people don't know how to properly read.

The process of reading is gathering information that is printed on a page, or a screen, etc. The process isn't any different if you're reading for pleasure or for studying, unless you have difficulties with reading comprehension that forces you to slowly read in the latter case.

The analysis comes after you read, not during.

Comment

Oh, I see the problem. I guess in the science fields, comprehension is implied by reading, while apparently in the arts world they are different ideas.

I think if you're assigned 100 novels as part of a french history course, it's busywork.

Have you ever heard of the term, "reading comprehension." That term implies that you can read anything you want, but . . . . do you have the ability to comprehend what you're reading?

Comment

• Asher comprehends it... then insults it... then says he's better then it... then says he can program a computer to do it better than you...
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Have you ever heard of the term, "reading comprehension." That term implies that you can read anything you want, but . . . . do you have the ability to comprehend what you're reading?
                    Yes, reading comprehension is a fundamental part of reading at a post-elementary school level. Apparently, that is a skill still needed by many of those in the arts field, as evidenced by the topic of this thread.

Comment

Yes, reading comprehension is a fundamental part of reading at a post-elementary school level. Apparently, that is a skill still needed by many of those in the arts field, as evidenced by the topic of this thread.

You need to get counseling to get to the root of your prejudice you have against art or social science majors.

Comment

Only if you speed read or have poor reading comprehension skills. Which I guess ties into the original topic of this thread, many people don't know how to properly read.
                        Bull****. Analytical reading looks for themes and concepts behind the mere text. It isn't just, wow that's a fun story. Compare those who read for fun "The Lord of the Rings" and those who have actively analyzed the text, pulling out themes dealing with industrialization (as one example). It's a vastly different enterprise.

Comment

• Don't get mad at me because I consider comprehension to be part of reading at the university level.

Comment

Bull****. Analytical reading looks for themes and concepts behind the mere text. It isn't just, wow that's a fun story.
                            I understand the purpose of analytical reading.

Analytical reading just uses reading, then adds the extra layer of analysis. Analysis comes after you read something. That much is common sense.

Comment

You need to get counseling to get to the root of your prejudice you have against art or social science majors.
                              Amen.

Comment

Don't get mad at me because I consider comprehension to be part of reading at the university level.

I EXPECT reading comprehension to be required at university level -- it was required of me, after all with my history courses.

Comment

Working...
                                X