New study shows college students lack common skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    Aren't you in first year of a military school?

Let's compare a Computer Science thesis to a History thesis.

Which one looks like more work?
    Third actually. It's a military school, but still has a great academic reputation which is why I went to it over West Point and Texas A&M (which has joke arts department). Your examples are silly for the most part...you use the University of Kentucky as the arts example. History is also a weak arts major anyway, pick something like International Studies and it will typically be better.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Okay, so show me a good history thesis.

And show me a good international studies thesis.

I could link virtually any CompSci thesis on here and it would obliterate any essay-style history thesis. From the looks of things, a history thesis is simply a supersized term paper.

I linked to a University of Oslo compsci thesis (which is hardly a famous compsci institution), and a University of Kentucky history thesis because those are the first I found.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Aggie and MrFun, why don't you post your theses.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I linked to a University of Oslo compsci thesis (which is hardly a famous compsci institution), and a University of Kentucky history thesis because those are the first I found.
          Actually, that compsci thesis is from the Royal School of Technology, University of Stockholm.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Whatever, all look same.

Comment

• You're not satisfied with the Danes hating your guts, so you want the Swedes and Norwegians baying for your blood too?
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Asher is bashing history now?

Comment

• Just history undergrads.

Comment

Aggie and MrFun, why don't you post your theses.

Um . . . . . . .

because . . . . . .

I don't want to?

For most part, the only critique I need now as I work on my thesis, is from my advisor.

Not from immature egomaniacs on an online forum who don't know anything about the study of history.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• The quality of one's work should speak for itself. If you don't value my opinion you can dismiss it.

Comment

The quality of one's work should speak for itself. If you don't value my opinion you can dismiss it.

From your arrogant attitude, you wouldn't have anything good to say about anyone's history thesis, no matter how well-written, how thoroughly researched, and no matter how solid the thesis' argument is.

Your opinion, and anyone's opinion on an online forum, concerning something important as my thesis work is concerned, just doesn't matter.

Sorry -- it's not all about you in the real world.

Comment

• Actually I'd like to see Aggie's thesis. It's probably very interesting.

I'm assuming, though, that Mr. Fun's is about something boring like slavery or racism or the Civil War
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Actually I'd like to see Aggie's thesis. It's probably very interesting.

I'm assuming, though, that Mr. Fun's is about something boring like slavery or racism or the Civil War

What is boring about any of those subjects? Racism is a compelling subject, as United States STILL has a hang-up when it comes to race.

Comment

• Has Aggie even told us what his thesis was?

IIRC it has something to do with Plato's masturbation schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
                                What is boring about any of those subjects? Racism is a compelling subject, as United States STILL has a hang-up when it comes to race.
                                Racism is done to death. It's boring.

It is slightly more interesting than Plato, who has been done to death^4.

Comment

Working...
                                X