Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you went back in time to Martin Luther and said...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luther already crossed that bridge, without the need for time travel. He said roughly, "If it is sin, then sin boldly!" That is, he honestly believed he was doing what was necessary for the corruption of the church to end.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

The renaissance and Protestantism is what did the Ottomans/muslims in, and the muslims are still hopelessly fighting against it.
      How?

I would say that what made the ottomas irrelevant and decadent was the discovery of America, the same also happened to the italian city states like Venice which were so important up to that point.

Once you could get the gold and silver in America, and spices by circumnavigating Africa you no longer needed to go to Alexandria, Istambul, or Tripoli to get stuff.
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride

I would say that what made the ottomas irrelevant and decadent was the discovery of America, the same also happened to the italian city states like Venice which were so important up to that point.

Once you could get the gold and silver in America, and spices by circumnavigating Africa you no longer needed to go to Alexandria, Istambul, or Tripoli to get stuff.
        It was two things: the discovery of the Americas, and the ability of the Portuguese (at first) to sail past Cape Bojador and trade directly with sub-Saharan Africa and East Africa, the Safavid Empire, the Moghul Empire and Asia up through the Indonesian archipelago to Japan and China.

The Portuguese destroyed a centuries old trading system when they began creating a territorial and trading empire around the Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf, and were (inadvertently) responsible for the collapse of the African empires which traded across the Sahara to the Maghrebi states in modern day Morocco and Algeria and Egypt.

Venetians were indeed understandably concerned about the Portuguese circumventing their trade routes, but it still took another 200 years for Venice to decline, and throughout this time it was still trading and fighting with the Ottoman Empire- which itself was busily defeating the Mamelukes and engaged in a 'holy war' against the Shi'ite Safavids.

Venice had also (despite being a Christian power) traded with the Fatimids and Mamelukes, importing alum and mordants and gum and carpets, porcelain and so on.

The Ottomans also took a long time to decline, still being able to launch a military strike at Vienna in 1683, nearly 200 years after Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

There is in fact a very interesting 'What If?' essay on the timing of the first Ottoman siege of Vienna in 1529- only 12 years after Luther's theses are nailed to the door. Had Charles V and I not had an Ottoman threat to deal with, who knows what might have happened to Luther ?

I can't recall off-hand if it's in 'What If?' one or two- sorry.

Rent or Buy What If...? - 9780743518604 by Robert Cowley for as low as cheap at eCampus.com. Voted #1 site for Buying Textbooks.

In fact Luther responded to the threat with this:

"On War Against the Turk," Martin Luther exhorted the rulers of Europe to put aside their petty rivalries and unite against the threat posed by Islam. He said that self-defense against the Muslim "abomination," who he called "blasphemers against Christ," was a divinely ordained application of the sword.

Gosh, that sounds quite contemporary...
        Last edited by molly bloom; December 12, 2005, 07:48.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Islam's got theistic unit? That comment made, if not my day, then at least my next several minutes.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

"apparent" theistic unity, LC. Please read the entire phrase as it is accurate as it stands - for what the average Joe Christian cares is that he sees a monolithic block of "Moslems" that is antithetical to the West. He might realize that there is somehow a difference between Sunni and Shiite, but to him they might as well be the same thing. However, he passes ten different Christian denominations on his way to work every morning, most brought about by the Protestant schism, and he thinks "They're more unified and organized than us."

Apparent unity.

Comment

As soon as we get rid of this effing universal suffrage, nobody will need care what the average Joe Christian thinks.

I think old Martin was aware that if you avoid saying anything that might confuse idiots, you can't say anything.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Aah, how sweet.

Wesley Crusher Does Sarcasm, only not terribly well.

Yeah, Kuci, leave the poorly done sarcasm to me
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Well, it was you who mentioned turks and spain in the same sentence.
                  Presumably because the Spanish fought the Turks in North Africa and on the Med time and time again in the 15th century.

Comment

Well,

they were kicked out of spain in 149?, well before Luther even nailed his stuff to the door.
                    Turks were never in Spain. You are talking about Arabs.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

So... that implies that the Reformation was perhaps something in the air, waiting to happen, and that if it weren't Luther, it would've been somebody else. Not Erasmus, he was too much the Establishment Man, the Man in the Grey Flannel Robes. Calvin, maybe?
                      St. Francis holding up the church?

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

how far into that moral abyss would the Catholic Church have continued to sink?? In the end, the whole rotten mess might have collapsed altogether.
                        Luther made the decision to go outside the Catholic church in order to reform, while others made the opposite decision to stay inside. I can't see why things would have gotten worse without Luther.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You're welcome. You do need tips on making your posts a little less dull, and I'm happy to oblige, even if only by providing the examples of others.

God bless you, sir.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

You're welcome. You do need tips on making your posts a little less dull, and I'm happy to oblige, even if only by providing the examples of others.
                            Attached Files
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                            X