No announcement yet.

Greatest genius in history vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My GF is the greatest genius in the history after getting a pass with distinction on her part time 'international peace and security'' masters MA she finished in 1 year, while working two very demanding part time jobs as a pub manager and research associate, so she has a miltary report with her name on the front as well as a dissertation with distinction

sorry, you can go back to what you were talking about before now
    Last edited by Snotty; December 12, 2005, 02:00.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

As breakthroughs in art go, sfumato lags some way behind the earlier developments in perspective. Da Vinci's fame largely revolves around a cult of celebrity, rather than actual analysis of what he did.

He was a great artist and illustrator, but I don't buy the notion of him being some sort of visionary and prophetic uber-brain.
      I have to disagree- certainly with regard to da Vinci's skills as a draughtsman.

Krazyhorse wasn't (or didn't seem to be) making a critique of Leonardo's innovations in art with his comment that he was a 'second-rate' artist.

Not all artists make conceptual breakthroughs such as single or double point perspective, but certainly other artists, da Vinci's peers, did greatly admire his techniques and virtuosity- and some of da Vinci's skill lay in the application of scientific method and observation to the portrayal of disappearing perspective, aerial perspective, the effect of changing perspective on the altered perception of colour and surface texture, and the rigorous examination of perspectival views of aspects of human anatomy.

And if of course Krazy thinks da Vinci was a second rate artist, then I'm sure he could tell us who's a first rate artist and why.

All I'm really doing is building a gibbet for him to hang himself on if he seriously thinks da Vinci was second rate in a Vasari or Utrillo fashion.

Benevenuto Cellini said of da Vinci and Michelangelo's cartoons for the battles of Anghiari and Cascina that they were a :

...scuola del mondo...
      - a school for the world.

This 'Study For The Gradations Of Shadows On A Sphere'
      could be a Paul Klee.

Along with da Vinci's exhortations to pupils and would be artists to free their imaginations by seeking out forms in stains and wood grains and clouds, it's easy to see why he appealed to the Surrealists and other modernists.
      Attached Files
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• I voted for the monkey with complete sincerity.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd
          I voted for the monkey with complete sincerity.

You're too young to be a Reaganite, aren't you ?
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• I vote Jesus Christ.

He invented the table, or so Mel Gibson would have us believe - as the inventor of something we all use in our everyday life, this man was clearly the greatest thinker or all time.

As far as a serious answer goes...I do not know. If measuring by their 'accomplishments' or contributions to society, then who you vote for would depend on whether you backed science or the arts, gave a flying **** about rockets, had an adequate grasp of language to appreciate great writers etc......and as some have said, genius is not necessarily something that can be measured in these ways.

But to be a genius without actually doing anything....well, that's a bit of a cop-out, isn't it? The meth drinker who lives at the end of my street MIGHT have the greatest mind known to man, but I am reluctant to proclaim him a genius without actually seeing some evidence of it.
            Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              What a maroon.
              How so? You don't seem to like being shown that you were wrong. Sorry.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthy
                Neumann
                Jerry
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

How so? You don't seem to like being shown that you were wrong. Sorry.

Sure, kid.

You've demonstrated both ignorance of the subject as well as ignorance of the English language.

But keep on spinning your wheels.

Way to try to slip that one under the radar, though.

Wait three days and then post a comment which still neatly avoids the question of what bias you think I have in order to save some face.

That's class.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Karl Marx.

And I am by no means a Marxist.
                    Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Sure, kid.
                      You must be proud of your ignorance. A simple check will show that I'm almost twice your age (or three times the age you're acting).

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Way to try to slip that one under the radar, though.

Wait three days and then post a comment which still neatly avoids the question of what bias you think I have in order to save some face.

That's class.
                      Thank-you, oh clueless one. I post while I'm at work and I just happened to be off those days. What a class act.

I see that further discussion will be fruitless. I will henceforth blocking your ID until you grow up. Good luck with that.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

• Making my way onto ignore lists one foo' at a time.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I think that the guy who first discovered sex is at least worthy of consideration...
                          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Um... Adam?
                            Smile
                            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Um... Adam?
                              Dude was seriously hardcore
                              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue
                                Um... Adam?
                                After eating the apple.

Comment

Working...
                                X