Greatest genius in history vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vince278

We do. Some people are still biased towards their favorites for whatever reason.
    You don't know enough about the subject to tell me who the greatest physicist of all time is.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You don't know enough about the subject to tell me who the greatest physicist of all time is.

Says the man who opined of da Vinci:

He was a daydreamer with virtually no redeeming characteristics.
      Mr. Potty decries the achromatic qualities of Mr. Kettley.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Da Vinci was a second rate artist and a fourth rate inventor...
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Da Vinci was a second rate artist

And you :

know enough about the subject to tell me
          that, do you ?

I must have missed your incisive analysis of the use of sfumato in the works of da Vinci, and his purported lack of grasp of contrapposto and chiaroscuro in comparison with, say, Correggio and Michelangelo.

Or is you jes' doin' this for sh!tz 'n' giggles, you Kuddly Kanucklehead, you ?
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Please, try telling us how you know that I don't know enough about the subject.
            You're doing a fair enough job of proving my point on bias.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

No-one thinks Confucius or any other Asian thinker was a genius? A bit surprising, but perhaps at the same time a manifestation of the under representation of the Asians at this board.
              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

The current consensus is that Confucious was actually several Chinese writers over a period of centuries.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Please, try telling us how you know that I don't know enough about the subject.
                  Because you claimed that the answer was obvious. I don't really care who you think that obvious answer is; your assertion is wrong.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Because you claimed that the answer was obvious. I don't really care who you think that obvious answer is; your assertion is wrong.
                    Still sounds biased. No matter. Perhaps the debate as a whole would benefit if everyone can agree on what defines "genius".
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Still sounds biased
                      What the **** are you on? Biased toward or away from what.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• you are biased towards smart people...

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• That remains to be seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            What the **** are you on? Biased toward or away from what.
                            Bias: a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

That you disagree with something does not automatically make it wrong.

Comment

• Ben Franklin should be on the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom

I must have missed your incisive analysis of the use of sfumato in the works of da Vinci, and his purported lack of grasp of contrapposto and chiaroscuro in comparison with, say, Correggio and Michelangelo.
                                As breakthroughs in art go, sfumato lags some way behind the earlier developments in perspective. Da Vinci's fame largely revolves around a cult of celebrity, rather than actual analysis of what he did.

He was a great artist and illustrator, but I don't buy the notion of him being some sort of visionary and prophetic uber-brain.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X