Greatest genius in history vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straybow
    No, it was that the Nobel for the year he published it was given to someone else. They later gave him the Nobel for his current work (photoelectric effect) because they can't award for past work. But everybody new it was really for relativity.
    lol

nobel prizes (almost) always get awarded for things done decades before the prize

they are always done for past work, the award winner just has to be living...

also, the photoelectric effect work of Einsteins was done in his amazing year, 1905, which is (roughly) a decade before general relativity

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Each committee interprets the rules their own way. Typically they name the current work as a "contribution to xxx" but everyone knows that some earlier work was more important but overlooked at the time. Sometimes they mention the earlier work as that from which the awarded work sprang.

Heisenberg was awarded "for the creation of quantum mechanics, the application of which has, inter alia, led to the discovery of the allotropic forms of hydrogen" but we know that allotropic forms of hydrogen are kinda insignificant compared to QM.

Crick and Watson were not working together in 1962 when they shared the Nobel with Maurice Wilkins. The Nobel committee cites specific work in x-ray diffraction of organic molecules in 1961-2 for Wilkins but not for Crick or Watson.

Nobels are not awarded posthumously. There was another partner with Crick and Watson doing x-ray diffraction studies on DNA, but she died before 1962.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Hmmm, yeah, who knows what they were thinking for Einstein's award.

Politics.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

his 4 papers in 1905 were all very impressive, nobel award winning stuff

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

it has been said about GR that 10 years after Einstien introduced it, only 3 people (including Einstien) understood it...

so it makes sense that they didn't give him the award for GR (he had done some impressive work well before, deserving of a Nobel, and so they gave him one (independent of GR))

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
              No, it was that the Nobel for the year he published it was given to someone else. They later gave him the Nobel for his current work (photoelectric effect) because they can't award for past work. But everybody new it was really for relativity.
              The photoelectric effect was published the same damn year as special relativity.

Get a clue.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

SR

GR

(physics idiot)

Comment

Yes you are.

General relativity is a robust, elegant theory. I don't see your problem with it.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

this is suppose to be the year to celebrate Einstien's golden year (1905)

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

It is celebrated that in Germany

Comment

For me, it was a fight between Darwin and Newton. Both were consummate scientists and stunningly excellent practitioners of scientific method with equally profound discoveries and effects upon modern life. That's not to say that any other of the others were somehow lesser.... I think it's a fallacy to say that one genius can be "greater" than another, it's a minefield to even work out the paramaters for such a determination.

I can only answer for myself in that case, and the influence any given character from history has on myself. I could then have quite happily said Leonardo da Vinci, but then what of the likes of Archimedes, Shakespeare, or the likes of Melville or Poe?

I'm a scientific person, so it's really hard to decide between Newton and Darwin. It boils down then to which one would I rather associate with, and it would most likely be Darwin, since Newton was a bastard.
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Oh yes, the reason why it's not a three way fight between Darwin, Newton and Einstein? I just can't bring myself to forgive Einstein's a posteriori inclusion of his "cosmological constant"
                          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

NUEMANN!112two

Comment

Da Vinci is possibly the single most overrated human being of all time.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

How foten must I repeat myself, the most overrated mustest be teh Einstien

Comment

Working...
                                X