No announcement yet.

Greatest genius in history vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do think we should quantify what we mean by a "genius." IMHO, a genius is someone whose brain is so fine-tuned that he can look at a simple, multiple variable problem with constraints and perform, nearly instantaneously, numerous logical transformations to solve it. In this definition, the scope, quality and quantity of one's overall work is more important than the actual influence of individual ideas. By this definition the list above should be amended as follows:
    Strike Aristotle, Napoleon, Jesus (not to be sacriligeous, but being omniscient excludes Him from this poll), Darwin, Plato, Shakespeare and Tesla,
    Keep Einstein (with reservations, his rejection of quantum indeterminacy is glaring), Mozart, Newton and Da Vinci (benefit of the doubt),
    Add J.S. Bach, Orlando di Lassus, C.F. Gauss, Leonhard Euler, Archimedes, J.C. Maxwell, Niels Bohr, Bertrand Russell, Richard Feynman and John Neumann.

From my list, I am torn between Bach, Euler and Maxwell.
    "If you are not confused by quantum physics, then you haven't really understood it." -Niels Bohr
    "The true test of your character is what it takes to stop you." -Dr. Bob Jones Sr.

Comment

• I agree with most of your list but I would also add Steven Hawking.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• is smart.. but not the greatest ever (most physicists don't consider him the smartest phycisist alive today, and that doesn't include the great ones of the past)

JM
        Last edited by Jon Miller; December 11, 2005, 06:10.
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• if you want to add a current phycisist, add Ed Witten

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I also like Brian Greene and Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (but that may be a personal bias).
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• (own goal protection on)

KH was refering to the fact that pretty much everybody who don't really know much about physics, but is impressed by it, think that Hawking is the greatest physicist ever

and that most physicists don't agree... (I have to listen to other physicists about many things, as cosmology (And string theory) are areas I know little of, but I generally form my own conclusions about areas I know some about, and listen to others about areas I know little of)

now I do know something of quantum mechanics (And field theory), and classical mechanics

and so I know that Newton was very smart, as was Feynman (and can't forget Fermi, and Dirac)..

I also know some of condensed matter theory, and would say that Landau was incredibly smart also

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Bias: a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

That you disagree with something does not automatically make it wrong.
                What a maroon.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• err, sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Krazyhorse:

"He's more intelligent than me and wasn't a physicist"

I wonder if a tranquiliser dart would suffice to shut someone up, being so insecure about the potency of his own intellect he would compare one of history's greatest thinkers to a kid with a crayon
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Who are you quoting?
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Neumann

Comment

• *ahem* And where am I on this list?
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• You are the last on the list, if you want.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthy
                              Neumann
                              Paul? The man behind salad dressing?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Nice troll thread
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X