No announcement yet.

Greatest genius in history vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've considered da Vinci to be the greatest genius in history for a long time, but what's up with the list? Napoleon? OK, a conqueror, and so what? Darwin? A theory that is still disputed very widely, is of little actual consequence thus far and not proven. Meh. Jesus? Are you serious? How can he be a genius? It's not like he founded Christianity or told people to consider him a god. The people who wrote the New Testament, spread word of it and basically made PR for Jesus are geniuses, yes.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I Don't even see how Darwin is on this poll

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Da Vinci wasn't a math genius but he was a conceptual genius. He did toy with some concepts that are both artistic and mathematical: the Golden Ratio, the shape of the nautilus, etc. We know that probably half or more of his writings, sketches, and whatnot are lost.

I saw a show where a historian and an engineer got together and built his glider. They found notes and little side sketches that showed da Vinci understood that the cross section of the wing was what enabled flight, and the details of how to shape the cloth over the wing frame to mimic the shape.

He also had ropes connecting the pilot's harness to points on the wing to warp it for control. Both of these fundamental elements they found worked perfectly just as Leo drew them.

The only change they made was turning da Vinci's standing frame for the pilot upside down so that it resembled a control frame of a hang glider.

In just three days of testing (iirc) they were able to achieve controlled flight higher and farther then the Wright brother's Kitty Hawk flight. With refinements it could do as well as a conventional hang glider.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          I Don't even see how Darwin is on this poll
          He was nominated by more than one person in mitch's thread. Plus it was a groundbreaking theory, with a huge effect on the way people thought. Anything someone does that's still taught to 12 year olds almost 200 years later is pretty impressive.

Napoleon's on there because he was an amazingly successful conqueor, who often won with inferior troops and numbers. His strategy meant France won a lot of battles they shouldn't have. Plus, AFAIK, he was rumoured at the time to be something of the genius. I don't think genius is purely about what you do - a genius who does nothing is still a genius, if they're that clever.

The poll is to give a rounded view - there are people from science, the arts, philosophy, national leaders and inventors/all rounders. Plus they're just the people who were nominated more than once in mitch's threads (plus Shakespeare, as we were missing anyone literary).

Who else should be on there? You may argue with who's there, but only one option hasn't got a vote yet, and that person was one of the more nominated people on the thread before. People are on there to give a different perspective on what genius is. However I will admit I may have missed out many possibles.
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow

I saw a show where a historian and an engineer got together and built his glider. They found notes and little side sketches that showed da Vinci understood that the cross section of the wing was what enabled flight
            ....while his "helicopter" demonstrates that his grasp of the subject was massively flawed. Additionally, his "parachute" was potentially lethal because of his failure to include a venting hole. His "ornithopter" is really quite funny.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Da Vinci drew a bunch of **** like the stuff I used to doodle in elementary school.

He was a daydreamer with virtually no redeeming characteristics.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Newton and Einstein are far and away the most brilliant people up there.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

says the physicist.

Comment

I think we pretty much know who the top physicist is. Who would be the top mathematician? Biologist? Chemist? (May as well go and do a "Best Of the Nobels" or some such)
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

No votes: Mozart. Listening to his Haffner Serenade atm. A genius, beyond doubt. But the greatest? I can't even say he was the greatest genius of his field.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                        I think we pretty much know who the top physicist is.
                        No you don't
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
                          says the physicist.
                          It's not our fault we're smarter than everybody else.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I voted for Aristotle, though if Goethe were on the poll I'd have to sit down and think 'er over.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              No you don't
                              We do. Some people are still biased towards their favorites for whatever reason.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

He was a daydreamer with virtually no redeeming characteristics.
                                Apparently he was quite good with a paintbrush, pen and ink and a pencil....

His anatomical drawings are still providing inspiration to physicians even today...

Mr Francis Wells from Papworth Hospital, Cambridge, says Leonardo's observations of the way the heart valves open and close was revelatory.

Mr Wells has used this understanding to modify current repair operations, and has successfully treated 80 patients.

The drawings allowed him to work out how to restore normal opening and closing function of the mitral valve, one of the four valves in the heart.

Until now, surgeons have repaired a floppy valve by narrowing its diameter. However, this can restrict the blood flow further when the individual is exercising and working their heart to the maximum.

Mr Wells said: "It's a complete rethink of the way we do the mitral valve operation.

"What Leonardo was saying about the shape of the valve is important. It means that we can repair this valve in a better way."
                                BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Not bad for a Daydream Believer...
                                Attached Files
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X