Is this right or wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confess your sins = Lose your job.
    What message does this send to the young women in the school?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Its right for a Catholic school to be able to determine that its teachers not embody things that they are saying is wrong (ie, sex before marriage).

And they are a private school and are not firing someone based on race or gender (no matter what the ACLU says, this REALLY streaches the 'discrimination based on gender' idea). A lot of relgious jobs have a morals clause and this is no different.

For example, if this woman was a nun and she became pregnant, would people really be mad if the nunnery said get out?
      Being a teacher isn't a relgious job no matter what kind of school it is.

The example with the nun is far out - being a nun isn't a profession as such - it's more a membership of a rather special club.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Since it's not a public school, nothing wrong. The parents (whose best interests the principal represents) have a right to decide what kind of teachers educate their children in a private school.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          Well, it's not something she would have been able to keep hidden for long...
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            Denial is the Catholic way.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Imran,

I'm guessing it's breach of contract? Surely a Catholic school would have this type of thing covered when employing people?

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                Imran,

I'm guessing it's breach of contract? Surely a Catholic school would have this type of thing covered when employing people?

Such a contract would be illegal here - I guess that it will too in US.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I believe the standard Catholic practice is have employees sign that they'll live by Catholic moral standards. That would include not becoming unmarriedly pregnant.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    I believe the standard Catholic practice is have employees sign that they'll live by Catholic moral standards.
                    I agree, surely thats a fundamental requirement for a Catholic school teacher?

Comment

As I said - such a demand would be illegal - some private danish schools has their asses burned currently because they tried to filter out homsexual teachers when hiring.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Thats why I'm asking Imran (a Yank who's passed the bar exam) rather than a random Danish bloke.

Comment

I don't know whether a such demand would pass here, but given a recent case in which the judges found that refusing to hire short people (under 163cm) for positions that posed much greater health hazards to shorties than to taller folks was gender discrimination, I'd not be optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                            Thats why I'm asking Imran (a Yank who's passed the bar exam) rather than a random Danish bloke.

I'm just as curious as you what Imran will say - I just told about how we do things wich probably differs when we talk religious matters

Steven Weinberg

Comment

she, apparently, wasn't using a condom per church policy and wasn't going to have an abortion per church policy.
                              And I suppose she had sex with her husband as per church policy also.

Private organisations are allowed to maintain their standards, particularly regarding situations like this one. If we believe that the Catholic church should sack priests who violate their vows, why should they treat their other employees any differently?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                Atleast the ACLU has taken her case and has agreed to sue the **** out of the school for breaking New York state law.
                                ACLU violating its own stated goals

Freedom of religion and freedom of association

Comment

Working...
                                X