X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dems?
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• Part of the problem for the west is the fact that we fall under the Liberals "seperate and divide" tactics. So we lash back at the East, whom we see as the ones who put the Liberals in power. The Liberals are very good at this tactic as it is what keeps them in power, and thats all the current batch of Libs are about, staying in power. They will promise everything and anything to accomplish this.
      What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

• Is this thread still going?

Look - the gov't fell, fell real good, and it can't get up again.

God, what a nightmare.

Looks like a battle between disgraced former cabinet minister Hedy Frey and disgraced shoplifter Sven Robinson in my riding. Hopefully the Greens or Tories will put up someone decent.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFred

Look - the gov't fell, fell real good, and it can't get up again.
          Unfortunately, a Liberal minority government probably can get up again.

If I could choose, I would choose a Conservative minority. Then Harper can tell the far-right that their values agenda is just not possible in a minority situation and can focus on the economy and trying to bring good government.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• My hope is that the Liberals are soundly defeated. Seems like over time a government, any government, gets progressively more corrupt. So its good to clean house once and a while.

But of course I realise that this is a unlikely scenario.

Comment

• RedFred, here's the Conservative candidate for Vancouver Centre.

A lawyer and geologist, Tony is a graduate of the University of British Columbia and the London School of Economics and Political Science.

In addition to his law practice with the Vancouver firm of Clark Wilson LLP, Tony was also an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia for 5 years, (and was legal counsel to the University).

Prior to becoming a lawyer, Tony's work as a geologist found him traveling around the world where he worked with major energy companies. In addition, Tony was a technical advisor to Hon. David Anderson on the Commission of Inquiry into Fraser Valley Petroleum Exploration which reviewed environmental and technical issues associated with proposed natural gas exploration and storage in Greater Vancouver.

Today, Tony's law practice includes energy, mining, aboriginal affairs, the environment and intellectual property law. He also advises public and private universities, colleges and institutes on legal matters involving higher learning.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• lol he doesn't have a hope of winning LOL
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Harper's campaign of promising tax cut after tax cut is getting boring quick...

He'd better come up with a new schtick.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Harper is dictating this campaign so much that folks are getting bored with his offerings.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• What the **** does that mean?
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Code:
                      Vancouver Centre 

H Fry **   LIB  21280   40.3  
                      K Stewart  NDP 	17050 	32.3 	  	 
                      G Mitchell  CONS 10139 	19.2

Comment

• You can't say anything bad about his program other then that it is boring.

Comment

• Sure I can.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Nevermind what KH might say is wrong with Tory plans. Apparently, senior Liberals don't think that parents can be trusted to look after thier kids.

Then the PM has to come out and say that Harper's plan would be a benefit for families.

Senior Grit staffer apologizes for 'beer' gaffe
                            CTV.ca News Staff

A senior Liberal staffer uttered his party's first major gaffe of the campaign.

In a television interview Sunday, Scott Reid, Prime Minister Paul Martin's director of communications, criticized the Conservative Party's plan to give parents $1,200 per year for each child under six.

Reid said in part: "Don't give people $25 a day to blow on beer and popcorn."

Later, on CTV's Question Period, Liberal spokesman John Duffy said he stood behind Reid's statement, saying, with the Conservative plan, "there is nothing to stop people from spending it on beer or popcorn or a coat or a car, anything."

Reid later sent an email to reporters apologizing for his remarks. "It was a dumb way to make my point and I apologize because obviously, no responsible parent would make that choice. The point remains that Mr. Harper offers a tax cut, not a child care plan."

He said the context of his remarks were that they occurred during a spirited conversation and that the full remarks were: "We are not trying to take people's time away from their grandparents but working families need care. They need care that is regulated, safe and secure and that's what we're building here. Don't give people $25 a day to blow on beer and popcorn. Give them child care spaces that work."

In a news release, the Conservatives asked: "Does Paul Martin also stand by the views of his senior-most campaign officials -- that parents would choose 'beer and popcorn' over quality care for their children?"

When questioned by reporters during a winery tour in Beamsville, Ont., Martin said, "Scott's already apologized, but what the Conservatives are saying is we'll cut you a cheque."

He went on to say: "There's no doubt in my mind that parents are going to use it for the benefit of their families. They're going to use that money in a way that I'm sure is responsible. Let there be no doubt about that.''

The Liberal childcare plan calls for deals with the provinces to increase the numbers of publicly-run daycare spaces.

Critics of the Liberal plan say it doesn't help stay-at-home parents.

Other election news

NDP Leader Jack Layton signed the Workers' Bill of Rights in Ottawa on Sunday. The document supports the right of employees to join unions. Layton is the first party leader to back the bill.

New Brunswick Premier Bernard Lord told CTV's Question Period he's tired of the Liberal claim that only they can save Canada from the threat of Quebec separatism. He said framing this campaign as a referendum election is dangerous because of the Bloc Quebecois' apparent strength.

In a visit to Gatineau, Que., Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe complained the Quebec side of the National Capital Region doesn't get its share of the jobs.

"Same thing with research centres. There's 31 in the federal capital area and only one on this side of the river," he said.

Duceppe said his party hopes to win three seats away from the Liberals in the region.

In Edmonton, Green Party Leader Jim Harris said more than 12,000 people have signed his party's online petition calling for him to be included in the televised leaders' debates set for later this week.

He also attacked Alberta Premier Ralph Klein on the issue of private health care.

"What we're concerned about is the privatization of our health-care system," Harris said. "The privatization of long-term care for elderly is resulting in lower standards, or standards not being met for our senior citizens.

"Alberta is one of a growing number of provinces that use subcontractors for long-term care of seniors. That is something we in the Green party believe will only increase the cost of services while actually limiting access to those who are most in need."

New polling numbers

Political party support is hovering in the same basic range it was in pre-election polling, the latest tracking poll from The Strategic Council shows.

Asked which candidate in their area people would vote for if the election were held tomorrow, the poll of 1,500 people nationwide found:

Liberals: 35 per cent (no change)
                            Conservatives: 29 per cent (-1)
                            NDP: 15 per cent (-2)
                            Bloc Quebecois: 14 per cent (no change)
                            Green Party: 6 per cent (+1)
                            These latest figures were gathered between Dec. 7 and Dec. 10. The margin of error is plus or minus 2.5 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

They are compared with results of 1,500 people polled nationwide between Nov. 24 and Nov. 27.

Any movement in numbers over the campaign's course to date has been within the margin of error.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• "Scott's already apologized, but what the Conservatives are saying is we'll cut you a cheque."

Yes, Mr. Martin. Cut a cheque to parents to help look after their own kids, not governments to wharehouse other peoples kids.

You're so going down!
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Ben.

I won't make any decision on who to vote for until I go to an all-candidates meeting. I typically place more emphasis on the candidate than most people.

Comment

Working...
                                X