Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What other nation's culture do you admire the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor

I greatly appreciate the Swedish collective mentalities, but I don't think it qualifies as "culture" as per the meaning of this thread.
    Care to elaborate on this? I'm not really sure of what you mean and it got me curious.
    It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Ancient Persia

Comment

This is where I steal Ted Striker's pic.

USA Heck I like them better then canadian 'culture'.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Not sure "admire" is the right words I'm going to use, but "interesting":

Italian, British, French, German, Indian, Iranian/Persian, Egyptian
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Cheers, Spiffor!

I like most of post revolutionary French culture a lot, probably the most besides 1st half of 20th century Hebrew Zionism, which I myself adhere to.

Other cultures are the ancient Romans, the Spartans, the ancient Persians, Canaanites and ancient Hebrews - which brings my point - just culture ain't enough - you have to mention the timeframe.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Finland.

Comment

Suomi
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Gotta admire a nation that considers knifing people in the throat to be "youthful high spirits".
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

True

Comment

Originally posted by Footie Mad
                      Care to elaborate on this? I'm not really sure of what you mean and it got me curious.
                      My strongest impression, when I visited Sweden, was that people were very open to the other. Not "open" like Mediterraneans (who tend to easily speak and offer a drink to strangers), but "open" in the meaning that there was no distrust toward complete strangers. People seemed to simply think about the others, and it gave me a general impression that everybody had the general interest in mind, which resulted in everybody being actually better off.

It's completely different with a great many mindsets, where the individuals only think about themselves, fend only for themselves, and say that the others can go **** themselves. In such societies, the one who takes the others' interest into account is the sucker. And everybody is worse off.

Practically, for me as a tourist, this Swedish mentality meant that I only encoutered helpful people, who sometimes even wasted some time to help my clueless tourist self. It meant that the cities were cripple-friendly. It meant that I didn't feel threatened by crime at any time in any place. It meant that there were good wares in the campings' collective areas, that people didn't expect to get stolen.

That's a huge to me. If I ever wanted to spend my life in a foreign country, I'd want to live in Sweden for that.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                        Finland.
                        Absolutely, Finland is tops.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

WHAT THE????

What is that green thing they are holding???

Comment

Spiffor, I admire that too

I think it goes under "social capital" in literature. It's very important in my opinion. Societies in which people trust each other and cooperate without coercion can go far IMO.

The only thing is, to have such a society it has to be fairly homogenous. People tend to distrust other races, ethnicities and religions.

Comment

When I have travelled to other countries, I have often refused hospitality because I felt like I needed to protect myself. Here in USA if someone you don't know is being nice to you, usually you feel like they want something or want to take advantage of you. So the general reaction is to close up. We pretty much do that with everything.

It's the now famous society of fear that has been talked about over the past 5 years.

September 11th really brought that underlying "feature" to the surface.

Comment

You live in a big city. Maybe the small city and the countryside is different?

Comment

Working...
                                X