Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance that we will someday see a "Big 10/ACC Challenge" sort of event in College Football?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
      Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's philosophy when ranking teams? My primary consideration is what I think would happen when two teams play, but I also try to consider the teams' season as a whole (and thus I have Oregon in my Top 10, despite my earlier statement re: Wisconsin, Michigan).
      My primary consideration is how I have seen the teams play in big games under pressure and adversity.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
        They were unlucky in that. Who would've predicted that Pitt, Purdue and Tennesee would all be so bad this year?
        I agree. To put it into perspective, however, ND still had the 20th toughest schedule (both wins and losses) in college football. We're just used to seeing ND have one of the toughest schedules. Next year, I expect that ND will have the toughest schedule.

I am also inclined to cut the Purdues of the world some slack this year. They went 5-6. But they also had the 6th toughest schedule in the country with which to contend.
        Last edited by DanS; November 30, 2005, 15:04.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's philosophy when ranking teams? My primary consideration is what I think would happen when two teams play, but I also try to consider the teams' season as a whole (and thus I have Oregon in my Top 10, despite my earlier statement re: Wisconsin, Michigan).
          Mine is similar to Drake and Imran's in that I consider the entire season. I weigh quality wins a good bit heavier than "quality" losses. I'm a bit hypocritical with that, in that I'll let a close game that shouldn't have been hurt the favorite without letting it really help the underdog who kept it close, but I'm okay with that hypocrisy.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• From steroids... to this?

Congress calls hearing on Bowl Championship Series

Somehow I find it difficult to agree with this, as much as I agree with their position. With the steroids issue, there was (at least) a serious criminal issue at stake - since this doesn't seem to be motivated by antitrust statutes - and it was ultimately affecting more than one sports body, not specifically targeted towards one entity.

If this is an antitrust thing, it's not really up to Congress to stick its nose in - it's up to the schools or the DOJ to file suit against the NCAA and let the facts play out.
            CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
            Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
            Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
            Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• HA HA! Congress is stupid!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Here's the scariest part of the article:

"College football is not just an exhilarating sport, but a billion-dollar business that Congress cannot ignore," said committee Chairman Joe Barton, a Texas Republican.
                Please, please, please, Congress, stick to meaningful issues like defending the honor of the Christmas tree against the heathen holiday tree forces and leave college football alone. I'm begging here.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• Some picks for today:

USC by a little (<10)
                  Texas by a lot (>20)
                  Georgia in a squeaker (<7)
                  Virginia Tech by surprisingly few (<7)

Comment

• My picks:

USC on a last-minute touchdown
                    Texas destroys Colorado (>25)
                    LSU on a late field goal
                    Virginia Tech by 17
                    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• USC by 21
                      Texas by 28
                      Georgia in a squeaker (I don't think either team is very good; could go either way)
                      Florida State in a squeaker (Hey, I have to choose one huge upset! Fla State seems to accumulate upsets and I think VaTech is overrated)
                      Last edited by DanS; December 3, 2005, 11:06.

Comment

• I'm looking forward to USC - UCLA. Should be a good game. Olson should keep them in the game until the second half (a really efficient QB). Bush should rush for a bundle, 150 - 200 yards.

Comment

• hey i'm going to watch the ACC championship game tonight, I'll probably post some pix...

Go Hokies!!!

Comment

• 5 minutes into the second half:

Texas 63
                            Colorado 3

Comment

• Why did Texas run up the score? It shows no class.

Comment

• They could barely help it. Colorado keeps turning it over deep in their own territory or having kicks blocked.

Comment

Working...
                                X