No announcement yet.

Immigrant Riots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start another thread about the revolution, comrade. I can thereby ignore what you have to say. Please don't pollute this thread with irrelevancies.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

I consider that an immigration issue, at least as far as this discussion goes (a comparative discussion between the US and Europe). As far as I know, those two communities are largely first generation or second generation immigrants?
      So if they had come over in the 30s rather than the 50s that would make all the difference, eh?
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Did they really come over in the 50s? I had imagined they came over in more like the 80s or something. I guess it really depends on the country and the riots.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's widely asserted that America is better at integration of immigrants than is Europe. That's probably a bigger reason than the threat of deportation.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Most West Indians came over after the war to fill labour shortages.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

So if they had come over in the 30s rather than the 50s that would make all the difference, eh?

It's quite funny that DanS are blaming Odin for irrelevancy and at the same time make such claims
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                It's widely asserted that America is better at integration of immigrants than is Europe. That's probably a bigger reason than the threat of deportation.
                If that is true, it's a rather new thing. Irish immigrants burned down New York City in the 1860s after all.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

It's quite funny that DanS are blaming Odin for irrelevancy and at the same time make such claims
                  I think you must be mistaking me with Park Avenue or something. I'm fact-finding here based upon an observation.

Comment

I think you must be mistaking me with Park Avenue or something. I'm fact-finding here based upon an observation.
                    Well, you claim that some gang crime is based upon first generation immigration and saying that immigrants in europe is more prone to rioting than american immigrants

The main bulk of immigrants in euorope is quite peacefull, but just as in california, certain events may trigger violence wether they are first or fifth generation.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

and saying that immigrants in europe is more prone to rioting than american immigrants
                      I consider this a plain fact and was wondering the reasons for it. The dolphin added some info that made it clear that its somewhat more nuanced, which I appreciate.

Comment

If that is true, it's a rather new thing. Irish immigrants burned down New York City in the 1860s after all.
                        That's just the Irish having a good time.

Comment

You forgot to mention why they did it - they didn't want to be conscripts in the army

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The reasons might be the same, but the attributes are different. For instance, the threat of deportation.
                            If they are not citizens and they commit crimes while rioting then they should be deported. Immigration is not a right. If people are good and law abiding then they should be allowed to immigrate; it all just depends on if they'll improve the nation or harm the nation with their presence.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, the rioters in France are pretty much all French citizens, and few if any countries still deport citizens.

As for the Irish burning down NYC in 1860, what European country had a significant immigrant population back then? I can't offhand think of any.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

There were plenty of immigrants back then, but rather of the intra-European kind. Flemish moved to Wallonia or France, and Germans moved to Belgium for instance.
                                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                                X