Rape victim: 'Morning after' pill denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-12-30-oppose_x.htm
    There's one article highlighting the risks of strokes and heart conditions and why these folks are warned off of using the morning after pill.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• And exactly what textbooks are you talking about?

Conception does not equal pregnancy. Most fertilized eggs never implant in the uterus to begin with.
      Medical textbooks, that start pregnancy with the fertilisation of the egg by sperm, producing the zygote. There is no such thing as a fertilised egg, since sperm and egg cease to exist at conception. What you have once they combine, is a zygote, a single cell with the combined dna of the mother and the father.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• It prevents the fertilized ovum from implanting in the uterus, which usually happens around 72 hours after fertilization, but could happen sooner.
        Is an embryo the same as a 'fertilised ovum?' By the time of implantation, you progress from a zygote, to an embryo as cell division begins.

Comment

• So now expecting people to actually do the job they claim they are doing is pushing morality on people? These people aren't forced to be pharmacists but if they want to be one then they need to do the whole job.
          And forcing a Catholic to act against their conscience is not 'forcing your beliefs on someone?'

Comment

• Ben Kenobi Come off that dam catholic soap box and read what the hell the topic is. You have once again managed to drag up crap that is in no response to the topic at hand. And just for the record the topic here isnt abortion.
            Mrs. Tuberski:

And the sex of the debators is relevant to the debate at hand?

If you consider that the unborn child is a person from conception onwards, then the morning after pill is just an earlier form of abortion. Same result, different timing.

You are also assuming that pregnancy does not begin until implantation, which is very relevant to the debate, and the question that I asked earlier of guynemer.

Comment

• My main point was to stress that if the pharamcist can not perform his duties he need not do his profession any longer. I for one as a nurse dont have the choice of patients i have to treat. Whether i agree with the choice they make or not.
              Mrs. Tuberski:

Very true, and an excellent point. However, aren't Catholic nurses permitted to decline assisting abortions and still perform their job competently? Why should professionals like pharmacists, be treated differently from other professionals like nurses?

Comment

• (note - this was actually supposed to be posted two hours ago and something went wrong - just for some context here)

Well, it's only my third page. I didn't have time to properly respond before today. Patroklos - I was not sure why you chose Camden County, but it's small, less than 50,000 people. And the ramble, as you so cutely put it, was to prevent you, or Imran, from nitpicking the facts to death. I have cites for every damn number in my proposition. You and Imran don't. Simple. Facts.

Now I will admit to using the State of Nebraska. I seriously doubt it is going to be all that different from your one example, especially not by over 10%. Given what you do for the Navy - you've got to have some basic understanding of statistics. My point is, which Kuciwalker seems to understand, and you don't (yet you have responed to Kuciwalker as though you believe he is a moron for not admitting your points), is that the exhaustive (or rambling if you don't like the conclusion) post utterly refutes your claim there is no need for it in Camden County.

It also refutes Imran's claims that there is never a medical necessity for this drug. Now one of our resident physicians could post all the other factors, besides diabetes, that would cause a woman to hestitate to become pregnant due to risk to her health. I chose diabetes because I have some passing familiarity with it (I didn't even go into the risk of heart damage, the problems with the increase in weight, etc. - pre-existing diabetes and pregnancy are NOT a good combination). I also showed, let's see - rate of diabetes per 1000, rate of rapes per 1000, age demographics of rapes, and prior use of birth control in women of child bearing age in general. Oops, don't let some facts confuse the issue. The risk to the mother bit is certainly germane - SCOTUS has every time struck down abortion limiting laws every time that they do not permit that exception. So it could have an impact depending on the new justices in the court, and if they are willing to be consistant with precendent.

And reference Mrs. Tuberski - I guarantee you given the rates of rape in this country that she has some friends, my guess is multiple friends, who have been raped. I'll bet one month of my avatar on it. Living in Texas and hearing the religious right and male legislators pontificate has more than likely caused her to overreact - or maybe simply react - and when she realized she did, she may have been less than graceful. At least she was trying to back down, instead of devolving to personal attacks, like some of our right and left posters do.
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

There's one article highlighting the risks of strokes and heart conditions and why these folks are warned off of using the morning after pill.
                  Nope. That is a very biased article made by a person that is strongly against this pill and doesn't give any evidence of any risks.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• That is a very biased article made by a person that is strongly against this pill and doesn't give any evidence of any risks.
                    How many more articles would you like me to cite before you will be satisfied?

Comment

And forcing a Catholic to act against their conscience is not 'forcing your beliefs on someone?'
                      I don't think that any chatolics are forced to be pharmacists, but whenthe choose to be that, then they also accepts that they have to give out drugs without question. If that is against their belief, then their only option is to quit the job - not force their belif upon others.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

How many more articles would you like me to cite before you will be satisfied?
                        What about some with scientific documentation ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• also accepts that they have to give out drugs without question.
                          Is that true? Why do they need a degree then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            Dude, you're a chick?
                            I have a new sig

Comment

• My idea too.
                              Lime roots and treachery!
                              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Due to the risk of serious health problems, women with the following conditions may not be able to use Emergency Contraception:

Established pregnancy
                                Past heart attack or stroke
                                Blood clots in the legs or lungs
                                Breast or genital cancers
                                Liver cancer
                                If anything, this site is biased against me.

Comment

Working...
                                X