MLB World Series Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB World Series Thread

The White Sox win the pennant! The White Sox win the pennant! It was the Red Sox last year, can it be the White Sox this year?! How amazing would that be?

And Houston has taken a 3-1 lead over St. Louis in the NLCS. Not saying that it can't happen differently (look at last year ), but it looks like the Astros will meet the White Sox this year.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Congrats to the White Sox. The spirit upholding the Black Sox curse should rest in peace and allow the good people of Chicago to enjoy their baseball again.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

My mom has vivid memories of the last time the White Sox won the pennant. Apparently, the Fire Commisioner was an ardent White Sox fan (most of Richard Daley's leiutenant's were South-Siders, like Daley himself) and, to celebrate, sounded all of the cities air-raid sirens...at the height of the Cold War. Scared the bejeezus out of a bunch of Northsiders and non-baseball fans, apparently.

Of course, that may have been the point.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

w00t!!
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Go soxs!

South side pride

Death to the accursed Angels

I would prefer a St. Louis/Chicago WS, but I really don't give a **** about the NL, so heres to the World Series being won by the Sox's!

(Thus making he Cubs trully the most pathetic team in baseball)
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The only team out of the final four that looked out of place is now out. It's going to be a tremendous series regardless of whether it's the Astros or the Cardinals that make the trip to the South Side, but I'm glad to see it most likely will be Houston, as they're a closer matchup with the White Sox than St. Louis would be. (It's pretty clear that other than Carpenter, the Cardinals just don't have the pitching.)

Also, I'm biased because I picked Houston to face the Yankees at the start of the year.
            Last edited by reismark; October 17, 2005, 00:08.
            CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
            Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
            Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
            Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Over the regular season, the Cards were, by far, the class of the NL. Their pitching is fine. They just can't keep their position players healthy, and it really came back to bite them. But St Louis has gotten their share over the years, so they get no pity from me.

But I agree with this -- whoever the NL sends, bring 'em on!
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                Over the regular season, the Cards were, by far, the class of the NL. Their pitching is fine. They just can't keep their position players healthy, and it really came back to bite them. But St Louis has gotten their share over the years, so they get no pity from me.

But I agree with this -- whoever the NL sends, bring 'em on!
                Quoted for TRUTH ...

Who'd have thought, FOUR COMPLETE GAME VICTORIES IN A ROW ... i doubt that's happened in the playoffs in the modern era, especially in the era of bullpens, superstar closers, and pitching to matchups ... yet the White Sox starting four were amazing, and El Duque (starting 5th) didn't do so badly himself in the last series. I feel confident that either team will be beatable ...
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The Cards are the anti-Cubs, so let them die their ignoble death.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

i doubt that's happened in the playoffs in the modern era

Depends on what you mean by 'modern era' . ESPN just said that the last team to do it was the 1928 Yankees.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      i doubt that's happened in the playoffs in the modern era

Depends on what you mean by 'modern era' . ESPN just said that the last team to do it was the 1928 Yankees.
                      That's pre-modern, by my definition. I suppose I consider the modern era in this case to be either the 4-man or 5-man rotation, though I should have specified. Probably the 4-man rotation; that was what, 1950s or so? That really began the modern art of the pitcher, and also started the bullpens ...

Comment

Usually people refer to post 1903 as the 'modern era' .

Comment

That rather depends on what modern you're talking about, though. IIRC, the basic rules for the game have been fairly static since 1903 (hence that distinction); however, pitching dramatically increased in import in the last 50-60 years. In the 30s, don't forget that Babe Ruth was a star PITCHER ...

However, as I said before, I should have said "in the four/five man rotation era".

Comment

Babe Ruth was a star pitcher for Boston from 1914 to 1919. After he was traded to the Yankees, he almost never pitched -- once in 1920, twice in 1921, once in 1930 and once in 1933. What's interesting is that he was 5-0 in his 5 appearances for NY.

His lifetime record on the mound was 94-46.

Click here for The Babe's lifetime stats, hitting and pitching.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

GO WHITE SOX
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X