X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I go to church once a lifetime.

Voted Never /But spiritual.

Comment

• God will probably condemn me to hell because my work schedule does not always permit me to attend services at our local Metropolitan Community Church.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat
        Actually no. Why should you destroy your life and love because of religion ?

If you have different belifs then attend them for yourself and don't push it upon the other part.

Children ? Well, agree to not push any of them on them - let them descide for themselfs.
        Religion shouldn't be looked at much different than other child rearing issues that can be devisive. Personally I'm in a pickle because I have a very specific idea about raising my potential children. A non-coercive, respectful, pro-youth rightsy method. This is something I am NOT going to compromise on. So if I were dating a girl who insited that "spare the rod, spoil the child" was a good parenting method, there is no way we'd have a future.

So if someone were as strict about their religious faith as I am with my youth rights 'faith' then its mostly the same situation they'd run into. Would I destroy my love so as not to destroy my children? Yea. It'd be tough, but ultimately, yea.

As for religion, I am more religious than most of the people on these boards and attend mass every week, but I won't force my religion on my kids. I will provide a good example of my faith and really really hope they follow it, but ultimately the decision rests with them. It would go against my very core to force them into it (plus it'd most likely backfire).
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• The religiousness of the US is one of the reasons I'm not having kids. I don't want angery parents screaming at me because my kid is telling thier kids that religion is stupid.

Comment

• Actually in a meeting with Archbishop Michael Ramsey in 1964 Paul VI declared the Anglican Churches and the (Roman) Catholic Church to be sister faiths, sharing common sacraments, and declared that Anglicans could partake of (Roman) Catholic communion. However, he didn't go so far as to grant reciprocity for (Roman) Catholics.
            Funny how times change, eh? I can't see them sharing ordination among other sacraments given the direction the Anglican church has gone since then.

It is true that they had large ecumenical meetings between Catholics and Anglicans, but their recent divisions have made that a chasm.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin
              The religiousness of the US is one of the reasons I'm not having kids. I don't want angery parents screaming at me because my kid is telling thier kids that religion is stupid.
              I can name another reason you're not having kids

Comment

• but I won't force my religion on my kids. I will provide a good example of my faith and really really hope they follow it, but ultimately the decision rests with them. It would go against my very core to force them into it (plus it'd most likely backfire).
                How do you square that with the requirement of the Catholic church to have children baptised? You are right that the decision rests with the kids, but the parents are called to teach their children and to try to live their life as best as they can. How are you going to square those up Ozzy?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• I don't want angery parents screaming at me because my kid is telling thier kids that religion is stupid.
                  Great, one less liberal.

Comment

• Why do you need to push your belief upon the other part ? You don't do it if it's political differences - why should religious belief be different?
                    Religion, if practiced, inevitably becomes an issue. To practice pushes your belief upon the other person. Political opinions are a rather different sort then religion for this reason.

Let the children learn both or neither and let them descide for themself. Thats the only human thing to do unless of course you think that it's reasonable to impress them from early childhood with the "right" belief.
                    As for both or neither, that's a very good question. The church says that the children are to be baptised Catholic, and that the other party has to agree to this before marriage. So the question then becomes, for someone who is not Catholic, whether they will uphold their promise.

Teaching both can be done by showing the differences between the two, but that does not negate the promise that the non-Catholic christian made, to teach the kids about the Catholic church.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP

Religion shouldn't be looked at much different than other child rearing issues that can be devisive. Personally I'm in a pickle because I have a very specific idea about raising my potential children. A non-coercive, respectful, pro-youth rightsy method. This is something I am NOT going to compromise on. So if I were dating a girl who insited that "spare the rod, spoil the child" was a good parenting method, there is no way we'd have a future.

So if someone were as strict about their religious faith as I am with my youth rights 'faith' then its mostly the same situation they'd run into. Would I destroy my love so as not to destroy my children? Yea. It'd be tough, but ultimately, yea.

As for religion, I am more religious than most of the people on these boards and attend mass every week, but I won't force my religion on my kids. I will provide a good example of my faith and really really hope they follow it, but ultimately the decision rests with them. It would go against my very core to force them into it (plus it'd most likely backfire).
                      If both parents agrees that their child should be raised in a certain religious view, well, so be it - I just pity the child. What I commented was the situation with parents of different beliefs.

I really don't care if people has a religious belief as long as they keep it private, or rather that it is something they practice for themself. I just don't like it when they try to impose it upon others.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• you bring up your child with other beleifs..

that is part of being a parent

what is it abotu religious beliefs that make it so that you can't bring up your child in it?

the beleif that religious beleifs should be kept private is a belief, that the parent can have or not have, and can bring their child up in or not

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Regarding the situation about Communion, I think everyone is focusing too much on "Anglicans," (aka non Catholic Christians.

I know 3 cases of Catholic women married to Buddhist men, and in every single one of those cases (each in a different chuch), none of the women are allowed to take part in Communion.

Very ironic a religion that supposedly holds women in such high regard, even worshiping one, doesn't even let women lead the church. (Women not allowed to be Priests).
                          Last edited by Ted Striker; October 22, 2005, 01:45.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                            I have heard from a ffew girls that i went to school with, they are from india and i believe they are hindus They told me that the females when on their monthly cycle arent allowed in the temples during this time i wonder if this is true.
                            Untrue . It's a self-imposed discipline - you should , of your own accord , not go to the temple if you on the cycle .Nobody is going to stop you if you do go - but nobody will really like your going , either . It is , however , possible that they are not allowed inside the sanctum sanctorium ( the innermost chamber ) for certain ceremonies during that time ( that is , a contravention of these rules will void the intended effect of that ceremony - it will simply not count as having being done ) .

Maybe it was family pressure on these girls ?

Comment

• Women not allowed to be Priests
                              Women are, according to BK, "subordinate" to men in Catholicism, but somehow remain equal ("the greatest among you must be servant to all"--apparently a quote by Jesus used as BK's justification. And presumably the rest of this thread too: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1 --skip the spam to more or less the second page and past it for discussion on a woman's role in Catholicism.
                              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                              X