No announcement yet.

Lovely Rita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I'll have to change the CD in my player from "New Orleans Jazz Funeral" to Steve Ray Vaughn's "Texas Flood".
    My cousin lives in Dallas, but I suppose that is pretty safe as long as you stay indoors.

Meanwhile in Bangladesh:
    More than 50 people have been killed and many are unaccounted for in fierce storms and flooding that have hit the Bay of Bengal since the weekend.
    Officials in Bangladesh believe scores of fishermen may be missing.

Indian authorities say dozens were killed and hundreds are missing in Andhra Pradesh state.

More than 140,000 have been evacuated there after rains swelled rivers and inundated villages, disrupting roads, trains and power supplies.
    ---
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Category 5.

This one's a big mother.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ben, being inland will not help necessarily. Of the 400 people killed by the 1938 Long Island Express, 200 of them were inland, including some in Canada. Many people die insland from these storms because of flash floods and swollen rivers.
        Well I don't really understand. We don't get many hurricanes up in Northern Canada, where I am from, so I don't know what that's like.

But if this is a class 5,
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You're not from Northern Canada, Ben.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd guess you're gonna get more than just rain and flooding. This thing will be bigger than Katrina (if not more powerful). We are about the same distance from the coast as SA (I think) and the eye was 100-150 miles west of us as it came north and we still lost our roof.
            Whoa, that's not good.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

You're not from Northern Canada, Ben.
              Only town bigger then mine at a more northerly latitude is Edmonton.

Comment

the scary thing is the city doesnt close down for heavy heavy rains and the drivers out here dont know how to drive in the rain. My perdiction is if we get that much rain we will see more deaths due to car accidents then from flooding
                Very true. The SA drivers don't know how to drive in inclement weather. It's horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Edmonton's not in Northern Canada either.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It is now a cat 5 but the forcasters sayit will down grade as soon as it get closer to land cause of the shallow waters on the coast lines. now I am no meterologist but i hope they is right. Last time a storm of lesser magnitude hit sa flooded bad. The city was pretty much held at a stand still for a day and caused over 5 million in damage. Course this is nothing compared to what the coast is to expect
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Given that most of Canada's urban centres are clustered in the south, I don't think that makes you northern Canada-- heck I don't even consider Edmonton to be northern Canada given the expanse to the north of it. If Edmonton is northern Canada what does that make Iuktoyuktuk, Iqualiut, Nunavut etc
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                        You lost your roof from this rita hurricane??
                        or the katrina?
                        katrina, winds here were still 50-60 (and gusts higher than that) as it passed 100 miles from Birmingham.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

Given that most of Canada's urban centres are clustered in the south, I don't think that makes you northern Canada-- heck I don't even consider Edmonton to be northern Canada given the expanse to the north of it. If Edmonton is northern Canada what does that make Iuktoyuktuk, Iqualiut, Nunavut etc
                          Here's my rule of thumb: if somebody claims to come from Northern Canada and they're not Inuit then they're lying.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Given that most of Canada's urban centres are clustered in the south, I don't think that makes you northern Canada-- heck I don't even consider Edmonton to be northern Canada given the expanse to the north of it. If Edmonton is northern Canada what does that make Iuktoyuktuk, Iqualiut, Nunavut etc
                            Prince George is considered part of northern British Columbia. Certainly, we are not part of the arctic, but we live further north then the vast majority of people do in Canada.

Comment

• You might be from Northern BC. Not Northern Canada.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Well, it certainly isn't like Vancouver, either. But then again, nowhere else in Canada is like Vancouver.

Comment

Working...
                                X