Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I was going to say Oscar Wilde too, since his best works were all in the Victorian period.

Glad to see someone beat me.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Since Lord Dunsany wasn't published until 1905, I decided to do a little SF research. Here are some results. One for each side, so to speak.

1805: "The Last Man", novel by Jean-Baptiste Xavier de Grainville first published in France as the poem "Le dernier homme." It created a subgenre
        complete with destroyed metropolises, the end of civilization, and the final man and final woman, who in this case are convinced by Adam not to breed a new race of humanity.

1819: Dr. Polidari publishes "The Vampyre" in the "New Monthly Magazine." This is perhaps the first major vampire fiction in English.
        Lord Ruthven - the vamp.
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          I was going to say Oscar Wilde too, since his best works were all in the Victorian period.

Glad to see someone beat me.
          Promoting a gay icon !

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Anything published up to 1914 should be included, that was the end of this particular peiod of european history
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Er. em, (cough).

Bebro, when two gangs rumble, they DONT want another gang butting in. Feel free to mention French or British authors, though.
              What? But we here at Channel 36 Spanish Language TV so deeply desire a chance to kick all you all's asses!
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• I've already said that since Wilde is Irish, he doesn't count!

Comment

• [stupid poly comment]Why can't the French and the Brits simply nuke it out and be done with it[/stupid poly comment]

Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                    Laz is right, the French haven't got a hope when it comes to poets. Although if anyone mentions Wordsworth as a Great Britain hope, then I'll laugh so much I might spill my pint. And you wouldn't want that to happen.
                    Fortunately, although he wrote almost all of his work in Britain, Wilde doesn't count, or else they'd have a pretty tough time with drama too.

Stick to the novels mes braves!
                    I think Wordsworth is worthy of mention. I share his veneration of nature and I can identify with the way he experiences nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Promoting a gay icon !

Long time ago when I had AOL, I put an Oscar Wilde quote in my member profile. Almost immediately, I began to get IM'd by gay guys. I removed the quote and the IM's stopped. I think by I must have stumbled upon some kind of secret protocol for gays on AOL that indicates availablility..
                      Last edited by Brundlefly; August 25, 2005, 08:24.

Comment

• I ride the train with a girl from Liverpool who came to the US to teach Literature at the university level. When I asked her what American Literature she enjoys, she turned her nose up. I was surprised to hear from her that the British completely ignore American Literature at university. You are doing yourselves a great disservice. Poe, Dickinson, Twain, Whitman, and Melville, for starters, are all exceptional 19th century American authors..

Comment

• Mark Twain . It's a shame if some snobby lit person never read anything by him.

Poe is also very good as well.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Conrad is 20th Century, due to Heart of Darkness being published in 1902. So the Brits can't use Conrad.
                            Nostromo says Heart was published in 1899.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Thomas Hardy?
                              Good point, in quality, if not necessarily in influence.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                                Do Gilbert and Sullivan count?
                                I say no. No librettos.
                                Last edited by lord of the mark; August 25, 2005, 09:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X