British vs French 19thc century lit rumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheStinger
    Anything published up to 1914 should be included, that was the end of this particular peiod of european history
    i know, "the long 19th century" To avoid quibbles about the start and end dates, i say we stick to 1800-1899.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Mark Twain . It's a shame if some snobby lit person never read anything by him.

Poe is also very good as well.

Rules specified no Americans. We have to give the French a fighting chance.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
        I've already said that since Wilde is Irish, he doesn't count!

To avoid quibbles, we've said that anyone who lived under the crown and wrote in English counted. Bascially all English language literature, minus the Americans. And for this purpose Henry James is an American, no matter how much time he spent in England.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Nostromo says Heart was published in 1899.
          1902. Besides that, wasn't he Ukranian?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brundlefly

Wasnt he a naturalized British subject?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brundlefly

web sources give both dates. I think it was published in serial form first, and perhaps that is the confusion.

Comment

• He was a Pole, and became a naturalized Brit as an adult. He became a rabid apologist of the British Empire, oddly enough (despite his objections to the Belgian variant).
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

• I am shocked, -shocked- to find that Wilde went unmentioned for so long. He really is an absolutely splendid writer, in all of the styles that he took up.

I really ought to read more of Hardy, and more of all of these authors, especially considering I'm an english major... *bows head shamefully*
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

• The Marquis de Sade published some works after 1800, although most of his oeuvre is from the 1700s.

Now THAT's a heavy hitter
                    What?

Comment

• Originally posted by monolith94
                      I am shocked, -shocked- to find that Wilde went unmentioned for so long. He really is an absolutely splendid writer, in all of the styles that he took up.

I really ought to read more of Hardy, and more of all of these authors, especially considering I'm an english major... *bows head shamefully*

Wilde was Irish, for the third time ...

Comment

• ... and thus he counts by the rules in the OP, duh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus

Wilde was Irish, for the third time ...
                          from the OP:

"To count as British, they have to live under the crown, and write in English - so Scots, Canadians, Aussie, yes, but no Americans. French can be from anywhere, as long as they write in French."

Comment

• I hate to let my side down, but Thomas Hardy's 'Trumpet Major' was the most tedious and excruciating book I ever read.

The best thing Thomas Hardy did was to not finish the job he was assigned at St Pancras cemetry in North London. When the railway was built he was tasked with moving many of the inhabitants and their stones. I'm not sure where the corpses went, but the headstones are still there - stacked round a tree whose roots have been entagled in them. It even more gothic than the St Pancras Station hotel.
                            Last edited by Cort Haus; August 25, 2005, 13:07.

Comment

Comment

• Well, James Joyce then. If we're allowed the Oirish the floodgates are opened

Comment

Working...
                                X