No announcement yet.

Armstrong: too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always believed that Lance was clean.

But these tests have changed my mind.

Boo.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I remember discussing this with TCO at the DC meet a couple of years ago. He thought that Lance was juicing. I said he wasn't....
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Every top level cyclist these days is juicing. I've seldom been more certain of anything in my life. And I'm baffled that other people continue to pretend those aren't the realities.

Comment

I guess we're now substituting hunches for evidence, nowadays...
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Those we're just the IOC testers constantly out to get him.
            L'Équipe ~= IOC ?

if Lance Armstrong himself admitted to being doped, they probably wouldn't believe it.
            And if L'Équipe admitted they falsely accused Armstrong all these years, some still would believe Armstrong was an excessive drug user.

Every top level cyclist these days is juicing.
            Why just cyclists and not all top level athletes?

Comment

No, I was basing my earlier opinions on the tests done.

I'm basing my new opinion on this new test.

It's a credible claim, Dan. Pro athletes do take substances which are difficult to test for in order to avoid getting caught. I don't see why you're reacting so strongly to a claim backed by a positive test result when the claim is not that farfetched. EPO has only recently become detectable. For a long time it was known that the indirect EPO testing was pretty easy to fool. Lance got caught having doped in the past
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The evidence is all around and has been for years. In my view, it's like a variant of the anhtropic principle; if most athletes didn't avoid detection, there'd be no sport of cycling at all. And everybody - riders, aides, teams, sponsors, organizers, officials - have a common interest in keeping up the charade. It's their livelihoods, careers, reputations at stake here.

And everytime a rider is busted, it's quickly hushed up, and everyone continues as if nothing had happened. Well, over time, at least to me, the evidence mounted, and a larger picture started showing. That's when I abandoned all interest in the sport for good. And I was a pretty avid fan at one time, but no more.

Comment

While it could be true, this is far from conclusive evidence.
                  And since there are no back up sample to test (which is why they keep 2 samples in the first place) I don't think it's fair to paint a person's whole career black based on one unsubstantiated test when he sampled most of his career an came up clean.

He deserves the benefit of doubt, but as with any successful athlete, he won't get it.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    No, I was basing my earlier opinions on the tests done.

I'm basing my new opinion on this new test.

It's a credible claim, Dan. Pro athletes do take substances which are difficult to test for in order to avoid getting caught. I don't see why you're reacting so strongly to a claim backed by a positive test result when the claim is not that farfetched. EPO has only recently become detectable. For a long time it was known that the indirect EPO testing was pretty easy to fool. Lance got caught having doped in the past
                    KH

did you rerad the Velosports article that Boris cited? It raises real questions as to how this test was done.

To Winston et al-- I will never state that "Armstrong is/was clean"-- I don't know that . . . But I want to give everyone the benefit of the doubt so until there is convincing proof, I will continue to give that benefit. The jury on this allegation is still out . But the methodology of gathering the information raises a lot of questions and the Velo article raises serious doubts. If the test was recent, how do they account for the degradation of the sample??
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by rah
                      when he sampled most of his career an came up clean.
                      Not on tests for EPO because they didn't have them
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by rah
                        While it could be true, this is far from conclusive evidence.
                        And since there are no back up sample to test (which is why they keep 2 samples in the first place) I don't think it's fair to paint a person's whole career black based on one unsubstantiated test when he sampled most of his career an came up clean.

He deserves the benefit of doubt, but as with any successful athlete, he won't get it.
                        I concur
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Not on tests for EPO because they didn't have them
                          Well yes they did from 2001 onward

Comment

• Winston:

While I understand your suspicion, I'm not sure I understand your giving up on a sport you apparently once liked quite alot. If you think all the top riders are juiced, wouldn't that just mean a level playing field where no one is really cheating vis-a-vis one another? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but cycling isn't like baseball where individual records keep going throughout the ages. They change the route of the Tour de France every year, so it's not like someone's total time is ever comparable to that of another year.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Its such a moving target in sports as well. Five years ago a player could admit they were juiced in baseball and there was nothing. Now there are senate hearing s and suspensions.

Cyclists used to do "blood doping"-- they would transfuse themselves with Blood taken from their own bodies at a prior time-- (apparently there is an endurance benefit)- there is no foreign substance but I think they count various types of blood cells-- This probably still goes on since there is no way to test for it -- all they can spot are the results. There are vitamins and steroid creams and nutritional supplements. Some things are legal and some are not and I expect the bar will keep moving. Take caffene-- ist in lots of things but can be abused

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

Well yes they did from 2001 onward
                                And by then the top cheaters had probably moved on to EPO mk 2
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X