No announcement yet.

Armstrong: too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what, it is now common to freeze urine samples and re-test again after doping controls have gotten better. Samples from Salt Lake 2002 were tested again after the ability to trace previously hidden substances improved dramatically.

Yeah he had cancer, wonder why
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Oh and I see there is no urine left to be tested so there is nothing left that Armstrong could point to and exonerate himself .
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
        Oh and I see there is no urine left to be tested so there is nothing left that Armstrong could point to and exonerate himself .
        yes...

usually when and old sample is tested and it says you're guilty, you can't use that same sample to say you are innocent
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
          This junk again

Some people just can't leave it alone, Lance Armstrong has probably continuously busted his ass in the gym every second since he got off his hospital bed. I mean, he'd have to, to do this amazing thing without roids. Some people are just jealous I guess.
          Indeed.

And as a reminder, from 2001, when EPO was detectable, Armstrong never tested positive for it or any other substance, and he was posting even stronger victories. This doesn't jive with notions of him doping prior to that.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
              And as a reminder, from 2001, when EPO was detectable, Armstrong never tested positive for it or any other substance, and he was posting even stronger victories. This doesn't jive with notions of him doping prior to that.
              It's common knowledge that almost every athlete/trainer at that level is ahead of the testers when it comes to doping. The year Ben Johnson tested positive at the Olympics he had already passed 17 controls with flying colors.
              What?

Comment

"But Ben Johnson set a new World Record! And he survived a serious bout of stutter. Those we're just the IOC testers constantly out to get him. And you know what, the guy's retired. I wish people would just leave him alone."

Comment

Exact! And what about greek sprinters caught after simulating a car accident in order to avoid a doping test? They were never found positive, so what? Why were they hiding then?
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                    "But Ben Johnson set a new World Record! And he survived a serious bout of stutter. Those we're just the IOC testers constantly out to get him. And you know what, the guy's retired. I wish people would just leave him alone."
                    Very different-- as a Canadian I felt serious disappointment over the Ben Johnson affair. He was caught . He was doping .

Lance Armstrong was tested on season and off randomly for years. Was there doping available that would be undectable even if tested within hours? I don't know the answer.

The unfortunate thing is that, aside from the Armstrong case, we have gotten to a situation where we ASSUME they are all doping. Anyone good at a sport, we figure they must be on the juice. The odd thing is that there have been folks with exceptional talents all through history.

Would an unjuiced home run hitter have hit as many homers against an unjuiced pitcher?

As for Armstrong, the source of this story is an organization that has been hostile to him from the beginning. They can hardly be considered unbiased and their methodology here sucks. On any current day allegation, an athlete can say "take my blood, I'm clean"-- On this one there is no possibility to do that.
                    Last edited by Flubber; August 24, 2005, 14:44.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      yes...

usually when and old sample is tested and it says you're guilty, you can't use that same sample to say you are innocent

Don't be dumb. The whole idea of a "B" sample is to have it on hand for retesting so that people can dispute testing methodology, impartiality etc.

Here Armstrong is faced with a situation where "hey it was anonymous so the urine wasn't linked to you but some numbers matched so its yours and oh by the way there is nothing left to be sent to another lab or whatever. "

If some of these scientists were as "out to get" Armstrong as some stories claim, is it out of the realm of possibility that some results were faked.

I still want to know how the media got their hands on the test results and Armstrong's certificates. That stuff is usually not public, is it?? If not, someone broke with ethics to provide it.

Comment

"We are extremely surprised that urine samples could have been tested in 2004 and have revealed the presence of EPO," Ayotte said in an interview with VeloNews on Tuesday. "EPO - in its natural state or the synthesized version - is not stable in urine, even if stored at minus 20 degrees."

EPO is a protein hormone and it is not stable in urine, even when kept frozen," she said. "This has long had implications for any plan we've had to keep samples and specimens for long periods of time with the hope that we might, some day, retest those samples for a new substance."
                        It's highly unlikely--even, perhaps, impossible--that EPO could still be reliably detected after 5 years. This throws further doubt on the validity of these charges. It certainly doesn't make sense that they retested the urine last year.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The unsettling thing here is some people's reaction; if Lance Armstrong himself admitted to being doped, they probably wouldn't believe it. If he died 2 weeks from now in his sleep, aged 34, they wouldn't believe he was ever doped.

He's right up there with Nelson Mandela.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

It's highly unlikely--even, perhaps, impossible--that EPO could still be reliably detected after 5 years. This throws further doubt on the validity of these charges. It certainly doesn't make sense that they retested the urine last year.

Thanks Boris-- I just read the whole thing and the interestign part to me was about the development of "qualitative" rather than "quantitative" standards.

So the top canadian expert says that the samples degrade within 3 months hey ?? Questions abound it would seem .

Comment

if Lance Armstrong himself admitted to being doped, they probably wouldn't believe it
                              You just pulled that out of your ass. The fact is that Armstrong hasn't admitted to being doped.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                                This crap AGAIN

He's retired now and not once, NOT ONCE did he test positive despite being tested randomly year round for the last 7 years. I'll need more than some French journalists suppositions.
                                They've got tests for substances which they didn't have 7 years ago.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X