Going to college unready for it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Colleges don't have to dumb down material. They can flunk students. High schools can't do that because they will have a hoard of angry parents all over them like flies on ****.
    Actually my friends who teach at colleges have told me stories about being under pressure from administrators to change grades due to pressure on them by parents.

It's disgusting - where is academic intergity those days?

From what I understand the only place college professors are 'safe' to grade whatever they wish is at a community college and I'm not even so sure about that.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• College provides a few services.
      1. It teaches a technical trade.
      2. Or for those non technical it teaches a thinking process in research and analysis.

But the biggest service it does is gives you the code words for you to pretend to be educated at future work related functions. Those that can discuss the edges of the social sciences and turn their noses up at those that weren't educated to make themselves feel better about themselves. And it allows them to look at those that focused on the technical and avoided the social science, and just refer to them as abnormal geeks.

For some it just shows that you paid the money to join the club. And since it excludes a large part of the lower classes, so much the better.

Needless to say, I laugh a lot at Business parties.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Rufus nailed it.

It's disgusting - where is academic intergity those days?
        The job market in academia, and especially the humanities, is very, very tight right now. Universities are letting more and more teaching be done by grad students, or by adjuncts (who are paid only $2-3k per course, and have no benefits package), or are increasing class size so that they don't have to hire anybody at all. So imagine you are one of the lucky ones who has a full-time academic job; sure, it probably pays less than the unionized bus drivers make in your town, but you went to school for a decade or more in the hopes that you could spend the rest of your life pursuing your arcane passion, and your dream is being realized. And now the pressure's on to pass a failing student.

You're going to invoke academic integrity? You're going to resign, and probably never find another job in your field? And then what -- go work at Barnes & Noble, where at least you get to be around your beloved books all day, while trying not to think about all the money and years you've just thrown away? But at least Billy Bob Bonehead didn't get an unearned grade in the Modern British Novel, eh?

I don't think so.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

• There is grade inflation even in the places that get to chose their own students and pay their professors 100,000 a year plus.

Don't you guys remember the scandal at Harvard when a professor protested what he saw a rampant grade inflation by giving students two grades, the Harvard grade and the grade he thought they actually deserved?
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander

After reading this a couple of times I think I understand what you're trying to say, though really the whole thing needs a rewriting. I think you are correct that now (my post was about 20-50 years ago but nevermind that for the moment) a lot of people are getting into teaching as a second career etc., which theoretically should / has improved teacher quality. But it is most certainly not a wash. Our economy will never again be able to manipulate the talents of more than half the population so that they are left with only a few realistic choices for the educated amongst them. Good and talented people will be drawn to teaching as they always have, but they will no longer to be forced by necessity.

In short you are wrong, incapable of following what someone else has written and incapable yourself of writing something that can be readily understand. You're a perfect poster child for the decline of American K-12 education in the latter half of the 20th century.

You also ignore the fact that most women stayed home in the past. Now most women are in the workforce, thus increasing the number of available women overall.

In short your theory is nothing more than speculation based on nothing.

I like your insults though.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• But the biggest service it does is gives you the code words for you to pretend to be educated at future work related functions. Those that can discuss the edges of the social sciences and turn their noses up at those that weren't educated to make themselves feel better about themselves. And it allows them to look at those that focused on the technical and avoided the social science, and just refer to them as abnormal geeks.
              Yeah, that's what I found plenty of at the higher levels of my so-called 'education'. I particularly noticed my own writing class where in our final exam, we were all called to discuss the piece of writing that most impacted our theory. I ended up discussing Twain, and the beauty of simple language to convey thoughts and ideas. Needless to say, I did not pass the course.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• You're going to invoke academic integrity? You're going to resign, and probably never find another job in your field? And then what -- go work at Barnes & Noble, where at least you get to be around your beloved books all day, while trying not to think about all the money and years you've just thrown away? But at least Billy Bob Bonehead didn't get an unearned grade in the Modern British Novel, eh?
                As the saying goes, you can't eat integrity. That's because it cannot be bought, sold, obtained or procured for any cost.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• we're talking about apple and oranges here.

I didn't realise it at the time but I got a pretty solid classical liberal Arts education. There was a lot of mentoring and social contact with the teaching staff. It was subtle but they helped us a lot, including into careers, gently guiding us towards a future. My faculty had a talent spotting role I later found out.

Today its completely different - the degree factory has taken over. Class sizes and workloads make that kind of teacher student relationship simply impossible I'm told.

I think its a shame - university used to be a wholistic experience.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• I think this fits in with the discussion:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The only problem i can see with the article is it may, like much of american opinion, be playing the party politics game(Rep vs Dem). Still is bush anti-science or merely being selective, based on public opinion, with the siences government endorses? +What bearing is this likely to have on the education system in the US?
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• e're talking about apple and oranges here.

I didn't realise it at the time but I got a pretty solid classical liberal Arts education. There was a lot of mentoring and social contact with the teaching staff. It was subtle but they helped us a lot, including into careers, gently guiding us towards a future. My faculty had a talent spotting role I later found out.

Today its completely different - the degree factory has taken over. Class sizes and workloads make that kind of teacher student relationship simply impossible I'm told.

I think its a shame - university used to be a wholistic experience.

I don't know how it is in other departments, but in chemistry, especially in the advanced labs, each T.A. instructs a group of 2-3 students. The approach is very personal, and work in the lab, due to it's nature, includes many periods of discussions and talk about both professional issues, organic synthesis, and general chatter. This way a relatively strong tutor-student connection is established.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        If a school is so good that it can pick and choose its students, then handing out F's is no problem. But farther down the educational ladder, it's a buyers market, and if you're liberally handing out the F's, you will hear about it.
                        That's just not my perception. College enrollment seems to be very strong. Maybe that's just my college, but you have more experience so I won't argue with you.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                        X