No announcement yet.

Lost in Translation II - totally lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am back guys, I'll be making a pathway now and then send the poem. Depends on how much time I have, I plan to send it around Wednesday (Tuesday, I'll be going to Vienna).

Festival was really straining. On Wednesday it rained a lot, so the whole campsite was wet when we arrived early Thursday. Then it was nice sunny and all the dirt dried, but from Friday to Saturday it rained again heavily and all through Saturday so that everything was a real mud slide. People took turns sliding down the hills using whatever they could find. We had some good football matches hitting tents and some crazy guy was ****ting into a pile of cans while being cheered to by an ever growing crowd.
    The music was okay as well, but I didn't really fell for it. Weezer, Oasis, Foo Fighters, Kosheen, Queens of the Stone Age, Incubus, Hot hot heat, Asian Dub Foundation, ...

Oh yes and 31 people injured because a bridge broke down. I wasn't on it though.

Comment

Re: Lost in Translation II - totally lost

Code:
      Translate FROM:
      native: german
      fluently: english, spanish
      non-fluently: french, italian
      for fun: portuguese, nahuatl

Translate TO:
      native: german
      fluently: english, spanish
      for fun: french, italian
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Oh, I came late?
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Ok guys, I need your attention. It took me 2 days to compile a path that could provide for an interesting twist.
          If you are sure you can't do something in the path here, please say so, although I'd be quite displeased redrawing the whole thing (this is a lot of work).

Here is it:
          English -> |Bosh| -> Spanish -> |Chilean President| -> French -> |Cybershy| -> Dutch -> |Gangerolf| -> German -> |WernazumaIII| -> French -> |Flandrien| -> English (-> |Krill| -> French) -> |Az| -> Russian -> |Pave| -> Swedish -> |Winston| -> German -> |Adagio| -> Danish -> |Aivo1/2so| -> Finnish -> |Kassiopeia| -> English -> |Karoch| -> Spanish -> |Spiffor| -> French -> |Lord of the Mark| -> English
          (updated, Gangerolf changed, Flandrien and possibly Krill in)

Edit: with this update the variants have become meaningless now.

I'll go searching for a poem now.
          Last edited by Atahualpa; August 24, 2005, 07:45.

Comment

You decide which one is better, Atahualpa.

Comment

You didn't include dutch......
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                You didn't include dutch......
                How about this ?

in stead of French -> German

do

French -> Dutch (me)
                Dutch -> German (Cybershy)
                veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Translate FROM:
                  native: English
                  fluently: Latin
                  non-fluently: french

Translate TO:
                  native: English
                  fluently: Latin
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

That is if you want another link in the chain, that is...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

If Gangerolf wants to translate to Norwegian Bokmål, that's OK for me as well

Is Pave really up to the task of translating from Russian to Swedish?

Comment

Originally posted by Flandrien

How about this ?

in stead of French -> German

do

French -> Dutch (me)
                        Dutch -> German (Cybershy)
                        ok, I think I can get you in, but not here. That would be too easy, since you speak french natively and your dutch is probably superb as well. So Cybershy makes a very easy translation from dutch to german (which is really straight forward I think).

I have modified it that way that Gangerolf will now translate from Dutch to German and Werna from German to French. After this Flandrien is in, to possibly bring in meaning in the gibberish produced and if Krill feels up the task translating TO french, he could do English -> French for Az. Otherwise Az does English -> Russian, which is probably okay as well, although not that difficult.

Pave has to translate Russian, otherwise my plan is ruined!!!

Ok, the new list would be:
                        English -> |Bosh| -> Spanish -> |Chilean President| -> French -> |Cybershy| -> Dutch -> |Gangerolf| -> German -> |WernazumaIII| -> French -> |Flandrien| -> English (-> |Krill| -> French) -> |Az| -> Russian -> |Pave| -> Swedish -> |Winston| -> German -> |Adagio| -> Danish -> |Aivo1/2so| -> Finnish -> |Kassiopeia| -> English -> |Karoch| -> Spanish -> |Spiffor| -> French -> |Lord of the Mark| -> English

Comment

Uh. Can I use a french Dictionary?

Comment

I'm torn between the original proposal and the variant 1. For me, Spanish is really "for fun" and my French translation might give something difficult to LOTM.

In the original proposal, LOTM and me are at the end: if we mangle the text beyond recognition, it would still be interesting to see what happened before (and how the text was progressively deformed)

OTOH, in the first variation, we're at the beginning, and we could end up giving quite a nonsensical text for the others to figure out
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

And keep the poem rhyming my friends

Afterwards everybody should put his contribution in this thread so we can see how it evolved
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Dutch to German? This should be interesting
                                CSPA

Comment

Working...
                                X