No announcement yet.

Lost in Translation II - totally lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, the text was way over the top. We should try something a bit more down to earth this time, like a news article.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I thought it was hilarious.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

"Pour cause de coupure budgetaire, la lumiere au bout du tunnel sera dorenavant eteinte"

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be extended to a navy of small fishing boats.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Why the hell not. I like this game But I think it will be hard to avoid running into the same "problems" as last time, ie we'll probably get many easy translations + a few very hard ones...

----------------------------------------------

Translate FROM:
          native: norwegian
          fluently: english, german, danish, swedish
          non-fluently: czech, dutch
          for fun: latin, any latin language i guess

Translate TO:
          native: norwegian
          fluently: english
          non-fluently: german, danish, swedish

-----------------------------------------------
          CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
            I agree, the text was way over the top. We should try something a bit more down to earth this time, like a news article.
            A news article could be an idea. Although I think it's logically too consistent and too straightforward. I don't like to give too much details about it now as that will already introduce some bias.

Comment

Translate FROM:

Native: English
              Fluently: Spanish
              Non-fluently: Korean
              For fun: French, Levantine Colloquial Arabic

Translate TO:

Native: English
              Fluently: Spanish
              Non-fluently: Korean
              For fun: *none*
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I really think a tough text with a lots of translations is the way to go.
                If ppl can understand the global idea of the text, it makes translation easier.
                Optimally you want the translations to be perfect word for word, but meaningless from a global point of view.
                You need a hard text for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
                  Optimally you want the translations to be perfect word for word, but meaningless from a global point of view.
                  I agree with this. I also think it should be no longer than 100-150 words or thereabouts. This has to be fun, not like a major homework assignment.

And preferably not too many obscure words/phrases specific to some technical or academic field that only a few people command.

Comment

Translate FROM:

Native: Dutch
                    Fluently: English, German, Flemmish
                    Non-fluently: French
                    For fun: Lotusscript, Javascript, Java, QBasic

Translate TO:

Native: Dutch
                    Fluently: English, German, Flemmish
                    Non-fluently: French
                    For fun: Lotusscript, Javascript, Java, QBasic
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

And preferably not too many obscure words/phrases specific to some technical or academic field that only a few people command

Yes, because then someone might accidently mistranslate a couple of words, leading to a chain of wrong translations. And that wouldn't be funny at all, would it?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

As always, you're wrong. Of course that would be funny to no end, my point was that having to translate technical words or phrases you simply do not understand in the first place wouldn't.

Comment

What do you think about using a poem?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, as long as it's relatively contemporary (not much earlier than the 20th century).

Actually, using a poem is a great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              "Pour cause de coupure budgetaire, la lumiere au bout du tunnel sera dorenavant eteinte"

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be extended to a navy of small fishing boats.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

No matter what, we have got to have LOTM on this game.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X