No announcement yet.

Lost in Translation II - totally lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I come very late, but... In the midgame, Atahualpa says that it was more importan to translate the meaning of the poem, and to put them "poetic" that translate literally. I was to translate to my native languaje, so I put some "strange" word that sound more poetics, perhaps changing a little bit of meaning.

originally posted by Spiffor
    (4) I seriously wondered if "Alimana" was Germany. But I remembered it would be "Alemana" then. Since we were talking about a girl, and since I know the word "manana", I thought she was the beauty of the morning.
    Alimaña. Translation from the word "parasite". Parasite (english) = parásito (español), but it is not a poetic word. Alimaña, a english dictionnary says, is a predator, an animal which kills livestocks, like wolf or fox. It is not exactly an parasite, but "alimaña"have certain meaning of "bad", like "parasite", and is more poetic, I think.

(16) Well, if "ti amo" is "I love you", "mi amo" ought to be "my love", inn'it?

Mi amo = mi dueño = my owner.

Very good work to all. Very fun

And the next?
    Cuando la gente tiene lo suficiente para vivir,
    se advierte que no sabe para qué habría de vivir.
    Viktor Frankl

Comment

• So? Should we have a new round?
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• OT - In case Ata visits a little every now and then; I've thought about you quite a lot lately. I hope you're able to cope somewhat with the incredible loss you suffered. Small consolation, I know, but people here were and are affected by this also..

Comment

• Originally posted by Atahualpa
          You and 200 million english-only americans
          *is proud to be the only Yank who participated, and to stand up for all polyglot Americans (and especially for my Junior High School and High School French teachers)
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• If you do this again i'll join LOTM as an american participant
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• I was in first one, but was abroad during second one.
              Would gladly participate and help organize a third one if needed.

Comment

• If there's a new one, I'd rather want to participate this time.
                As noted, I think we should have a poem, but this time, everyone should translate to his/her native language and from any language he/she thinks to handle. The output by everyone should be a nice sounding poem (with constraints such as: an english poem that rhymes, must be translated so that it rhymes again). This means more work for the participants, but I think the whole game becomes more "art".
                In order to not lose any polyglot "recources" here, I think we could ask molly bloom, whom I'd like to thank again for his help, if he could issue a poem. The first one on the path could then collect all the texts.

Winston, thx for your sympathies. There's a rather long descision to get away a bit from OT and so I've been lurking more here lately. This is because whenever I approach it, I tend to spend hours and that's simply too much. So I've been more active around Civ4, Civ3 forums and the SCS (practicing spanish).

Comment

• Yeah, I've been trying to cut down on this pesky OT browsing myself. Not an easy thing to do.

I'm in for the next translation game also. The poem idea is good, translating only to one's own language I'm not sure about.. but hey, I'll do anything if a new game is set up. Up to and including collecting the different versions as they roll in.

Comment

• A new signup thread has been posted...

I know the thread title for this game says II, while my game says IV, but actually this game is the third game... I gm'ed the second game, but there was a game before that

So now it's time to join

Comment

• lets do it again, count me in!

(native: french, english)
                      (fluent: swiss-french)
                      (for fun: swiss german )
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• I made the signup thread for people to post the info

So somebody should close this thread

Notice I've merged the "for fun" part with non-fluent

Comment

Working...
                        X